Nigel Short Returns to Ottawa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nigel Short Returns to Ottawa

Nigel Short is well know to Ottawa chess fans. In 2007, he headlined the Canadian Open and last September he conducted a simul and lecture series. The lectures received rave reviews and the simul was covered by ChessBase and other outlets.
    GM Short will be conducting a simultaneous exhibition at the RA Centre in Ottawa on Thursday 15 September. Registration will be taken at regular Thursday evenings through June for $30 per player. The July/August price will be $35 and, if there are places remaining, the September price will be $40. Thee will be a $5 discount for RA members.
    GM Short will also be presenting a lecture series on the following Saturday and Sunday afternoons (17-18 September). Registration will be $150 through June, $160 in July/August and $175 in September. there will be a $10 discount for RA members.
    Last edited by Gordon Ritchie; Wednesday, 29th June, 2011, 02:19 PM. Reason: correction

Re: Nigel Short Returns to Ottawa

how does one register?

Comment

Either at the RA Club on Thursday evenings or by mail to Gordon Ritchie, 1837 Juno Avenue, Ottawa, ON, K1H6S6.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
        Either at the RA Club on Thursday evenings or by mail to Gordon Ritchie, 1837 Juno Avenue, Ottawa, ON, K1H6S6.
        Unfortunately, there is a postal strike.

:(

Comment

It should be over by September.:)

Comment

Originally posted by Caesar Posylek View Post

:(
            There's Purolator. I had something delivered by them yesterday. There are also other courier services.

It would be too bad to miss out on something like this because of the postal strike considering all the other options for paying the entry fee.
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Caesar, in this case, maybe we could say fortunately...?
              Anyone who wants to enter but can't figure out a way around the little obstacle of a postal strike might not (to put it charitably) get their money's worth out of playing a simul against a 2600+ GM. :D
              Last edited by John Upper; Friday, 17th June, 2011, 09:30 PM.

Comment

im sure ottawa has at least a few ~1800s
                i rep back 3+

Comment

I will be collecting registrations for the Nigel Short simul and lecture series at the RA next Thursday 30 June. There will be an early bird price available through July of $30 for the simul (-$5 for RA members) and $150 for the lecture series (-$10 for RA).
                  Last year's simul was completely sold out and the lectures were very well attended and well received.

Comment

Please note that because of demand, the early bird rates for the simul ($30) and lectures ($150) will end at the end of the July 1st weekend. I will be taking registrations this Thursday at the EOCA tournament at the RA Centre. Thereafter, the summer rate will apply.

Comment

Re: Nigel Short Returns to Ottawa-Update

There are still a few spots remaining for the Nigel Short simultaneous exhibition on Thursday 15 September. The early bird rate remains in effect through this weekend.
                      Nigel tells me he plans to focus on his battles with Kasparov in his lecture series. There is plenty of room for more participants.
                      I will be collecting registrations at the Eastern Ontario Open at the RA Centre on Sunday.

Comment

Working...
                      X