Put yourself in the shoes of the Quebec Chess Federation (FQE)...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Put yourself in the shoes of the Quebec Chess Federation (FQE)...

For the record: The opinion expressed below is mine only.

In order to have a good relationship...it has to be win-win. Besides the FIDE card, what does the CFC have to offer?

This does not mean that the two organizations can not work on distinct projects together but overall, other than being a part of the family, ask yourself what the FQE has to gain in affiliation to the CFC.

As the Quebec Chess Federation (FQE)...

- You receive an annual contribution from the Quebec department of Education, Recreation and Sports which was approaching the 6 figures, the last time I looked.
    - You have an excellent website in French which is updated daily.
    - The Quebec Open and the Mauricie tournament are amongst the top 3 open tournaments in the country every year.
    - You offer a liability insurance plan to affiliated chess clubs
    - You have stability with the same office staff for many years
    - You have the "Tour du Quebec"...like a Grand Prix with 8 designated events around the province contributing to your overall score...and $3,500 in prizes awarded at the end of the season.
    - You have a bi-monthly hard copy magazine in French which is sent to members 6 times a year.
    - You have a reliable rating system to serve your members
    - You have Quebec Championships for various categories
    - You have a President who has brought structure, direction and sponsorship to chess in the province over the last 2 years.
    - You are the French publisher of Roman Pelts excellent book "Cours Complet d'echecs" (Comprehensive Chess Course in English) which can be used by players and teachers to about 1400 strength...and you offer it at half the price of the English publication.

and the list goes on. Of course there is still room for improvement but overall for Canada it remains very impressive.

So practically speaking, with this information, can you come up with a win-win scenario? I think one does exist but, under the circumstances, the CFC has to come to the table with realistic expectations.

Larry

Re: Put yourself in the shoes of the Quebec Chess Federation (FQE)...

Hi Larry, I am hopeful you and Chess & Math are well.

Impressive credentials for Quebec...I intend to re-join now that you have reminded me of this.

I have been a disgruntled CFC member for many years, notwithstanding the obvious positive efforts of some volunteers. The issue from my perspective has always been leadership - leadership to ignore irrelevant policy/rules/pettiness, and focus on collaborative promotion. I understand as well as any the fascination with competing for every nuanced point of view - but, to what end? We simply alienate everyone...versus expending that same energy toward positive shared goals. There are incredible talents to tap - Gordon Ritchie, Brian Fiedler, Ian Findlay, Sid/Alicia Belzberg, to name but a few...I recall having drinks with a former fundraiser for the Canadian Equestrian team who couldnt believe the chess Olympiad team wouldnt easily attract $100K+ per event...it is attitude, connections and leadership. If Quebec has superior leadership, let's utilize, or model this.

Brian

Comment

Re: Put yourself in the shoes of the Quebec Chess Federation (FQE)...

Originally posted by Brian Hartman View Post
      Hi Larry, I am hopeful you and Chess & Math are well.

Impressive credentials for Quebec...I intend to re-join now that you have reminded me of this.

I have been a disgruntled CFC member for many years, notwithstanding the obvious positive efforts of some volunteers. The issue from my perspective has always been leadership - leadership to ignore irrelevant policy/rules/pettiness, and focus on collaborative promotion. I understand as well as any the fascination with competing for every nuanced point of view - but, to what end? We simply alienate everyone...versus expending that same energy toward positive shared goals. There are incredible talents to tap - Gordon Ritchie, Brian Fiedler, Ian Findlay, Sid/Alicia Belzberg, to name but a few...I recall having drinks with a former fundraiser for the Canadian Equestrian team who couldnt believe the chess Olympiad team wouldnt easily attract $100K+ per event...it is attitude, connections and leadership. If Quebec has superior leadership, let's utilize, or model this.

Brian
      Hi Brian,

We are doing well thanks as we complete 26 years of bringing the game of chess to Canadian youngsters.

Chess'n Math, which closes it's financial year in a few days has had a good year thanks in large part to Francis Rodrigues who has rejuvenated our Toronto operation. Once again we are very proud of the services that we are offering in that community. Our school programs in Montreal and Toronto have grown over the last year and while Ottawa has not grown in a substantial way, they have cut back in overhead. The fact that we paid off the mortgage on our building in October 2010 and that we received substantial sponsorship for the Canadian Chess Challenge with the help of FQE President Marc Poulin and Victoria dynamo Brian Raymer...everyone is rowing in the same direction...so we are very healthy.

I have had my issues with the CFC over the years also...but (I know some people will not believe this) I would rather work with the CFC than work against it. But it has to be win-win.

You are right. The CFC has a huge potential...and the great people are out there (yourself included)...but a leader is needed who can bring everything together...it is not an easy task...but certainly a worthy one. Honestly, if Gordon Ritchie were given a 4-year mandate (Sorry Gord :), I think he could lead the CFC into the winners circle. I don't want this to be interpreted as a negative on previous CFC leadership. As I have stated previously, I think David did what had to be done and Bob was great. Now that the house is in order (thanks guys!)...we need someone to bring the organization to the next level. An organization that oversees chess in Canada and works with the major players to make things happen...less politics and more chess would be fun :)!

Larry

Comment

Working...
      X