X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rybka banned from the ICGA

Reading Susan Polgars Blog I came across this interesting post

http://susanpolgar.blogspot.com/2011...ka-banned.html

For those of you who have followed this story over the last few years, it should come to no surprise that Rybka is a clone of Fruit 2.1 and Crafty. I believe programmer Vasik Rajlich shot himself in the foot when he claimed that Houdini was a Rybka clone, yet the programmers of Houdini clearly state that they got their codebase from Fruit 2.1.

I wonder what happens now? will stores that sell chess software stop stocking Rybka because it clearly breaks copyright laws?

Here is the official report

http://www.chessvibes.com/plaatjes/r...ion_report.pdf

more files documenting how Rybka used code from Fruit2.1 and Crafty can be found here

http://www.chessvibes.com/reports/ry...championships/

Re: Rybka banned from the ICGA

Crafty is open source and can be freely copied though there is probably a provision requiring that credit be given to the original authors. Also Crafty is a direct descendent of Cray Blitz and I am not sure what that program's copyright provisions were though source code seems freely available. I have a feeling that things are a bit murkier than the headlines make them out to be.

The other question I have is that the software used for comparison is a beta version of Rybka (at least that is what I understood from a quick read of the evidence) so what evidence is there that the versions that actually competed had the offending code in them? Others online have suggested that the point of comparison is a very early version of Rybka as well. I think if the Rybka crew gets themselves a really good lawyer and sues in the appropriate venue then this could turn into quite a legal mess.

The people documenting the evidence may have violated terms of the various digital copyright protection laws in the U.S. and (at least proposed changes) in Canada as well if I am understanding the proof correctly. That may not be important depending on where they are based but is reason to give pause before proclaiming into law certain amendments which ban reverse engineering tools. I'm not sure of the relevant laws in Europe but know that aside from those that plead guilty for a deal, convictions seem to be a bit sparse under these draconian laws.

Comment

both crafty and Fruit are under the copyrighted works

Crafty - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/piper...er/001397.html

Fruit 2.1

http://wbec-ridderkerk.nl/html/details1/Fruit.html

The versions under question were Rybka 1.0 beta - Rybka 2.3.

They used disassembled Rybka code and compared them with parts of Fruit and Crafty and found them copied / pasted. This violates both Crafty and Fruit's copyright notices. I expect the Free software foundation lawyers will quickly get involved.

Disassembly is probably illegal in the US, but it isn't in Canada (yet), I expect that even if they went after the ICGA for disassembling Rybka that it wouldn't hold up in court anyways... not with the evidence they have that Rybka directly violated copyright laws.

What I find will be watching is whether chessbase or any of the other resellers will pull the product because of these copyright violations.

Either way Rybka's time has past... Houdini is now the king of the hill and most people use it to do serious analysis.

Comment

You can read the initial reaction from the Rybka community here, including posts from "bob", who seems to be Bob Hyatt, the creator of Crafty. Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Lohner View Post
          Disassembly is probably illegal in the US, but it isn't in Canada (yet), I expect that even if they went after the ICGA for disassembling Rybka that it wouldn't hold up in court anyways... not with the evidence they have that Rybka directly violated copyright laws.
          I take it you haven't read about Texas jury trials AKA the Lotto. I only glanced briefly at some of the linked evidence on Chessvibes.com. It didn't seem dead cinch, court of law convincing but I got bored after one or two documents.

I knew Rajlich as an opponent from team play and tournaments in the Detroit/Michigan area and find it hard to believe that he would do something like that which he has been accused of. It seems out of character.

Comment

Re: HUH?

"The ICGA has therefore decided as follows:

1.Vasik Rajlich is hereby disqualified from the World Computer Chess Championships (WCCC) of 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010."

So 5 years after....they decide Rybkka shouldn't have been eligble. What were they doing when Rybkka first entered? The ICGA seem like a bunch of idiots.

Michael Yip

Comment

Re: HUH?

Originally posted by Michael Yip View Post
              The ICGA seem like a bunch of idiots.
              Groups like this tend to be run by people involved in the controversies. The International Game Developer's Association is a prime example.
              Christopher Mallon
              FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Working...
              X