Blitz rules question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blitz rules question

This was a friendly game at the club; the players had agreed on "touch-move".

White touched a piece, moved a different piece, and then punched the clock. Black claimed a win.

White says, no, the penalty for a touch-move violation is to take back the move, and move the touched piece. If it was a tournament, the arbiter MIGHT give a warning, or even a time penalty.

Black says, a touch-move viloation is a loss, if the offending player presses the clock.

What do you guys say? (Yes, I checked the CFC rules... they seem to side with White.) Once again, this was a friendly game, with touch-move in effect.

Re: Blitz rules question

Pretty sure it's exactly what you suggest... Move the piece that was touched, warning and time penalty.

EDIT: For a friendly game it doesn't sound very friendly!
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
      This was a friendly game at the club; the players had agreed on "touch-move". White touched a piece, moved a different piece, and then punched the clock. Black claimed a win.

White says, no, the penalty for a touch-move violation is to take back the move, and move the touched piece. If it was a tournament, the arbiter MIGHT give a warning, or even a time penalty. Black says, a touch-move viloation is a loss, if the offending player presses the clock.

What do you guys say? (Yes, I checked the CFC rules... they seem to side with White.) Once again, this was a friendly game, with touch-move in effect.
      If Black (Arbiter) wants to penalize they have these options:

Code:
      13.4 The arbiter can apply one or more of the following penalties:

1. warning,
         2. increasing the remaining time of the opponent,
         3. reducing the remaining time of the offending player,
         4. declaring the game to be lost,
         5. reducing the points scored in a game by the offending party,
         6. increasing the points scored in a game by the opponent to
       the maximum available for that game,
         7. expulsion from the event.
      Thus everything in the hands of the opponent (arbiter). In this case, Black applied 13.4.4.

However the reasoning is too strong: "a touch-move violation is a loss, if the offending player presses the clock". It maybe different with other arbiter, player, or even situation, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
        If Black (Arbiter) wants to penalize they have these options... In this case, Black applied 13.4.4.
        Where are you quoting from? That doesn't look like CFC rules.

Comment

Where are you quoting from? That doesn't look like CFC rules.
          FIDE chess rules at http://www.fide.com/info/handbook?id=32&view=category
          Somehow I thought, that the CFC automatically adopts FIDE rules per Motion-XX-XX (or was it only an intention?)

Comment

Surely you can't be right. Powers of the arbiter to expell a player don't pass to the opponent, surely. Also, the arbiter is supposedly impartial, not to mention mature and of good judgement. None of my opponents are impartial, and very few have good judgement (they're chessplayers).

Comment

I have to agree with Chris ... THIS is a Friendly game??? :(

and, as others have pointed out, this is an arbiters decision and yes, John, the arbiter is to be an impartial person ... not an opponent in a game where there is a dispute ...

This is not a tournament game, so I am assuming that there was no arbiter ... They should have brought in an impartial 3rd party ... but ...

Ultimately: It doesn't matter ... I doubt that there was money on the game and I also doubt that these two players will play each other again any time soon ... this sounds REALLY petty! If it was supposed to be a friendly game, it should have carried on with the one player moving the piece he touched (they did agree on the touch move after all)

... strange ....
              ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
              Patrick McDonald

:D********;)

Comment

Yes, this was a "friendly" game. Unfortunately, we have a couple of players at the chess club who are incredibly picky when it comes to rules, one of them was Black in this dispute.

He loses all sense of judgement and gets into shouting matches over the most petty details. He is a very decent fellow away from the chess board.

Comment

Surely you can't be right. Powers of the arbiter to expell a player don't pass to the opponent, surely. Also, the arbiter is supposedly impartial, not to mention mature and of good judgement. None of my opponents are impartial, and very few have good judgement (they're chessplayers).
                  It was a friendly game, where both players are players, arbiters, prosecutors, advocates, jury, etc. Yes, if their dispute became too serious it is better to involve the third, fourth, all club members, and chesstalk readers :)

Probably, I (white) would resign and start a new game bubbling that the opponent is too strict :) As Black would remind the agreement on "Touch-Move" and move on.

Comment

Somebody should make a mockumentary about chess players in the same vein as Best in Show.
                    everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Working...
                    X