X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Open - top Canadians

From the final results here:

http://chesstournamentservices.com/c...-open-section/

It seems Victor Plotkin and Arthur Calugar were the highest Canadians with 5.5 / 9 (tied for 26-27 place), 0.5 ahead of GM Mark Bluvshtein in 28th place...
    and IM Leonid Gerzhoy in 30th place.

Well done Victor and Arthur!
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Re: World Open - top Canadians

Actually Plotkin and Calugar tied for 17th - 27th place. You are reading their placement from the rating order - there were no tie-breaks used.

Also, judging by the opponents ratings Victor may have gotten an IM norm.
    He played 3 GMs, 2 IMs and 1 WGM. Well done Victor!

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
      Actually Plotkin and Calugar tied for 17th - 27th place. You are reading their placement from the rating order - there were no tie-breaks used.

Of course! My bad. Thanks...
      PS: I did not mean to diminish the results of other Canadians... I just ran out of time to cut and paste.
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

I noticed a decent result in the under 2200 by Victor Dzera, probably a performance of over 2200, impressive for a senior!

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post

Plotkin had a great result and will gain something like 30 rating points. Unfortunately he didn't get an IM norm as 7 of his opponents were from 1 federation, the maximum is 6. Also, he played 1 unrated = 2050 which brings his average opponent's rating down below 2370, the minimum needed for an IM norm with a 5.5 score.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
            Plotkin had a great result and will gain something like 30 rating points. Unfortunately he didn't get an IM norm as 7 of his opponents were from 1 federation, the maximum is 6. Also, he played 1 unrated = 2050 which brings his average opponent's rating down below 2370, the minimum needed for an IM norm with a 5.5 score.
            In open tournaments if there is a sufficient amount of foreign players and foreign titled (20 and 10 respectively), then you don't need to meet the foreigner requirement. I think they refer to this as a "Super Swiss". So for Victor this was not a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Hansen View Post
              In open tournaments if there is a sufficient amount of foreign players and foreign titled (20 and 10 respectively), then you don't need to meet the foreigner requirement. I think they refer to this as a "Super Swiss". So for Victor this was not a problem.
              Thanks Eric,

So Plotkin missed the 2370 mimumum for an IM norm by only 9, average opponent rating 2361. He needed the unrated player to be 2125.

Thanks for telling me about this rule:
              1.43e Swiss System tournaments in which the competitors
              include at least 20 FIDE Rated players, not from the host
              federation, from at least 3 federations, at least 10 of
              whom hold GM, IM, WGM or WIM titles.

http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.ht...8&view=article

Unlike last year, this year's Canadian Open qualifies! I count at least 22 FIDE rated players not from the host country, 17 with titles.

I wish our Canadian masters luck in getting an IM norm.

Comment

Working...
              X