Incentives for Tournament Directors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incentives for Tournament Directors

Does anyone know why the CFC has no incentives for TDs?

Most TDs I know don't do tournaments for financial gain. I did a lot of tournaments last summer aimed primarily at juniors. I would come home after 8-9 hours and tell my wife that I made $40. That just made her even more mad at chess.

What I propose is that the CFC gives a per rating fee commission to TDs up to the total price of their own membership. This could be separate for junior fees and adult fees.

That would mean that a TD that organizes a lot of tournaments may not have to pay any membership fees. This wouldn't fix the problem with the wife, but at least I wouldn't have to tell her that I also gave the CFC another $50 just to play at all.

Re: Incentives for Tournament Directors

The CFC is Broke to everything they say anyway. If you want to get paid for your
    TD time you have to add it to your expenses.
    I do it for free as I feel giving players a chance to play the game they love is more important than reaping rewards from them via their entry fees.
    I'm sure other TDs' beg to differ.
    Hey I've been running tournaments since 1982 so what do I know?

Comment

Originally posted by Denton Cockburn View Post

Most TDs I know don't do tournaments for financial gain. I did a lot of tournaments last summer aimed primarily at juniors. I would come home after 8-9 hours and tell my wife that I made $40. That just made her even more mad at chess.

What I propose is that the CFC gives a per rating fee commission to TDs up to the total price of their own membership. This could be separate for junior fees and adult fees.

That would mean that a TD that organizes a lot of tournaments may not have to pay any membership fees. This wouldn't fix the problem with the wife, but at least I wouldn't have to tell her that I also gave the CFC another $50 just to play at all.
      A full day for $40? Given that TD'ing is so often a volunteer effort, my guess is that you're already at or above the median daily pay for a TD.

The time-honoured way to improve monetary status is to start a professional association. Lawyers were once regarded as the lowest scum (no offense intended towards invertebrate life forms), but they banded together in Bar Associations and now everything is different. So different.

But if you start a Pair Association, your wife might wonder if you're throwing good time after bad.

Now that everything is HST-able, maybe CFC-land does need a more effective rebate program. Submit 3 memberships (or 50 rating fees) in year X, then your membership is free / honourary in year X+1. Just the ghost of an idea, but I still think that the CFC and the provincial associations (which founded the CFC) could begin remaking their creation in the anniversary year 2012.

Comment

Originally posted by Denton Cockburn View Post

It's not for the CFC to do this - the budget and entry fees for any given tournament are entirely under the control of the organizer. So, assuming in your case that by TD you also mean that you are the organizer - just pay yourself and set entry fees accordingly.

Incidentally, as organizer, I always pay my TD. It's typically not much compared to a normal wage but it's certainly better than $40. (although I fail at providing any money for my own time as organizer).

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post

Now that everything is HST-able, maybe CFC-land does need a more effective rebate program. Submit 3 memberships (or 50 rating fees) in year X, then your membership is free / honourary in year X+1. Just the ghost of an idea, but I still think that the CFC and the provincial associations (which founded the CFC) could begin remaking their creation in the anniversary year 2012.
          the BCCF already recognizes anyone who organizes or TDs a BCCF event as a member. [as part of the membership fee reorganization that moved to charging a per player per tournament membership fee].

But yeah - anyone who brings in revenue for the organization should be recognized.

Comment

Who wants to be a TD. It is a suicide: Toronto and Chess.

Comment

Originally posted by Felix Nemenyi View Post
              Who wants to be a TD. It is a suicide: Toronto and Chess.
              actually, forget incentives. Both FIDE and the CFC have decided to charge TDs extra fees (in the CFC's case,every 6 years). (the CFC decided this I think at the last online meeting, see http://chess.ca/titleholders at the bottom of the page, item 20.4, although I haven't seen what the fees actually are.)

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
                actually, forget incentives. Both FIDE and the CFC have decided to charge TDs extra fees (in the CFC's case,every 6 years). (the CFC decided this I think at the last online meeting, see http://chess.ca/titleholders at the bottom of the page, item 20.4, although I haven't seen what the fees actually are.)
                Then most certainly Organizers and TDs should be deducting from entry revenues whatever fees they feel will meet the usual tests: 1) fair compensation for their time; 2) the limit the market will bear. The only condition I would add is that Os & TDs should declare their fee formula in any tournament advertising.
                "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
                  actually, forget incentives. Both FIDE and the CFC have decided to charge TDs extra fees (in the CFC's case,every 6 years). (the CFC decided this I think at the last online meeting,

I think it's a bit short sighted and can't see much incentive for players to go into organizing.

When I had directed tournaments for the ICCF tournament office, after 6 years they sent me a nice certificate and lapel pin with their IA title. There was no charge and no renewal fees. There was no pay for directing the events (it was voluntary) but they did reimburse my postage when I remembered to submit the receipts.

All things being equal, like the entry fees and prize money, I wonder if most players would sooner play in rated or unrated events. Maybe it would be easier to promote chess without ratings and those who are rating oriented could play in rated events run by someone else.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

It is slightly harder then that, you need to convince the CFC to force every organizer to hire a TD who is a member of the association. Basketball did it with the Canadian Association of Basketball Official. The only involvement of Canada Basketball in Official certification is to sign the recommendation for IA because only a national federation can do that.

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                    The time-honoured way to improve monetary status is to start a professional association. Lawyers were once regarded as the lowest scum (no offense intended towards invertebrate life forms), but they banded together in Bar Associations and now everything is different. So different.

Comment

Working...
                    X