Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CFC AGM Day 1/July 11, 2011

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    Well I'm not 100% sure, I don't know everyone very well and they were all sitting in a group, but I'm pretty sure that it was Brian Fielder (sp?). Bob A is PR Coordinator and Vlad Drkulek (sp?) is the Tournament Coordinator. I believe they intend to work as a team to some extent.
    Brian Fiedler
    Vlad Drkulec

I was a bit surprised when I was nominated as there was no prior warning but decided to stand for the position. I look forward to some interesting developments in Canadian Chess over the next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Gladstone View Post
      Who is the Fundraising Coordinator?
      Brian Fiedler.

Comment

Re: Thank you very much for the updates...

Originally posted by Paul Beckwith View Post
        Kerry, for f### sakes, the proper name is "climate change", not "global warming"; and keep on topic please...
        It was intitially called "global warming", but the scam was poetically refuted by Mother Nature herself when the world started getting colder after the globalists created this fake scare as a pretext to carbon tax us to death and further control our lives, and as a result of the cooling of the planet the globalists had to change the name to "climate change", but it is still a total scam.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
          It was intitially called "global warming", but the scam was poetically refuted by Mother Nature herself when the world started getting colder after the globalists created this fake scare as a pretext to carbon tax us to death and further control our lives, and as a result of the cooling of the planet the globalists had to change the name to "climate change", but it is still a total scam.
          That pretty well summarizes my take on the whole subject.

Comment

Vlad and Brad and Gary, the three stooges...

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Beckwith View Post
              Vlad and Brad and Gary, the three stooges...
              You're getting to be such an arsehole I'm having a hard time justifying bothering with you. All we ever get from you anymore is the curses and insults of a person who is intellectually bankrupt and has nothing new to add to a discussion. Worse, you carry this on in threads where even those not interested in your wothless opinions must suffer.

Smarten up, Beckwith!!!
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Sticks and stones may hurt my bones, but ...

Comment

Can you guys take the Climate Change battles to that thread, please, and thank you?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
                    Can you guys take the Climate Change battles to that thread, please, and thank you?
                    You're an echo in the echo. What exactly do you think I just finished telling him? I'm not giving out prizes for the closest reply. :)

By the way, what happened on Day 2 of the AGM? All I know is what I read on Kevin's blog.
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                      You're an echo in the echo. What exactly do you think I just finished telling him? I'm not giving out prizes for the closest reply. :)

By the way, what happened on Day 2 of the AGM? All I know is what I read on Kevin's blog.
                      Any intelligent recap of day 2 would be found on the CFC forum, right where someone would expect to find it.

Whether anyone has copied some of the highlights here, I can't remember.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                        Any intelligent recap of day 2 would be found on the CFC forum, right where someone would expect to find it.

Whether anyone has copied some of the highlights here, I can't remember.
                        Actually, I would expect it to be reposted here. The chess community mostly comes here and the CFC members go to the CFC forum. When you post the details on the CFC forum you are informing the members. When you post it on a widely popular site like this one you are informing the chess community and possibly promoting an increase in membership.

By the way, will the kids be getting their prize money from the CYCC? I was reading about that on this forum.
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Actually, I would expect it to be reposted here. The chess community mostly comes here and the CFC members go to the CFC forum. When you post the details on the CFC forum you are informing the members. When you post it on a widely popular site like this one you are informing the chess community and possibly promoting an increase in membership.

By the way, will the kids be getting their prize money from the CYCC? I was reading about that on this forum.
                          One forum vs two forums.
                          CFC content vs general chess content.

I don't have a good answer for you on this one Gary. I think we decide on a case by case bais on what stuff we need to put on ChessTalk to reach the maximum number of viewers. A rundown on the CFC AGM, I dunno. As I said before it's not that hard to find.

The CFC Executive is working with the CYCC Organizing Committee to resolve the issue regarding a wonderful cash surplus at the 2011 CYCC. I would expect the matter will be resolved in a few days.

Comment

There were a bunch of elections which have been reported elsewhere here on chesstalk and on the CFC website. There was also information on separate bids from BC to host the Canadian Open in 2012 in Victoria and also a bid for the 2012 CYCC presented by Victoria the person and not the city also from BC. There was a combined bid from the same group that gave us the Canadian Open this year to host next year's 2012 Canadian Open and CYCC in Toronto once again.

Consideration of the bids was put off to an online meeting of the governors over the next two weeks or so. Bids expire at the end of July or the beginning of August. There were some concerns about the bids, in particular the need for a compressed Canadian Open over six days instead of the traditional nine days. This would be accomplished by having the first three days having double rounds. Apparently the Grand Pacific Hotel venue was unavailable for Saturdays which necessitated changing the traditional format for this bid.

There was a proposal put forward asking for an option to essentially gain control of all of the major CFC tournaments for three years by the organizers of the current Canadian Open. Clearly they had a long detailed presentation that was going to take some time to fully and properly present but given the fact that many of the meeting participants had a tournament to play in, the matter was deferred to a potential online meeting of the governors to be scheduled after the online meeting to consider the bids for the 2012 CYCC and 2012 Canadian Open.

The 2011 Canadian Open organizers made a request for support from the CFC for their tournament. Apparently the tournament itself came close to breaking even which is quite an accomplishment given the large number of GMs and IMs in attendance. Unfortunately the FIDE arbiters seminar was much more expensive than last year for various reasons. If I understood what was stated correctly the arbiter's seminar had a deficit of $4500 by itself and the tournament as a whole had a deficit of $6000 including the seminar. The upshot was that the organizers asked for $1500 which covered the tournament deficit (I'm not sure if this was intentional or just a coincidence). They were asked to leave the room and then there were mostly questions about how to account for any support in light of the proposed budget. In the end the budget was changed to allow support and the motion passed by a healthy margin.

I probably have missed an item or two but that does cover substantially what was accomplished. More details will probably be forthcoming in the next few weeks through the normal channels.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                              There were a bunch of elections which have been reported elsewhere here on chesstalk and on the CFC website. There was also information on separate bids from BC to host the Canadian Open in 2012 in Victoria and also a bid for the 2012 CYCC presented by Victoria the person and not the city also from BC. There was a combined bid from the same group that gave us the Canadian Open this year to host next year's 2012 Canadian Open and CYCC in Toronto once again.

Consideration of the bids was put off to an online meeting of the governors over the next two weeks or so. Bids expire at the end of July or the beginning of August. There were some concerns about the bids, in particular the need for a compressed Canadian Open over six days instead of the traditional nine days. This would be accomplished by having the first three days having double rounds. Apparently the Grand Pacific Hotel venue was unavailable for Saturdays which necessitated changing the traditional format for this bid.

There was a proposal put forward asking for an option to essentially gain control of all of the major CFC tournaments for three years by the organizers of the current Canadian Open. Clearly they had a long detailed presentation that was going to take some time to fully and properly present but given the fact that many of the meeting participants had a tournament to play in, the matter was deferred to a potential online meeting of the governors to be scheduled after the online meeting to consider the bids for the 2012 CYCC and 2012 Canadian Open.

The 2011 Canadian Open organizers made a request for support from the CFC for their tournament. Apparently the tournament itself came close to breaking even which is quite an accomplishment given the large number of GMs and IMs in attendance. Unfortunately the FIDE arbiters seminar was much more expensive than last year for various reasons. If I understood what was stated correctly the arbiter's seminar had a deficit of $4500 by itself and the tournament as a whole had a deficit of $6000 including the seminar. The upshot was that the organizers asked for $1500 which covered the tournament deficit (I'm not sure if this was intentional or just a coincidence). They were asked to leave the room and then there were mostly questions about how to account for any support in light of the proposed budget. In the end the budget was changed to allow support and the motion passed by a healthy margin.

I probably have missed an item or two but that does cover substantially what was accomplished. More details will probably be forthcoming in the next few weeks through the normal channels.
                              Vlad, can you recheck those dollar amounts? The total deficit was $6000 but they only asked for $1500? (doesn't seem to make sense to me) :)
                              Does that mean someone is eating the deficit for the Arbiter's seminar?
                              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                                Vlad, can you recheck those dollar amounts? The total deficit was $6000 but they only asked for $1500? (doesn't seem to make sense to me) :)
                                Does that mean someone is eating the deficit for the Arbiter's seminar?
                                They were asking for an amount that was in keeping with the donation from the CFC to the 2010 Canadian Open. There's no way we would have approved a donation of $6,000 and it would have weakened their case to have asked for that much. The Arbiter's Seminar was part of the 2011 Canadian Open extravaganza and not the responsibility of the CFC.

Comment

Working...
                                X