Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2011 CYCC Surplus - Resolution

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post

In some alternative universe, the CFC might collect surpluses, average them, show it to the provincial associations ("here are your rebates, and we've given them to your provincial champions as partial travel subsidy to the Canadian Championship, Canadian Junior, Canadian Women's and CYCC ..."), but the trouble is that when the CFC takes the money, it disappears into the CFC's general funds.
    It's called liberalism. The money goes to the bureaucracy and they p*ss it away on their agenda.

A cynic might note that it's not like they're a charity.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick McDonald View Post
      This year is very unusual as to having a surplus. This rarely happens, and in fact will sometimes be in deficit position once funds are used for sending a team to the WYCC.

This outcome was totally unforseen, in fact with the new qualification rules this year, it was feared that the CYCC would in fact be smaller than in previous years.

As to the Provinces helping to fund kids to the CYCC, the OCA has rased bursaries for youth to attend the CYCC for many years now, having paid thousands each year to support Ontario kids to get to the CYCC.
      The CYCC would have had surpluses most years if it wasn't combining with events like the Canadian Open and subsidizing those events or their organizers. Budgets are subject to all sorts of discretionary items, so the issue is less about the final "surplus/deficit" and more about how the revenues are allocated. Of course in some years, the "surplus" could have been spent on some missing aspects like proper coaching at WYCC.

This would have been very clear if the CFC had publically disclosed a proper budget of the CYCC and the "CFC Youth Fund" ( in whatever form it existed ) every year. I'd love to see the 2003 CYCC budget for example, and compare it to this year's event.
      Last edited by Duncan Smith; Friday, 22nd July, 2011, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Re: Re : 2011 CYCC Surplus - Resolution

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
        I personally know many child that wanted to go to the CYCC and had very good chances but didn't go in view of the high cost of the tournament. Not only the entry fee is very high, but the hotel and the transport aren't really affordable too. This leads to what we saw : most of the kids come from Ontario.... Why couldn't you use the money to help the provincial champions to come to the tournament? As we see, the CYCC keeps aiming for the wealthy children and not necessarily the most talented ones.
        The CYCC in Montreal was poorly run, probably the worst CYCC event we attended. Only one arbitrar for 300 players, a noisy unsuitable playing room, and the surplus money went straight into the FQE. That's one legacy you have to deal with. Mistakes like that can't occur.

The "most of the kids came from Ontario" point is unimportant, and let me tell you why. For years, the CYCC never came to Southern Ontario, and yet many Ontario kids travelled to the event. What I noted at some events, however, is the local draw was not that strong. Do a more scientific study of CYCC attendance, and you might be surprised at the results.

People are focussing on the wrong things. There is a surplus because of stronger organizers, their focus on youth chess ONLY, and the active search for sponsors. More times then not, this is not what the CYCC was all about.
        The more squabbling I see after they announce the surplus, the more I realize that there will be many agendas like the old ones trying to drag down the project moving forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Beckwith View Post
          Kevin Spraggett always wants to take the opposite side to anything the CFC does. What was his recommended solution? He never gives one since the next week he would forget that it was his recommendation and attack it vehemently. If someone said his mother was a princess he would argue that she was a bit##...All he cares about is his blog visits, not truth, reality, justice, correctness,...I just visit for the comedy and women...
          He does a good job with the tactical quizes, analysis of recent games, chess history and presentation of old games(like the Geller-Keres game a few days ago). I love the smile collection and pictorial humor too...

Michael Yip

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
            From Spraggett's Blog: "Personally, I have no problem with the awarding of bursaries (Susan Polgar's youth activities in the States awards hundreds of thousands of dollars of such bursaries to youngsters each year) for those who finish high in the CYCC, but the introduction of prize money (in the order of thousands of dollars) into kiddy chess is something that many will find unacceptable.

A black day for chess in Canada and one more sign of how the current CFC leadership is destroying chess."
            Spraggett has never been a big supporter of youth events. There seems to be some idea that youth players should pay large cash entry fees but get no cash prizes. Will we see a day where weekend events cost $10 for juniors and $60 for adults, with only cash prizes for adults ? Please do start that model. And the CYCC for that matter should be far cheaper then the Canadian Open, given that no youth players get appearance fees.

The CFC will have to tread carefully now on how its formats the next few CYCC events. I don't mean to appease Spraggett ( or Mallon or Gillanders ). I mean to satisfy those that matter, the customers of the event and any new organizers. I'm not entirely convinced the CFC has the resources to improve on this year's event, and it may well have annoyed this year's group enough that they will no longer be interested moving forward. The CFC should be extremely concerned that there be a reversion back to a very small group of volunteers doing most of the tournaments.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
              Will we see a day where weekend events cost $10 for juniors and $60 for adults, with only cash prizes for adults ? Please do start that model. And the CYCC for that matter should be far cheaper then the Canadian Open, given that no youth players get appearance fees.
              That day has already come. The Ottawa area tournaments used to offer an amateur option (to everyone) which was reasonably popular. I used to take it when I lived there. I've also played in Washington tournaments where the (optional) amateur option was only offered to juniors. But you are a bit optimistic on the $10 entry fee...

But in general, juniors probably disproportionately win the class prizes seeing as they are on their way up and adults are on their way down.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
                Will we see a day where weekend events cost $10 for juniors and $60 for adults, with only cash prizes for adults ?
                Well there was an event in Windsor today where both juniors and adults would have paid $10 but only two adults showed up so they folded the adults into a new iteration of the Windsor Chess League. Eight kids fought it out and there was a three way tie for first.

Comment

Working...
                X