Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Reply to Bob Gillanders

Bob,

You are not giving me a choice now other than to respond you on ChessTalk due to the fact that I have decided to refrain from posting on the CFC Forum for the period of one year.

I was not planning to respond to Christopher Mallon's reply. He posted his opinion and that is fine with me. I would not respond to your post as well if it would be just expression of your opinion.

But unfortunately your post at CFC Forum contains two inaccuracies (I am using the soft expression here because I am not willing to escalate the conflict). And I cannot leave these two inaccuracies without my response because it may put a shade on me.

First,

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
    Victor, please refrain from making empty threats of legal action.
    I did not make any threats of legal action:

Originally posted by Victor Itkine
    Don’t get me wrong, I am not considering any kind of legal action. I am just ascertaining the fact.
    Second,

... I was forced to respond with my own posts to protect the resources and integrity of the CFC, and to then visit the bank with Anna on a Sunday afternoon to investigate the missing funds. I was relieved to discover the missing funds were in the form of 3 bank drafts made out to the CFC. It would have been nice to know that Saturday evening.
    You knew that on Saturday evening, and there was no any need to visit the bank on Sunday and to investigate missing funds.

You emailed me at 10:39 PM on Saturday evening, and I replied you in 24 minutes at 11:03 PM. Both emails (yours and mine) have been CCd to: Michael Barron; Eric Van Dusen; Lyle. Craver; Hal Bond; Mark Dutton; Fred McKim; Patrick McDonald; Ellen Nadeau. At that moment (actually, since Saturday afternoon) Michael Barron has two of three Bank Drafts in his possession already. If you did not trust me, you could just call or email Michael Barron and check the matter with him instead of investigating it with the bank on the next day.

Below please find the copies of these two emails.

----- Original Message -----
    To: Robert Gillanders ; Anna Jin ; Leo Song ; Xuekun Xing ; Natalia Khoudgarian
    Cc: Michael Barron ; Eric Van Dusen ; Lyle. Craver ; Hal Bond ; Mark Dutton ; Fred McKim ; Patrick McDonald ; Ellen Nadeau
    Sent: Saturday, July 09, 2011 11:03 PM
    Subject: Re: CYCC prize funds

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

1. I did not transfer funds from the 2011 CYCC account. I have signed 3 (Three) Bank Drafts payable to Chess Federation of Canada (CFC). First Bank Draft for the amount of $20,000.00 (exactly according to our bid). I gave this Bank Draft to CFC Youth Coordinator today. Second Bank Draft for $1,764.00 (CFC membership fees collected at site prior to CYCC). I gave this Bank Draft to CFC Youth Coordinator today as well. Third Bank Draft for $18,200.00 (payable to CFC as well).

2. Third Bank Draft for $18,200.00 is in the possession of CYCC Organizing Committee, and this amount will be distributed among the 36 2011 CYCC winners according to the Organizing Committee's majority decision (see attachment which was announced during the Closing Ceremony). Actually, we were planning to give the cheques to all the players at site during the closing ceremony today, but Daxin Jin has refused to sign the cheques at the last second (even though that she new that she is acting against the majority decision, and has signed the official Minutes of the Meeting with this decision).

3. I have the full authority to sign these Bank Drafts, because I was acting based on the majority vote of the CYCC Organizing Committee, and because I have official signature on the 2011 CYCC Account.

4. Please advice, where the AGM will take place. I was not planning to attend but looks like I have to do it now.

5. The prize distribution does not violate our bid.

6. The third Bank Draft will not be used in any manner until the AGM meeting.

Sincerely,

Victor Itkine.

----- Original Message -----
    To: Anna Jin ; Leo Song ; Xuekun Xing ; Natalia Khoudgarian ; Victor Itkin
    Cc: Michael Barron ; Eric Van Dusen ; Lyle. Craver ; Hal Bond ; Mark Dutton ; Fred McKim ; Patrick McDonald ; Ellen Nadeau
    Sent: Saturday, July 09, 2011 10:39 PM
    Subject: CYCC prize funds

Victor,

I spoke with Anna this evening on the phone. I am alarmed at what I am hearing.
    It is my understanding that you have transferred funds out of the CYCC bank account without her permission or knowledge. You do not have such authority to do so. These funds must be returned immediately.

I saw your post on chesstalk, and I asked that it be removed. Your prize distribution violates the CYCC bid contract with the CFC. You have overstepped your authority again.

Again, return the funds to the CYCC bank account immediately. If you fail to do so, we shall commence legal action.

I shall bring this matter to the attention of the CFC Governors at the AGM on monday. Please attend the meeting at 2pm to explain your actions. All CYCC organizing committee members are welcome to attend.

Sincerely,

Robert Gillanders
    President
    Chess Federation of Canada
    Last edited by Victor Itkine; Saturday, 23rd July, 2011, 11:39 AM. Reason: Grammar mistake

Re: My Reply to Bob Gillanders

Victor,

May I remind you that you are under a self imposed censorship. Please go ahead and keep posting with my blessing.

You stated I have violated your human rights and right to free speech. Then you stated you would not be taking legal action. That as they say, is an implied threat. More bully tactics.

My trip to the bank on sunday presented me with a golden opportunity to examine the actual bank documents and to talk directly with bank officials. Since I was getting conflicting stories from you and Anna, the trip was a no brainer.

Bob

Comment

Caveat Emptor
      Last edited by Duncan Smith; Sunday, 24th July, 2011, 04:42 AM. Reason: Not my battle anymore ...

Comment

At some point, the CFC has to understand its role in its own mistakes. You could drive a truck through the wording in those bid contracts.
        Last edited by Duncan Smith; Sunday, 24th July, 2011, 04:47 AM. Reason: Watered down version

Comment

Victor,

May I remind you that you are under a self imposed censorship. Please go ahead and keep posting with my blessing.
          Bob,

This is ChessTalk. I am under a self imposed censorship on the CFC Forum.

Victor.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
            You could drive a truck through the wording in those bid contracts.
            Agreed. :(

This was discussed at length at the AGM. I was very surprised at the various interpretations being made. I pray someday soon we start to learn from our mistakes.
            Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Saturday, 23rd July, 2011, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Itkine View Post
              Bob,

This is ChessTalk. I am under a self imposed censorship on the CFC Forum.

Victor.
              Yes, I got that. :)

I meant go ahead and post on the CFC discussion board if you prefer.

Comment

With all respect, I don't think you should continue to argue. This issue has been discussed extensively on this forum, and it should be obvious by now that patches need to be made. However, you can't expect things to work out easily. Contracts are very difficult to put together, especially considering a large event. Similarly, while open communication is part of an ideal situation, perfect information flow is not usually the case. Moving forward, we should all work to improve the situation, but take it one step at a time. There are a lot of great things happening in Canadian chess in recent years. Aside from the final distribution of prizes, the CYCC was organized very smoothly this time around.

Comment

Thank you Hazel. I agree. :)

Comment

Working...
                  X