Hamilton Summer Open 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hamilton Summer Open 2011

Remember to register by tomorrow to get the $5 discount.
    Register by email to chesshamilton@gmail.com

Pre Registration list not updated yesterday. I know of a least one name missing. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Carroll View Post
      I was excited to see this tournament upcoming as I had a great time in Hamilton last May in the Ontario Open. I brought three other players who wouldn't have been able to attend if we had not share expenses.

I was planning to do this again with at least one of the players this weekend.
      Unfortunately, even with shared expenses, it is not feasible to spend so much on transportation and lodging (I am currently in Ottawa) without the glimmer of hope to recoup some of the costs with possible winnings.

Even though in any tournament I play I have only a remote chance of winning a prize, it still makes the tournament much more exciting when you've got a fighting chance to win some money. It builds intrigue and adds great conversations amongst the players making predictions and doing the math to see what has to occur in certain games for one to reach the prize podium.

The way the Hamilton Open is set up, it makes it much less attractive for an out-of-towner in a similar situation like myself to make such a long journey.
      What is my situation? I am a 50-year-old player rated in the mid-1300s. I will be seated in the U2000 section if I wish to play for a prize.

If the goal is to attract as many players as possible, there needs to be a Class for non-Junior players who aren't so gifted at the game, but still have a passion for it. If I were well-off it wouldn't even be an issue, but times are hard and therefore I cannot attend. Sorry, but let's just say it would not be a cost-effective venture for me.

Sadly it doesn't just mean a loss of one player, but perhaps three more that would have come with me including two 1800s and a 2100.

Just a thought for upcoming tournaments - and not just in Hamilton. Even if there's just one Class prize for say U1650, it may sway more out-of-towners to make the trek.

I hope this comes across as a constructive suggestion and not the ramblings of some money-hungry madman. Anyone who has played against me knows they'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who plays the game for fun more than I do.

I'll be watching here on Chesstalk for the results coming in as I cheer for my favourite players. Have fun everyone!

Billy,

I in fact agree with some of the points you are making, and am trying to transition to a format that accommodates some of your concerns.

Because we are a small event (that is sometimes medium sized) I have to try one or two things at a time and then evaluate the complaints/criticisms I get after the fact.

The summer open 2011 was tailored to the results of the Winter Open (including criticisms I got then) and so on. But I still am trying to only do a few changes at a time so that I don't break the formula that is giving Hamilton's chess events relative success.

Once this event is finished I welcome suggestions to this thread or to our email address at chesshamilton@gmail.com on how we can improve this event further.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
        Saturday - 9:30 am, 2:00 pm and 6:00 pm
        Sunday - 11:00 am and 4:00 pm

Do you mind to switch dates and rounds in future? or maybe even add one additional round on Sunday? or maybe only a one-day-play fee?
        Can you post some specific examples of what you mean...ie. round times on each day? I am not a hundred percent clear on what you are asking.

Comment

Originally posted by Garvin Nunes View Post
          Can you post some specific examples
          Saturday - 11 & 4 (2 rounds) (or later times)
          Sunday - 9:30, 2 & 6 (3 rounds)

Saturday - 10, 2 & 6
          Sunday - 10, 2 & 6

2 days - 45$
          1 day - $25 :)

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
            Saturday - 11 & 4 (2 rounds) (or later times)
            Sunday - 9:30, 2 & 6 (3 rounds)

Saturday - 10, 2 & 6
            Sunday - 10, 2 & 6

2 days - 45$
            1 day - $25 :)

So is the idea to have a six round event but people can choose to play a single day at a discount? What do you think we should do for byes and prizes...should there be a best single day player prize for example?

If that's what you are suggesting, I invite all the others to say here if they would like to see that kind of format in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Garvin Nunes View Post
              What do you think we should do for byes and prizes...should there be a best single day player prize for example?
              Byes - probably a normal way - 1/2.
              One-day-players - no prizes. Just fun :)

Comment

Last day to register and save $5.:)
                52 players and counting.

Comment

The following are the pairings for round 4. These pairings are tentative and can change. If you notice a serious problems please notify us at the tournament hall by 10:45am. Games begin at 11:00am

Top Guns
                  Bd
                  1---Roman Sapozhnikov -----Vladimir Birarov
                  2---Mikhail Egorov-----------Artiom Samsonkin
                  3---Matthew Nicholson------Michael Song
                  4---Karl Sellars--------------Andrew Peredun
                  5---Derick Joshua Twesigye--Guannan Terry Song
                  6---Alexander Friedman -----Razvan Preotu
                  7---Laurence Crichton------Yuanchen Zhang

U2000
                  Bd
                  8---Ferdinand Supsup-------Hongyi Li
                  9---Nicholas O'Bumsawin----Richard Chen
                  10--Mario Moran-venegas----Jaime Solis
                  11--Yue Tong [davy] Zhao----Stephen Ye
                  12--Jiaxin Liu-----------------Israel Crooks
                  13--Don Gareau--------------John Zhang
                  14--Drake Lalonde------------Jeffrey Lee
                  15--Sergey Noritsyn----------Joe Bellomo
                  16--Doug Gillis---------------Zhanna Sametova
                  17--Jeffrey Xu---------------Immanuel Huang
                  18--Janet Peng--------------Giuseppe Del Duca
                  19--Dinny Wang-------------Danny McGlynn
                  20--Brian Zhang-------------Stan Percival
                  21--Elizabeth Noritsyn--------Constance Wang
                  22--Anton Zverev------------Dennis Shamroni
                  23--James Williamson---------Ivan Kudelka
                  24--Benjamin Lin-------------Frank Wang
                  25--Nicole Birarov------------Monika Wood

Junior
                  Bd
                  27--Edward Wang-----------Ethan Zheng
                  28--Yujie Wang-------------William Xu
                  ½ --Josh Perl---------------BYE

Comment

I want to thank everyone who came to our event on day 1. We seemed to have a very well mannered yet competitive bunch of players.

It definitely seems to make a difference that we got the air conditioning working this year.

Anyways still two games to go so I wish you all good luck...and a good night's sleep before your next game.

Comment

I want to thank everyone who came to our event this summer. The primary reason for our event's success is because of the people who attend it.

Also a special thanks goes out to Bob Gillanders, Mikhail Egorov and Michel Vasquez. Without their help I couldn't have done it.

This year's overall winner was Artiom Samsonkin. Congratulations Artiom, you are the top gun.

Tied for second and third were Roman Sapozhnikov and Vladimir Birarov. Taking the U2000 section with 5/5 was Hamilton Chess Club's own Richard Chen. second and third were Ferdinand Supsup, Stephen Ye, Hongyi Li and John Zhang.

Winner of the U1600 category prize was Jeffrey Lee.

In the junior section we had a tie for first between Edward Wang and Ethan Zheng. The third place winner was Josh Perl.

Those who would like to see the cross table for this event please visit:
                      http://chess.servegame.com/hamilton/page.php?19

or

http://tinyurl.com/4y2nwbq if the above link doesn't work for you.

We encourage all of you to post links to pictures of the event if you have any.

This Friday we have a very special coach's corner at the Hamilton Chess Club where Mikhail Egorov will go over his game with Artiom and the lessons he learned from it.

Once again, thank you all for coming and supporting this event!
                      Last edited by Garvin Nunes; Wednesday, 24th August, 2011, 12:15 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Working...
                      X