Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toronto Summer Chessfest 2012 ?

If I have guessed their intentions correctly, I'd like to congratulate the
    Toronto organizers on their Not bidding for the 2012 Canadian Open.

Next year for the Toronto summer event could be even better,
    attracting more than the 270 players it did the first two years.

I would like to make some suggestions however:

1) More prizes and bigger. This may be easier now that no revenues
    will be turned over to the CFC.

2) A FIDE rated U2000 section. It was unfair for A players to forgo
    prizes in order to advance their ratings this year.

3) A dedicated website to help promote the event and allow media
    coverage. I can certainly be of some help there.

Good luck on next year's event!

Re: Toronto Summer Chessfest 2012 ?

Originally posted by Ed Zator View Post
    1) More prizes and bigger. This may be easier now that no revenues will be turned over to the CFC.
    Toronto CO'11 asked and received a financial support from the CFC. CYCC is a separate tournament.

Comment

If I have guessed their intentions correctly, I'd like to congratulate the
      Toronto organizers on their Not bidding for the 2012 Canadian Open.

The CFC gave a grant of $1500 to this year's edition of the Canadian Open. The only revenues that were turned over to the CFC would be normal rating fees which will also be required for any CFC rated event.

I don't think that increasing the prizes would make one whit of difference to most of the participants. The prizes were already fairly generous.

I think that because everyone played up there were not enough FIDE rated players in the lower sections (though I might be wrong on this) to make it worthwhile.

Comment

If I have guessed their intentions correctly, I'd like to congratulate the Toronto organizers on their Not bidding for the 2012 Canadian Open.

3) A dedicated website to help promote the event and allow media
        coverage. I can certainly be of some help there.

Good luck on next year's event!

Hi Ed:

I just wanted to clear up some misconceptions about your post here.

1. No money went to the CFC from the 2011 CO -- in fact a grant of $1500 went from the CFC to the 2011 CO Organizers to cover rating expenses to assist the organizers with their financial losses. So without the CFC support and the additional expense of FIDE Rating Fees, the prize fund would potentially be smaller

2. The Under 2000 Section this year had only 16 FIDE rated players out of 78? Imagine if it had been rated -- you would end up with a lot of very low ratings and a player pool of under-rated players for future FIDE events.

This would be around 20% of the players having FIDE ratings -- does NOT make sense -- financially or otherwise to rate an event with so many UNRATED players? Also the additional cost of rating the event would again cause the prize fund to be potentially smaller.

3. David Cohen did have a dedicated website (and continues to have Canadian Chess website) and had further support from broadcast games, videos and picture galleries, along with results, pairings in real time on the Monroi site this year at the Canadian Open.

Did you know that there are costs involved in having events FIDE rated?

From the CFC website --- just a quick FYI --

FIDE rating fees

Round Robin & matches
        Average Rating U2300 $ 100
        Average Rating 2300-2399 $ 200
        Average Rating 2400-2499 $ 300
        Average Rating 2500-2599 $ 400
        Average Rating 2600+ $ 600

Swiss & Team tournaments $ 2.20 per player

FIDE Rating Fees: http://chess.ca/fide-rating-fees

An additional fee of $100 will be imposed where the TD is negligent in
        either advising the CFC office that the tournament is to be FIDE rated
        and/or is slow in providing all necessary information.

----------------------------------------------------------

I am sure they will look forward to your future assistance in web promotion. Do you have some samples of websites you are currently working on or with?

It was great to see everyone in Toronto this last couple of weeks and we look forward to seeing a lot of you come out to Victoria in 2012 for the 49th Canadian Open Chess Championship!

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark S. Dutton, I.A. View Post

1. No money went to the CFC from the 2011 CO -- in fact a grant of $1500 went from the CFC to the 2011 CO Organizers to cover rating expenses to assist the organizers with their financial losses.
          I get it now. I merely assumed that when various bids for the CO were put
          to the CFC, organizers were offering money or a percentage, as in some other national events.

Given their prize structure, I'm surprised the organizers lost money. Perhaps they will reduce the top prizes next time.

2. The Under 2000 Section this year had only 16 FIDE rated players out of 78? Imagine if it had been rated -- you would end up with a lot of very low ratings and a player pool of under-rated players for future FIDE events.
          There were only 16 FIDE rated players in the U2000, because after the organizer said it was not FIDE rated, most of the A players went into the Open section.

That is obvious from the lower percentage of A players that were FIDE rated in the U2000.

3. David Cohen did have a dedicated website (and continues to have Canadian Chess website) and had further support from broadcast games, videos and picture galleries, along with results, pairings in real time on the Monroi site this year at the Canadian Open.
          A good example of dedicated websites are the ones for the Aeroflot and Tata Steel tournaments. A good one attracts entrants additionally by encouraging other websites to link to it.

I found the two (non-dedicated) CO websites confusing, as for instance, when the main prizewinners were first announced on the Monroi site, but the full list first posted to the first website. It seems to me some web issues were involved.

Also the Monroi website IS buggy, largely I suspect because the original developers have left, and there is no maintenance contract. (Sound familiar?)

Did you know that there are costs involved in having events FIDE rated?
          Yes I knew that one - $2.20 per player. But the organizers are doing it for
          the Open Section, why not for the U2000?

That way, next time, the FIDE-rated U2000 players can play in their own section for both prizes and FIDE ratings, instead of having to forgo one or the other.

I am sure they will look forward to your future assistance in web promotion. Do you have some samples of websites you are currently working on or with?
          The organizers know me. They can contact me if they want my credentials.

It was great to see everyone in Toronto this last couple of weeks and we look forward to seeing a lot of you come out to Victoria in 2012 for the 49th Canadian Open Chess Championship!
          It's unrealistic to believe that many of the players from Toronto will show
          up in Victoria, when the World Open is much closer.

Fortunately, they will have another 9-day summer tournament to look forward to if the rumour about the Toronto International Open is true.

Comment

Working...
          X