A must read for Chess Teachers, Coaches and Parents...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A must read for Chess Teachers, Coaches and Parents...

We just received this book in Montreal. It is available in Montreal and on-line as of today. It will be available in Toronto and Ottawa by Saturday Oct 11th at the latest...I am off to read it at lunch today :)

Chess Instructor 2009

Features: Training Methods, Chess in Schools, Exercises, Top Coaches Explain, the Benefits of Learning Chess, Interviews, Tools, Reviews, etc.

In the last decade there has been a phenomenal growth of chess within the educational community. The popularity of chess is no accident: in an era of compulsive zapping of TV channels, violent gaming and mobile chatter, learning chess means improving basic skills (like analysis, decision making, strategic thinking, stamina, and dealing with stress) while interacting meaningfully with other pupils. A great job for motivated teachers and coaches.

But how do you teach chess? What material do you use? Is there a particularly successful method? How do you sell a chess curriculum, how do you motivate your pupils and monitor their progress?

The Chess Instructor 2009 aims to give answers to all these questions, and more. Michael Basman explains how he puts 70,000 British schoolkids to play, every year, and Simen Agdestein tells about his work with super talent Magnus Carlsen. How do you run a chess school in the US, and what does acclaimed expert Mark Dvoretsky say about improving the play of promising youngsters?

This compendium is for chess training at all levels. With a multi-colored mosaic of articles, it aims to raise topics for discussion, and to get chess teachers at local schools to learn from top coaches, as well as the other way around. With ready-to-use teaching exercises for all levels.

Item ID EA55
    Our price $ 29.95

http://www.strategygames.ca

Re: A must read for Chess Teachers, Coaches and Parents...

I am a slow reader...but I noticed that the book did recommend the Jeff Coakley books :)

Comment

thanks Larry,I am looking forward to see this book.After Coaching a Baseball team to a Championship,coaching hockey and competitive swim teams to victory and now teaching/coaching Chess for 20 years,I am always on the lookout for new ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
        I am a slow reader...but I noticed that the book did recommend the Jeff Coakley books :)
        Many French speaking chess readers hope one day...
        they will benefit from these most instructive and interesting books...
        in French ;)

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=fr&q=...chercher&meta=

http://main.uschess.org/forums/viewt...hp?f=23&t=7399

with this line :

Jeff Coakley has a book called Winning Chess Strategy for Kids that is highly recommended.

And my translation, long long long ago (3 years), was this :

Stratégie sur l'échiquier
        pour les jeunes

JPR
        Last edited by Jean-Pierre Rhéaume; Sunday, 5th October, 2008, 06:23 PM. Reason: To add (3 years).

Comment

Larry: "...learning chess means improving basic skills (like analysis, decision making, strategic thinking, stamina, and dealing with stress) while interacting meaningfully with other pupils..."

One other basic skill: the patience to wait for the other person's move! (Our political debaters/pundits often interrupt rudely.) Chess promotes polite civility.

Comment

I now have the book. Highly recommended for Teachers and Parents!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X