Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mississauga Summer Swiss

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    Should we legalize it? (per the CFC handbook it is not legal, imho.)
    For the weekend open, it is probably messy, especially if a ratio would be 50/50 between members and not. (as L.Kerry pointed out) :D
    However, for the (small-medium) club event it is ideal :)
    IMHO, nothing to legalize. :)
    This is a club event where the club is going the extra mile to pay the rating fee for those members who wish their games CFC rated. :D
    Also going the extra mile to match the optional entry fee prize fund. :D

Anyway, the tournament starts tonight. ;)

Club membership is required. But its only $35 / year.
    Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Thursday, 4th August, 2011, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
      IMHO, nothing to legalize. :)
      This is a club event where the club is going the extra mile to pay the rating fee for those members who wish their games CFC rated. :D.

"732. Membership. All players in a rated event must be CFC members for the inclusive dates of play. "

or Do you mean the club pays a tournament membership? (+ rating fees)

Comment

"732. Membership. All players in a rated event must be CFC members for the inclusive dates of play. "

I'm pretty sure the club isn't paying a tournament membership for the non-CFC participants... perhaps all the CFC-CFC games are treated as 1 game matches??
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

What's the definition of an event? Many tournaments, especially in Quebec, have non CFC rated sections. Isn't any group of games between CFC players an event? What if CFC players paired against each other played in a separate room? Don't all CFC members who play other CFC members have the right to get those games rated ?

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
            I'm pretty sure the club isn't paying a tournament membership for the non-CFC participants... perhaps all the CFC-CFC games are treated as 1 game matches??
            Thanks Kerry. That interpretation works for me. :D

I don't believe we are in violation of the spirit of the CFC handbook rule, so I will not worry about it. After all, I doubt this is the first time there has been differing interpretations of the handbook! :D

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
              What's the definition of an event? Many tournaments, especially in Quebec, have non CFC rated sections.
              I don't know if the handbook defines "an event". Some hints provided:
              "A player may become rated by competing in a CFC-rated event of 3 or more rounds." My common sense says "an event" is a tournament. For a multi-sections tournament, a single section becomes an event for rating purposes.

What if CFC players paired against each other played in a separate room?
              Some rules would be violated regarding a clock (what kind would you use?). Some problems with a not-properly set board (one is right, other is wrong Maybe touch-move issues.

Comment

I don't know if the handbook defines "an event". Some hints provided:
                "A player may become rated by competing in a CFC-rated event of 3 or more rounds." My common sense says "an event" is a tournament. For a multi-sections tournament, a single section becomes an event for rating purposes.

For tournaments with multiple sections for which I have used a floater who played in more than one section, I have paid only one tournament membership and rating fee for that floater. Ditto for people who have been paired across sections to avoid TD byes. So, I'm not sure that defining an "event" as a "section" is completely satisfactory. [actually, I'm in favour of floaters being rated gratis. It's a service for CFC members :-) ]

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
                  For tournaments with multiple sections for which I have used a floater who played in more than one section, I have paid only one tournament membership and rating fee for that floater. Ditto for people who have been paired across sections to avoid TD byes. So, I'm not sure that defining an "event" as a "section" is completely satisfactory.
                  IMHO, floaters and inter-section players are at the ED's mercy ("The Executive Director has discretion to accept or refuse any tournament for rating where the intent of this rule has not been followed. " with a broad definition of "this rule" - whole section 7 :D

[actually, I'm in favour of floaters being rated gratis.]
                  Probably Alex F. paid it for me once :)

Comment

Working...
                  X