Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 CYCC Surplus

Posted by CFC Governor M. Barron on the CFC Site :

" To be clear: CYCC always generates a profit. This profit is called "WYCC fund" and usually sent to the CFC to fund Canadians' trip to WYCC.
    What is not clear: How the CFC actually spend these funds?

Bob Gillanders explained at the AGM, that now it's practically impossible to understand how $54,000 generated by 2007 CYCC were spent.
    But he promised to present financial report how were spent $20,000 generated by 2010 CYCC.
    Now we all awaiting for his report... "

The idea that the $54K cannot be tracked down is ridiculous. This is less about the ability to track it down then it is the willingness to do so.

Re: 2007 CYCC Surplus

Duncan, let me just add a few comments to put the issue into some perspective. I would not want to leave anyone with the impression that 54k just disappeared. It didn’t.

It is well documented that the CFC office was in complete meltdown mode in 2006/2007. The records (financial and otherwise) from that time are in very poor shape. I did invest considerable time trying to make sense of it all, and it is both frustrating and embarrassing to admit that some of it remains a mystery to me to this day. Memories are going old now, but at the time, I was able account for most of the spending. My recollection is that between 5k and 10k remains unexplained.

Our priority in 2007 and 2008 was to get the office functioning again. We accomplished our primary goal, but unfortunately the accounting took a back seat. It is now 2011 and the trail grows cold. However, I will repeat the offer I made at the AGM. If we can find a volunteer, I am willing to cooperate fully and to do a complete audit of 2007. For my own peace of mind, I would really like to know myself exactly what happened.

But I do have conditions. The volunteer must have an accounting background, willing to invest the time needed, and they must be fair and objective. Otherwise, we are just wasting our time.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
      Posted by CFC Governor M. Barron on the CFC Site :

" To be clear: CYCC always generates a profit. This profit is called "WYCC fund" and usually sent to the CFC to fund Canadians' trip to WYCC.
      What is not clear: How the CFC actually spend these funds?

Bob Gillanders explained at the AGM, that now it's practically impossible to understand how $54,000 generated by 2007 CYCC were spent.
      But he promised to present financial report how were spent $20,000 generated by 2010 CYCC.
      Now we all awaiting for his report... "

The idea that the $54K cannot be tracked down is ridiculous. This is less about the ability to track it down then it is the willingness to do so.
      The profit Michael is speaking of refers to the tournament breakdown prior to the appropriate funds being sent to the CFC as agreed upon in the handbook or the contract, if it overruled the handbook.

For example at the 2001 event in Sackville, if you want to say we had a surplus, it was all of the money going to the CFC. Obviously 2007 and now 2011 are different kettles of fish.

I asked the question about 2007 at the AGM because of some allegations I'd been reading about on the Internet, and I wasn't really aware of the situation.

I heard from 3 key people about 2007: Bob, who was the Ex-D at the time and Hal and Michael. The reason the accounting cannot simply be done is this all happened during the phase of strightening out all of the computerized accounting. Bob was willing to personally go through the records with anyone who wished to take this job on.

All three of the gentleman were adamant that all of the money from Ottawa had gone into the CFC coffers. Both Bob and Hal were adamant that the Youth fund received what it was supposed to, while Michael disagreed.

I was willing to accept this information and move on. We intend to have more detailed accounting of the Youth fund in the future, to avoid these controversies.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
        Duncan, let me just add a few comments to put the issue into some perspective. I would not want to leave anyone with the impression that 54k just disappeared. It didn’t.

It is well documented that the CFC office was in complete meltdown mode in 2006/2007. The records (financial and otherwise) from that time are in very poor shape. I did invest considerable time trying to make sense of it all, and it is both frustrating and embarrassing to admit that some of it remains a mystery to me to this day. Memories are going old now, but at the time, I was able account for most of the spending. My recollection is that between 5k and 10k remains unexplained.

Our priority in 2007 and 2008 was to get the office functioning again. We accomplished our primary goal, but unfortunately the accounting took a back seat. It is now 2011 and the trail grows cold. However, I will repeat the offer I made at the AGM. If we can find a volunteer, I am willing to cooperate fully and to do a complete audit of 2007. For my own peace of mind, I would really like to know myself exactly what happened.

But I do have conditions. The volunteer must have an accounting background, willing to invest the time needed, and they must be fair and objective. Otherwise, we are just wasting our time.
        I may be interested and I believe I meet the requirements. I am a fourth year accounting student at Ryerson University. This of course would be an internal not external audit as I am a member of the CFC; although I have never held an executive or governor position except for previously being on the executive of the Hamilton chess club.
        Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Friday, 29th July, 2011, 04:46 PM.

Comment

At the time of the 2007 CYCC the ED was David Gordon.

Comment

There was a running argument for years about whether the CYCC was supposed to be a profit center for the CFC and/or the organizers ( and the exact split involved ). I don't think the CFC decision on that has been made clear.

Certainly prior to 2007 the internal politics of the CFC were quite different, the consensus seemed to be profit center and provide the minimum prize fund as stated ( eg 11 plane tickets, some FIDE reg. fees ). I would say this was shortsighted, that this kind of policy encouraged top juniors to drop out of the CYCC earlier.
            Last edited by Duncan Smith; Saturday, 30th July, 2011, 10:27 AM.

Comment

and my offer to volunteer is being ignored why?

Comment

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
                and my offer to volunteer is being ignored why?
                Bob was at the Canadian Amateur as was Michael. They probably weren't monitoring Chesstalk. I know I wasn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                  Bob was at the Canadian Amateur as was Michael. They probably weren't monitoring Chesstalk. I know I wasn't.
                  Vlad is correct. I simply missed it, my apologies.

Zeljko, if you are serious, please email me at rgillanders@cogeco.ca and we can get started. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                    It's a little hard to agree with that explanation when there have been a number of posts on Chesstalk by the same person in question in the same period; specifically nine posts including some on the pressing issue of climate change.

However, it seems to have been cleared up now.
                    Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Friday, 5th August, 2011, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X