Quebec Open blitz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quebec Open blitz

A disappointing 59 players showed up at the Quebec Open blitz championship Saturday night. I didn't stay until the end, but some GM's were present, and some strong players who didn't play in the Open (e.g. Lefong Hua). Results should be posted shortly.

Why was attendance so low? Prize fund was $1000 (with a $20 entry fee, one section, and I don't believe there were any class prizes) - exactly the same as it was in late 1990's when there were 3 sections, 140+ players, and a $15 entry fee. It was $1200 in 2009. Maybe it should be held the first Saturday night of the Open (rather than the second - after the last round - when many players have gone home).

Should we be using increments for all blitz events (this one didn't)? For sure - it would extend the lifetimes of DGT clocks.

Re : Quebec Open blitz

I think the main reason is not enough rounds ,only 6 double rounds .

I dont know why the FQE reduce the number of rounds ,couple of years ago the blitz tournament was 8 double rounds .

Hugh have a great idea to have the blitz tournament on the 1st saturday .

Maybe back to the old formula of couple years ago with sections .

The one section is also a good idea i remember couple of year ago i was playing a 2500 on board 7 in round 1 .To pay 20$ to have the chance to play a 2500 its a very good deal .

Comment

Re: Quebec Open blitz

It was 7 double rounds this year. With a 7 pm (scheduled) start time, it still means an 11 pm (or later) finish time - taking into account delays, etc.

The "Mini-COQ" introduced this year would have conflicted with a "first Saturday" blitz.

An "active" event was traditionally held the "second Sunday" - but has not been held the last few years (rental savings?).

Comment

Re : Quebec Open blitz

Solutions to help participation:

-GM announced three months in advance.
        -Put more visibility.
        -Allow pre-registration with an additional $ 5 for on-site registration.

Comment

Re: Quebec Open blitz

Top finishers at the blitz:

Noritsyn and Sambuev 11.5/14
          Bindi Cheng, Anton Kovalyov and Artur Calugar 10.5/14.

Comment

Working...
          X