Eligible Players for FM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eligible Players for FM

Was a bit bored so comprised a list of players eligible for the FM title. Some are inactive and a few active. I used the old rating lists off chessbase to figure it out (usually its accurate). Could be more but this is what I found for now.
    Requirements: 2300 FIDE published rating at one point.

Nurmi,Peter
    Southam,David
    Olszewski, Piotr
    Vaingorten, Yaqoov
    Bailey,Doug
    Jauregui, Carlos
    Polacek, Jozef
    Djerkovic, Miladin
    Kollar,Frank

Re: Eligible Players for FM

Originally posted by Eric Hansen View Post
    Was a bit bored so comprised a list of players eligible for the FM title. Some are inactive and a few active. I used the old rating lists off chessbase to figure it out (usually its accurate). Could be more but this is what I found for now.
    Requirements: 2300 FIDE published rating at one point.

Nurmi,Peter
    Southam,David
    Olszewski, Piotr
    Vaingorten, Yaqoov
    Bailey,Doug
    Jauregui, Carlos
    Polacek, Jozef
    Djerkovic, Miladin
    Kollar,Frank
    You missed one. His name is Eric Hansen, some kid from Alberta :)

Comment

A lot of these great players would have their titles if application had been made by the CFC. Peter Nurmi hasnt played tournament chess since the early 80's (that Im aware of) We had many great battles (lucky for me) just before he stopped playing. I received my title after I did the CFC president a favor. A lot of deserving players did not get their FM titles simply because they did not lobby for them (and actually alot of them didnt care - it was the IM title that had alot of meaning for them and was very hard to get back then).

Comment

Looking at the CFC and FIDE pages are more accurate than looking at chessbase. As many of the players are inactive it is hard to assess whether they went over 2300. (They can also become a FM from finishing high at the Canadian Zonal.)

Only Bailey and Vaingorten had recent over 2300 years, can the FIDE Master title be applied for retroactively?

Nurmi,Peter, FIDE 2275, CFC 2320, played in speed tournament at Bayview Games Club two years ago, but inactive.
        Southam,David FIDE 2138, 2205 very active at Bayview Games Club.
        Olszewski, Piotr FIDE 2275, 2348 played in team matches.
        Vaingorten, Yaqoov FIDE 2275 (was over 2300 in 2004-5), 2336 played in 2005.
        Bailey,Doug FIDE 2265 (was over 23000 in 2004-6), 2302 active in Hamilton.
        Jauregui, Carlos FIDE 2260, 2210 inactive in Nova Scotia.
        Polacek, Jozef FIDE 2240, 2306 plays casual chess in College Park.
        Djerkovic, Miladin FIDE 2186, 2280 active in Ottawa.
        Kollar,Frank FIDE 2186, 2214 in Winnipeg 2000.
        Last edited by Erik Malmsten; Monday, 6th October, 2008, 12:43 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
          A lot of these great players would have their titles if application had been made by the CFC. Peter Nurmi hasnt played tournament chess since the early 80's (that Im aware of) We had many great battles (lucky for me) just before he stopped playing. I received my title after I did the CFC president a favor. A lot of deserving players did not get their FM titles simply because they did not lobby for them (and actually alot of them didnt care - it was the IM title that had alot of meaning for them and was very hard to get back then).
          Even though the IM title seems to be easier to get these days, particularly in Europe, I take our Canadian players who make IM and GM very seriously. Because of reasons like fewer opportunities, the titles seem to be harder for our players to acheive and those who do make the norms and get the title tend to be quite good.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Once we get chesscanada functional anybody with a FIDE title will be invited to blog. Since one of the basic purposes is to pay our FIDE expenses, players who would have fulfilled FM qualification if an application were made will be treated as if they already had the title. FM(p)=Fide Master (pending). By Igor Ivanov's example we know that even for GM titles retrograde applications are possible.

Comment

By the way Eric here's how I annotated one of your games in the Toronto Star this Summer. Newspapers have limited space so the notes have to be brief. Fortunately in cyberspace that won't be a problem!

White: R. Adamson Black: E. Hansen French Defence
              1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Nc3 Bb4 4.e5 b6 5.Qg4 Kf8!?
              (5..Bf8 has been the main line since Alexander-Alekhine 1938.)
              6.a3
              (In Faibisovich-Taimanov 1973 6.Nh3!? was successful.)
              6..Bxc3+ 7.bxc3 Ba6 8.Bxa6 Nxa6 9.Ne2 Qd7 10.a4 Ne7 11.0-0 Nb8 12.Nf4 Nbc6 13.Nh5 Rg8
              14.Ba3
              (Instead of castling Black has retained the tricky option of running his King to the
              safe b7 haven.)
              14..Ke8!? 15.f4 Kd8 16.Qh3 Kc8 17.Ng3?!
              (With 17.Bxe7 White could protect against being left with the inferior minor piece.
              17.Qd3 also looks safer than the move played.)
              17..Nf5 18.Nxf5 exf5 19.Qxh7 Kb7 20.Rfe1 Na5 21.Bb4 Nc4 22.a5 a6 23.Qh3 Rac8 24.Qd3 g5
              25.fxg5 Rxg5 26.axb6 cxb6 27.Re2 a5 28.Bd6
              (The sharper 28.Ba3!? was possible.)
              28..Rg4 29.Qf3 Re4 30.Rf1 Nxd6 31.exd6 Qxd6 32.Rd2 f4 33.Qh5 Rxc3 34.Qxf7+ Rc7 35.Qf5 a4
              36.h3?
              (Here to avoid disadvantage he needs 36.Ra1! while ..a3? 37.Rxa3! is possible.)
              36..a3 37.Qh5 Rce7 38.Qd1 Qb4 39.Qc1 Qb2 40.c3 Qxc1
              (The endgame is winning.)
              41.Rxc1 Re1+ 42.Rxe1 Rxe1+ 43.Kf2 Re3 44.Rc2 Kc6 45.h4 Kb5 46.h5 Kc4 47.h6 Re6 48.h7 Rh6
              49.Rc1 a2 White resigned.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence Day View Post
                anybody with a FIDE title will be invited to blog
                0.3 The International FIDE titles {...} The titles are:
                0.31 Titles for over-the-board standard chess (as defined in 1.14), the judging unit being the FIDE Titles and Ratings Committee: Grandmaster (GM), International Master (IM), FIDE Master (FM), Candidate Master (CM), Woman Grandmaster (WGM), Woman International Master (WIM), Woman FIDE Master (WFM), Woman Candidate Master (WCM), Honorary Grandmaster (HGM), Honorary Master (HM).
                0.32 Titles for chess composition, the judging unit being the FIDE Permanent Commission for Chess Compositions: Grandmaster of Solving (GS), International Master of Solving (IMS), FIDE Master of Solving (FMS); Grandmaster of Composing (GMC), International Master of Composing (IMC), FIDE Master of Composing (FMC); International Judge of Chess Composition (IJCC).
                0.33 Titles for correspondence chess, the judging unit being the International Correspondence Chess Federation (ICCF).
                0.34 FIDE Senior Trainer, FIDE Trainer, FIDE Instructor, National Instructor and Developmental Instructor titles, the judging unit being the FIDE Trainer`s Committee.
                0.35 International Organizer (IO) title, the judging unit being the FIDE Organizer`s Committee.
                0.36 Titles awarded for meritorious activity other than practical play. Normally these have the object of bestowing honours. Such titles shall be awarded by the General Assembly.
                As least one blogger per title and there will be so many articles :)

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
                  Looking at the CFC and FIDE pages are more accurate than looking at chessbase. As many of the players are inactive it is hard to assess whether they went over 2300. (They can also become a FM from finishing high at the Canadian Zonal.)

Only Bailey and Vaingorten had recent over 2300 years, can the FIDE Master title be applied for retroactively?

Nurmi,Peter, FIDE 2275, CFC 2320, played in speed tournament at Bayview Games Club two years ago, but inactive.
                  Southam,David FIDE 2138, 2205 very active at Bayview Games Club.
                  Olszewski, Piotr FIDE 2275, 2348 played in team matches.
                  Vaingorten, Yaqoov FIDE 2275 (was over 2300 in 2004-5), 2336 played in 2005.
                  Bailey,Doug FIDE 2265 (was over 23000 in 2004-6), 2302 active in Hamilton.
                  Jauregui, Carlos FIDE 2260, 2210 inactive in Nova Scotia.
                  Polacek, Jozef FIDE 2240, 2306 plays casual chess in College Park.
                  Djerkovic, Miladin FIDE 2186, 2280 active in Ottawa.
                  Kollar,Frank FIDE 2186, 2214 in Winnipeg 2000.
                  As long as you have been 2300 or above in a published FIDE list at any time, you are eligible. I assume the reason a few didn't apply is because back then you needed 24 games above 2300 FIDE and now you just need to have had the published rating and not the games. Dale Haessel just got his FM title and he had surpassed 2300 in the 90's for just 1 rating period.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
                    Looking at the CFC and FIDE pages are more accurate than looking at chessbase.
                    I think, the Informant published official FIDE rating lists in pre-internet times. Maybe these lists are somewhere on internet now

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence Day View Post
                      By the way Eric here's how I annotated one of your games in the Toronto Star this Summer. Newspapers have limited space so the notes have to be brief. Fortunately in cyberspace that won't be a problem!

White: R. Adamson Black: E. Hansen French Defence
                      1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Nc3 Bb4 4.e5 b6 5.Qg4 Kf8!?
                      (5..Bf8 has been the main line since Alexander-Alekhine 1938.)
                      6.a3
                      (In Faibisovich-Taimanov 1973 6.Nh3!? was successful.)
                      6..Bxc3+ 7.bxc3 Ba6 8.Bxa6 Nxa6 9.Ne2 Qd7 10.a4 Ne7 11.0-0 Nb8 12.Nf4 Nbc6 13.Nh5 Rg8
                      14.Ba3
                      (Instead of castling Black has retained the tricky option of running his King to the
                      safe b7 haven.)
                      14..Ke8!? 15.f4 Kd8 16.Qh3 Kc8 17.Ng3?!
                      (With 17.Bxe7 White could protect against being left with the inferior minor piece.
                      17.Qd3 also looks safer than the move played.)
                      17..Nf5 18.Nxf5 exf5 19.Qxh7 Kb7 20.Rfe1 Na5 21.Bb4 Nc4 22.a5 a6 23.Qh3 Rac8 24.Qd3 g5
                      25.fxg5 Rxg5 26.axb6 cxb6 27.Re2 a5 28.Bd6
                      (The sharper 28.Ba3!? was possible.)
                      28..Rg4 29.Qf3 Re4 30.Rf1 Nxd6 31.exd6 Qxd6 32.Rd2 f4 33.Qh5 Rxc3 34.Qxf7+ Rc7 35.Qf5 a4
                      36.h3?
                      (Here to avoid disadvantage he needs 36.Ra1! while ..a3? 37.Rxa3! is possible.)
                      36..a3 37.Qh5 Rce7 38.Qd1 Qb4 39.Qc1 Qb2 40.c3 Qxc1
                      (The endgame is winning.)
                      41.Rxc1 Re1+ 42.Rxe1 Rxe1+ 43.Kf2 Re3 44.Rc2 Kc6 45.h4 Kb5 46.h5 Kc4 47.h6 Re6 48.h7 Rh6
                      49.Rc1 a2 White resigned.
                      That was an interesting game lol. I was really tired, showded up a few minutes late and was pretty much asleep with my head down for most of the game. I messed up the move order in the opening which doesn't surprise me considering how tired I was. I meant to play ne7 first after bb4 and after a3 ba3 ba3 b6. I started to wake up and think when I realized that my king was TOAST(after ba3) and my chances of a good tournament were slipping by as as I blew the first 2 games in which I was winning in one game and had a superior position in the other(0.5/2). Luckily my king was able to find the safe haven at b7 at only the cost of a pawn, which I didn't mind. Then I really woke up and started feeling good about my position and for some weird reason, I knew I was going to win once my king got to b7. He spent a lot of time in the opening,probably confused at what the heck I was doing. He had 1second left for like 5 moves I think, and was playing under time pressure from almost move 20. After I won it really turned my tournament around. My opponent,Robby, withdrew from the open section and played in the u2400 after this loss which must have been hard to take.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                        As least one blogger per title and there will be so many articles :)
                        Does that mean I'll get to Blog?

I don't know if Ben is ready for this. :)
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

FIDE rating lists going back to 1971 are available at:

http://www.mark-weeks.com/chess/ratings/

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                            FIDE rating lists going back to 1971 are available at:

http://www.mark-weeks.com/chess/ratings/
                            Thnx for the link. The Canadian (CAN) in the first ELO 1971 list:
                            PHP Code:
                                SchulmanMark    CAN    2260    
                            m   Fuster
                            Geza      CAN    2280
                                Macskasy
                            Elod    CAN    2290
                                Day
                            Lawrence     CAN    2340
                            m   Witt
                            Laszlo      CAN    2340
                                Allan
                            Denis      CAN    2380