Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: THE NEW one-and-only Depression thread

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
    Obama gives a speech and stocks accelerate their dive. The next day, the Fed makes a ho-hum statement and stocks soar. That says something about how irrevelant Obama has become in just a few months. His presidency is now in jeopardy, and this is what is fueling the Tea Party. I think someone in the Democratic Party (not sure who) should seriously consider challenging Obama for the nomination, if that is even possible. I never liked him, he has no original ideas.

Europe has solidified for a day or two without the need for Germany to step forward. How long that can continue is anyone's guess.

Owning gold is more for those who have little faith in fiat currency. But even now, there are about as many economists against buying gold (saying it's a bubble ready to burst) as there are in favor of it. It's all about how thick or thin you think the veneer of civilization may be.
    Obama irrevelent? Did you mean irreverent - lacking veneration? Should he go to church more? We had a chess expert in Toronto who, when spotting a poor move by an opponent would ask "Did you go to school, or did you go to church?" :):)

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
      Obama gives a speech and stocks accelerate their dive. The next day, the Fed makes a ho-hum statement and stocks soar. That says something about how irrevelant Obama has become in just a few months. His presidency is now in jeopardy, and this is what is fueling the Tea Party. I think someone in the Democratic Party (not sure who) should seriously consider challenging Obama for the nomination, if that is even possible. I never liked him, he has no original ideas.
      I don't consider Obama to be irrelevant. He's has the presidency during difficult times. It's up to the U.S. voters to decide and I'm not one of them.

I'd imagine he will be the Democrats nominee in the next election. That wouldn't stop a person running as an independent from contesting the presidency. That's what happened when Clinton ran for the Presidency. Perot ran. Perot won many states which Bush Sr. might have won had there not been a vote split. They have the electoral college so winning states is important. Without the independent Perot, the outcome in 1992 would have likely been much closer, at the very least.

I don't see U.S. government bonds as being any better or worse than they were a month ago.

With troubled countries, when the IMF steps in that means you and I. Canada and the U.S. are some of the nations making the loan. The U.S. a higher percentage than Canada.

I don't know how high gold will go. It never ceases to amaze me how high something can get before it finally drops. Or how low before it rises. Kind a like a penulum. The truth is maybe somewhere in the middle.

The main problem I can see with gold, no matter how high it gets, is this. If times get to where it's the only thing left with which to buy goods, what you want you'll likely be able to get. What you NEED, still won't likely be available.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
        Obama irrevelent? Did you mean irreverent - lacking veneration? Should he go to church more? We had a chess expert in Toronto who, when spotting a poor move by an opponent would ask "Did you go to school, or did you go to church?" :):)
        I guess that was a bad word to transpose letters. Irrelevant is what I meant.

Not to get too far off topic, but that chess expert, did he get away with statements like that to an opponent during play? I thought chess frowned on that sort of thing (unlike poker, where it is part of the show)?
        Only the rushing is heard...
        Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Those sort of comments are OK when it's street/coffeehouse chess :)

Comment

Working...
          X