6th Edmonton International Recap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6th Edmonton International Recap

First of all I would like to thank all those who made this event happen.
    The list is quite large and it does not include all those who contributed to the festival. TD Ali Razzaq did a great job of running a smooth-dispute free event and maintaining the DGT online broadcast which allowed everyone to see the games live.
    Micah Hughey, did a great job assembling the roster of the international and offering $1000 of his own money if a perfect score was achieved, ECC president-Terry Seehagen made sure that finances were all taken care of. The Kassam and Wang families helped enhance the event by putting together a wonderful Barbecue for all the participants.
    Jim Daniluk, came from Calgary and helped give rides to players to places such as: West Edmonton Mall. Bruce Thomas and "The Roving ChessNuts" provided some of the event's DGT boards and Rob Gardner gave an airport ride to the airport.
    A special thanks goes to the event sponsors: The Edmonton Chess Club, Sardul Purewal, Alberta Chess Association, Alberta Sports Recreation Parks and Wildlife Foundation, George F. Heagley "The Cotswold Studio," and Bradley Willis, as well as all the others who contributed anything to the event. This event would not be possible without their contributions. Last but not least, I would like to thank all the participants. For the first time, the International section did not contain any draws in under 30 moves as games were all combative.

Here are all the event winners:

International:

1. GM Joel Benjamin 7.5/9 ($1100).
    2. GM Alexander Shabalov 6.5/9 ($550).
    3. IM Edward Porper 5.5/9 ($300).
    4. FMs Vladimir Pechenkin/Alisa Melekhina 5/9 ($100 each).

Bradley Willis Best game prize: It was a tie between GM Joel Benjamin-GM Alexander Shabalov and NM Rob Gardner-FM Alisa Melekhina ($25 per player).

Biggest upset: NM Belsar Valencia for his draw against GM Alexander Shabalov(373 points difference divided by two) $60.

Reserves:

1. NM Nic Haynes: 5.5/6 ($250)
    2. NM Roy Yearwood: 4.5/6 ($120)

Best u-2000:

Mike Zeggelaar/Regina-veronicka Kalaydina: 4/6 ($50 each).

Best u-1800:

Kevin Smith and Willy Majaducon 3/6 ($50 each).

You can view the International standings at: www.edmontonchessfestival.ca/international
    Reserves standings are available at:
    http://edmontonchessfestival.ca/reserves
    Videos and pictures from the event can be found at:
    http://edmontonchessfestival.ca/multimedia

See you next year!

Re: 6th Edmonton International Recap

Enjoyed following online and seeing the daily updates. Well done to all involved.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
      Enjoyed following online and seeing the daily updates. Well done to all involved.
      Thanks Dave. In case you are thinking of coming back to Edmonton some time soon the Battle of Alberta in on September 24th... :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Rekhson View Post
        Thanks Dave. In case you are thinking of coming back to Edmonton some time soon the Battle of Alberta in on September 24th... :-)
        Won't be around for it, but I will still be heavily involved in the trash talk.

Comment

Won't be around for it, but I will still be heavily involved in the trash talk.
          I wonder if Costa Rica is Northern Alberta or Southern Alberta?

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
            I wonder if Costa Rica is Northern Alberta or Southern Alberta?
            Doesn't matter since I live in Europe now :p Some quick internet research shows:

Edmonton: 53°34′N 113°31′W
            My current location: 54°10′23'N 4°26′20'W
            Red Deer: 52°16′05'N 113°48′40'W

So I'm firmly good to be in the north I believe.

ps of all the things to link to re: Costa Rica, why that one?
            Last edited by David Ottosen; Sunday, 7th August, 2011, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Doesn't matter since I live in Europe now :p Some quick internet research shows:

Edmonton: 53°34′N 113°31′W
              My current location: 54°10′23'N 4°26′20'W
              Red Deer: 52°16′05'N 113°48′40'W

So I'm firmly good to be in the north I believe.

We did recently try to evaluate the relative strength of players from the co-ordinates north of Red Deer and south. I think that the south will be stronger but not by much.

Basically the north would be most of team Russia (most notably excluding Kramnik as Paris is more southern), plus Magnus Carlsen and possibly Anish Giri and Radoslav Wojtaszek.

Comment

It happened to be the one I was looking at before switching tabs and seeing this thread. Besides, I'm interested in biochar and terra preta. Not very chessy, but we've already OT'd this thread all the way to Hella, Iceland. Which is in the North, no matter how you slice Alberta.

Comment

Working...
                X