• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aronian Interview

here are some quotes from the latest Crestbook interview with Lev Aronian
    http://www.crestbook.com/en/node/1547

Any comments/reactions to the last one?

Chess Books
    Among contemporary authors I’m closely acquainted with the works of Dvoretsky, Rowson, Nunn, Timman and Marin. I like Marin’s books in particular. He’s very scrupulous in what he does, his books convey personal experience from his career, and he has a good sense of humour.

...here are some books I really like: “Secrets of a Study Composer” by Genrikh Kasparyan, “Into the Fire of the Attack” by Mikhail Tal, the 4-volume work by Mikhail Botvinnik, “50 Selected Games” by Bent Larsen, “My 60 Memorable Games” by Bobby Fischer and “The Strategy of Solidity” by Tigran Petrosian.

Q: favourite chess book in your childhood?
    A: “Alekhine’s 300 games”.

Q: Do you read chess literature nowadays?
    A: I do, but mainly endgame textbooks which are passed to me by my friend and fan Vartan.

Fischer Random/Chess960
    It’s a game I really love and I see it as the future of chess.

Bullet Chess
    I’ve never played one-minute as I’ve always considered it a harmful pastime which can stop a chess player thinking abstractly while not worrying about time.

Music
    It’s rare that analysis takes place without a musical accompaniment, and the music in such cases is very varied. The normal rotation is to have Otis Redding, Benny More, The Doors, many other groups and performers, and also jazz, folklore music from various countries and classical music.

Before a game I often listen to something by J.S. Bach or John Coltrane. Those two, a composer and a musician, are always with me. After a game I often read or watch something.

Losing and Winning
    Q: What do you do after a loss?
    A: I try to understand why it happened, and I try to forget about it.
    Q: And what do you do after a difficult and beautiful win?
    A: I spend a while engaging in narcissism, and then I try to get in the right mood for the coming games.

Breaking 2300
    Q: I’m 18 and play at approximately a 1950-2000 level. Can I reach 2300 Elo?
    A: 2300 isn’t the kind of summit that’s hard to conquer. Even if you only devote 3-4 hours a week to chess you should be able to reach that level in a couple of years, as long as you have the chance to play in tournaments.

Re: Aronian Interview-WOW!

"Breaking 2300Q: I’m 18 and play at approximately a 1950-2000 level. Can I reach 2300 Elo?
    A: 2300 isn’t the kind of summit that’s hard to conquer. Even if you only devote 3-4 hours a week to chess you should be able to reach that level in a couple of years, as long as you have the chance to play in tournaments."

As long you're from Armenia I guess. Otherwise it's rather depressing for ordinary mortals.

Otherwise this was a really fantastic interview which I should again to take it all in.

Comment

Re: Aronian Interview-WOW!

Originally posted by Michael Yip View Post
      "Breaking 2300Q: I’m 18 and play at approximately a 1950-2000 level. Can I reach 2300 Elo?
      A: 2300 isn’t the kind of summit that’s hard to conquer. Even if you only devote 3-4 hours a week to chess you should be able to reach that level in a couple of years, as long as you have the chance to play in tournaments."

As long you're from Armenia I guess. Otherwise it's rather depressing for ordinary mortals.
      well it's just silly asking aronian how far/quickly a class player can improve. he'd have no idea. i seem to recall reading that lasker said some unrealistic things about how anyone could become a master etc etc.

otherwise, yes, a good interview.

Comment

Working...
      X