Movie Extra in Toronto?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movie Extra in Toronto?

Maybe some chess players might be interested. If I lived in Toronto, I would be:

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/tfr/2539585185.html
    "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Re: Movie Extra in Toronto?

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
    Maybe some chess players might be interested. If I lived in Toronto, I would be:

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/tfr/2539585185.html
    I'll remember that your standard for an interesting wages is <= $11/hr next time the value of your time comes up.....

Comment

I don't know about this movie specifically, but in the past I have been on a movie set and in that case I got some perks (e.g. free, good quality food). If you bring a book you can get a lot of reading in. Watching how a movie is made was a very interesting experience, at least to me.
      "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

I give a thumbs up to Tom for seeing "seedy characters wanted" and immediately thinking "chesstalk!"

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
          Did you apply? :p

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
            Did you apply? :p
            If I was in Toronto, sure would. Though I'm more a couch potato than a seed.

Comment

I sent this job posting to my Mother in law in TO...

Comment

I was an extra in Divided Loyalties a couple of decades ago. I'm one of those indistinguishable guys walking behind Paul Gross's horse in the Kleinburg woods and also an indistinguishable Onondaga checking out the spiffy muskets Joseph Brand has brought. Actually it was fun. Long hours though.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence Day View Post
                  I was an extra in Divided Loyalties a couple of decades ago. I'm one of those indistinguishable guys walking behind Paul Gross's horse in the Kleinburg woods and also an indistinguishable Onondaga checking out the spiffy muskets Joseph Brand has brought. Actually it was fun. Long hours though.
                  I did a full dress (costume) promotion for the Prince and the Showgirl when it was released in Winnipeg. I was Laurence Olivier and not Marilyn. :) For Marilyn they had a really gorgeous woman. We rode around in an open convertible car waving to the crowds.

I'd applied for an usher job at the theater. Something I could do summer and part time while I was in school. It turned out that after the promotion they didn't have a uniform large enough to fit me. I had too big a chest. So I went and ushered for the prestigious Odeon theater for about a year and a half. My stint in show business.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

My brother, a starving Phd student in TO, has done this sort of work in the past. He said that it gives him plenty of time to sit around and work on his thesis while making a few bucks and getting free food and coffee. Doesn't sound like too bad a deal if you've nothing better to do on that day.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Kirby View Post
                      My brother, a starving Phd student in TO, has done this sort of work in the past. He said that it gives him plenty of time to sit around and work on his thesis while making a few bucks and getting free food and coffee. Doesn't sound like too bad a deal if you've nothing better to do on that day.
                      Last week I was in Background Holding at Roy Thompson Hall with 300 cash extras. There was a card game and one actor was playing chess against his computer. In the past I recall one actor reading Europe Echecs and have seen a Scrabble board set up. These days, a large number of the actors are Russian, so maybe some reasonable players.

Earlier in the year a TV series required actors to play chess at Yonge-Dundas Square. A highly-paid CMA consultant was brought in to set up some checkmates.

Comment

A few years ago I played the small part of Conrad Black teaching chess to a youngster for a CBC un-authorized TV drama. Well paid for 3-4 hours of my time inc. a false fire alarm that empied all the staff from CBC HQ in Toronto!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
                          Earlier in the year a TV series required actors to play chess at Yonge-Dundas Square. A highly-paid CMA consultant was brought in to set up some checkmates.
                          Hi Erik,

I looked into this.

From what I have found out, a call was received at Chess'n Math in Toronto. The person who answered the phone simply took the contract for themselves and did not pass the information on to their supervisor.

I assume the cheque was made out to the person in question as it was not made out to us....nor were we involved in the negotiation of price etc.

In my opinion, this was disgusting behaviour by this individual. It would be the same thing as calling a plumbing company for a plumber...and the person who answers the phone says...no problem...I will take care of this for you....sets up their own price and is paid directly.

We were called and the caller expected to receive professional treatment from a company with a long history of serving the community.

My conclusion is that they were deceived....unless of course, my enquiries have not given me all the facts.

Care to comment on any errors in my understanding of the situation?

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                            Hi Erik,

I looked into this.

From what I have found out, a call was received at Chess'n Math in Toronto. The person who answered the phone simply took the contract for themselves and did not pass the information on to their supervisor.

I assume the cheque was made out to the person in question as it was not made out to us....nor were we involved in the negotiation of price etc.

In my opinion, this was disgusting behaviour by this individual. It would be the same thing as calling a plumbing company for a plumber...and the person who answers the phone says...no problem...I will take care of this for you....sets up their own price and is paid directly.

We were called and the caller expected to receive professional treatment from a company with a long history of serving the community.

My conclusion is that they were deceived....unless of course, my enquiries have not given me all the facts.

Larry
                            It is however, a common problem with some industries. Some relatives of mine used to run a high end hairdressing salon [you'd be lucky to get out of there for less than $300]. So the way that business works, is the stylists all have their own clients who like to use them and them alone. The client comes in and what ever is paid, x% goes to the salon to cover, well the business costs. But, it is pretty easy for the stylist to use the salon to build up their client list, then say to the client, well next time, I'll come to your house and give you a 10% discount (and cut the salon out of the process). Very hard to control.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                              Hi Erik,

I looked into this.

Larry
                              Sorry to get your employee in trouble.

I have nothing to do with any connections or contracts. You must have a policy in place when an adult phones the store for chess lessons? I know several productions have bought equipment from your store and it was funny seeing the CFC magazines in Searching for Bobby Fisher. Do you have an official consultant in Toronto? Who can show up on a day's notice and stay for 14 hours? Have you, personally, done the consulting when CMA was approached by a production in Montreal?

Comment

Working...
                              X