X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obituary - Alex Strojevs

From Mike Beatty (sent end of June):

Dear Canadian chess community:

It is my sad duty to inform you of the recent passing of Alex Strojevs at the age of 85 in Peterborough, Ontario.

Alex was a decades-long CFC member and habitué of the tournament circuit. Following his retirement in 1988, he & his wife relocated from Toronto to Peterborough.

The Toronto chess scene’s loss was Peterborough’s gain…& scourge! Ah…sweet paradox. Once Alex arrived in our fair city, he began to regularly win the city championship. He won the city championship as recently as 2007. Following is the script for the playoff game that decided that championship. The game is by no means error-free ; most of the errors - if not all - are mine ; Alex simply handled the pressure better than did I. Although I know Alex played games much more brilliant than this and defeated opponents much stronger than I - this game does demonstrate his tremendous resolve when under immense pressure:

Alex Strojevs - Mike Beatty
    2007 Peterborough YMCA Chess Championship
    Playoff - Game # 4
    1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 d5 4.e3 Bg7 5.Nf3 O-O 6.Bd3 c6 7.O-O Nbd7 8.cxd5 cxd5 9.b3 Re8 10.Bb2 Nb6 11.Rc1 Bd7 12.Ne5 a6 13.Nxd7 Qxd7 14.Qf3 Rac8 15.Ne2 Rxc1 16.Rxc1 Rc8 17.Nc3 Rc6 18.Qd1 h5 19.Ne2 Ng4 20.Rxc6 Qxc6 21.h3 Nf6 22.Qc2 Qxc2 23.Bxc2 e6 24.a4 Bf8 25.f3 Nfd7 26.e4 Nc8 27.exd5 exd5 28.Nf4 Nf6 29.Kf2 Bd6 30.Ke3 Ne7 31.g4 hxg4 32.hxg4 Nd7 33.Bc3 g5 34.Nd3 Nc6 35.Nf2 f6 36.Bf5 Nb6 37.a5 Na8 38.Be6+ Kf8 39.Bxd5 Nc7 40.Bxc6 bxc6 41.Bd2 Nb5 42.Nd3 Bh2 43.Bb4+ Kf7 44.Ke4 Bg1 45.d5 cxd5+ 46.Kxd5 Nd4 47.Bc5 Nxb3 48.Bxg1 Nxa5 49.Nc5 Ke7 50.Bd4
    1-0

Alex, a long-time member of the Scarborough Chess Club, was its champion from 1965-1966. I have no doubt that he throttled his fellow club members in the same manner he throttled we Peterboroughians - right into his twilight years!

He and his charming wife loved to travel. In addition to frequent cruises - which often had a chess component to them - Alex played in several World Opens - plus sundry other tournaments south of the border. After relocating to Peterborough, he continued to play in Toronto. The impetus for his continued participation was two-fold ; he, of course, loved the competition - but it also gave he & his bride an opportunity to visit cherished friends in Toronto…and his wife - by all accounts a legendary shopper - a chance to wield her prowess. Alex was also known to go on the “occasional” fishing expedition i.e. “occasional” as in…, during the summer months - he was a non-entity at the chess club ; truly a man of many passions!

Alex was fond of reminding me that I had been heavily favoured with the white pieces in our head-to-head encounters. Well…can’t escape the facts. Nor did I feel the need to because Alex always framed his rejoinders so self-deprecatingly!

We’re going to dearly miss you old friend. Rest in peace.

Alex is survived by his wife Wilma and his daughter Ramona.

Mike Beatty

Here is the link to the obituary for Alex:

http://www.highlandpark-vrc.com/obit...y.php?id=95734

In closing - here are the thoughts of one long-time CFC organizer who has known Alex since their GTA days together.

"Alex was very competitive in chess and would never let you have an easy game. He would play the games to the bitter end. He was truly a gentlemen when we played. May he rest in peace and get many games of chess where he is now. John R. Brown"

Re: Obituary - Alex Strojevs

It is very sad to hear about Alex passing away.
    I remember him to be a true gentleman and a fair opponent.
    As it happened I played against him three times between 1997-2000 in his Ottawa time - he had always the Black pieces ...

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
      From Mike Beatty (sent end of June):

Dear Canadian chess community:

It is my sad duty to inform you of the recent passing of Alex Strojevs at the age of 85 in Peterborough, Ontario.
      Very sad news indeed. Alex was a mainstay at the Scarborough Club when I joined as a teenager in the mid 60's (when it was on Macey Ave near Victoria Park and Danforth Road)

Alex, Howard Ridout, John Kohlfurst, Frank and Ted Tebbs, Gary Blackman, etc were all keen players and put up with the brashness and enthusiasm of youth from me and many of my peers... Alex was indeed a gentleman and when he was on his game he had a very good tactical eye. I don't recall him ever having a harsh word for anyone or anything.
      Rest in Peace my friend.
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Kerry, I remember Alex from the Scarborough club. Much as I try, I can't recall details.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I played a game at the Scarborough club in September 1968 with a player whose name I have recorded as "A. Strajens", rating 1736. Since A. Strojevs is listed in the CFC rating booklet of 1 July 1967 with rating 1736, I strongly suspect that the "Strajens" name is due to my difficulty transcribing my own hand-writing many years after the fact. Needless to say, Mr. Strojevs won the game!
          I am glad to have learned his proper name. Thanks for bringing back memories of the SCC. I was / am only a C class player, with sometime ventures into B territory; the game I mentioned above was in the opening swiss for the 1968-69 year.

John

Comment

My name is Ramona Strojevs and I am Alex Strojevs' daughter. It is nice to read these wonderful and kind comments about my dear Papa. Mum and I miss him so very very much.
            If anyone is interested, I have a small write up, that I read at his funeral. It is on my website www.BurlingtonHomeForYou.com, and it is titled My Papa.

Thank you again for sharing your memories of chess games with Papa.

Ramona Strojevs

Photo of Ramona and Papa - 85th Birthday
            Last edited by Ramona Strojevs; Friday, 21st October, 2011, 09:10 PM. Reason: link name

Comment

Originally posted by Ramona Strojevs View Post
              My name is Ramona Strojevs and I am Alex Strojevs' daughter. It is nice to read these wonderful and kind comments about my dear Papa. Mum and I miss him so very very much.
              If anyone is interested, I have a small write up, that I read at his funeral. It is on my website www.BurlingtonHomeForYou.com, and it is titled My Papa.

Thank you again for sharing your memories of chess games with Papa.

Ramona Strojevs

Photo of Ramona and Papa - 85th Birthday

Thank you Ramona for posting that tribute to your father. I played chess with him at the Scarborough Chess Club in the 60's and 70's (when I was a teenager) and he was indeed a remarkable man. I will pass on your letter to several of my friends who also knew him - he was kind, generous, a more than worthy opponent and gracious in victory as well as defeat - an inspiration to many.

Kerry Liles
              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Thank you for the kind words. He was an amazing man.

About 2 weeks before Papa died, he came to me with his Class A Scarborough Chess Club Trophy, 1965-1966 and said to me "This is the trophy I am MOST proud of. Promise me that you will keep it for the rest of your life."
                So I have it now, in a place of honor in my home.

Ramona.

Comment

My memory isn't as good as it used to be and I knew your father but can't picture him. Did he work for Carruthers? If he did then I remember him well. I didn't work there but used to do service calls.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Yes, he worked at Crothers for well over 25 years! In Leaside and the they relocated toward the airport. He retired about 24 years ago and then he and Mum moved to Peterborough.
                    I have a photo of him in my original post, you just have to click on it.
                    Ramona

Comment

his Class A Scarborough Chess Club Trophy, 1965-1966
                      Could you take a picture of the trophy and share it with us? :)

Comment

Sure!! Give me a few minutes ....

Comment

Yes, he worked at Crothers for well over 25 years! In Leaside and the they relocated toward the airport. He retired about 24 years ago and then he and Mum moved to Peterborough.
                          I have a photo of him in my original post, you just have to click on it.
                          Ramona
                          I remember. I used to go to both locations. I seem to recall he was a foreman at the location near the airport. I worked for a utility.
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Yup. He was a Leadhand. Good memory! Picture will be ready soon. Just uploading it to Photobucket so I can link it here.
                            Ramona

Comment

Photo of Class A Trophy - Scarborough Chess Club 1965 - 1966

Close up of Trophy

Just click on the links - photos will open.

A nice walk down memory lane, I am glad to have company.

Enjoy the photos!
                              Ramona

Comment

Working...
                              X