CFC Crosstables and Ratings pages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFC Crosstables and Ratings pages

How easy would it be to add another field (number of players) to the existing fields (name, date, organizer, region, type) to the CFC Crosstable web page?

Also - it looks like Quebec "organizer" names are getting truncated if they have an accent in them (e.g. "Bérubé" shows up as "Bé", and "Dénommée" shows up as "Dée").

http://chess.ca/crosstable

On the Ratings page, if I enter "Hebert", the name Jean Hébert doesn't show up - although other Héberts (with the accent) do. If I enter "Hébert", Jean appears (along with Hieberts, and other Heberts and Héberts, and others).

One solution - remove accents completely, as many chess databases have already done.

Re: CFC Crosstables and Ratings pages

What can you expect for a mere $18,000? Well they could have flushed the money down a toilet but then they would have had to divide it into 18 bundles and flush 18 times - too much work! (And a waste of water!)
    For me, the old site worked better. I wonder how much it would cost to revert to that previous site.
    Last edited by Vlad Dobrich; Wednesday, 17th August, 2011, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
      What can you expect for a mere $18,000? Well they could have flushed the money down a toilet but then they would have had to divide it into 18 bundles and flush 18 times - too much work!
      For me, the old site worked better. I wonder how much it would cost to revert to that previous site.
      It would cost the $18,000 already spent to revert to the old site.
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
        What can you expect for a mere $18,000? Well they could have flushed the money down a toilet but then they would have had to divide it into 18 bundles and flush 18 times - too much work! (And a waste of water!)
        Hi Vlad,

I could not agree with you more! :)

I liked the old website better as well, and with everyday I appreciate old site even better. :D

P.S. Keep up the good work on running Saturday 15 minute tournaments!

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
          How easy would it be to add another field (number of players) to the existing fields (name, date, organizer, region, type) to the CFC Crosstable web page?

Also - it looks like Quebec "organizer" names are getting truncated if they have an accent in them (e.g. "Bérubé" shows up as "Bé", and "Dénommée" shows up as "Dée").

http://chess.ca/crosstable

On the Ratings page, if I enter "Hebert", the name Jean Hébert doesn't show up - although other Héberts (with the accent) do. If I enter "Hébert", Jean appears (along with Hieberts, and other Heberts and Héberts, and others).

One solution - remove accents completely, as many chess databases have already done.
          1) A number of players field would have been easier to add three months ago than today.

2) I am seeing about the search on Hebert. That is odd.

3) We will try and address accenting problems as we carry along.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikhail Egorov View Post
            Hi Vlad,

I could not agree with you more! :)

I liked the old website better as well, and with everyday I appreciate old site even better. :D
            Et tu, Brute?
            Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Wednesday, 17th August, 2011, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
              Et tu, Brute?
              Bob: Don't forget we're on ChessTalk. Would you expect any less ??

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                Et tu, Brute?
                Everyone knows that chesstalk is designed to share latest chess news,
                express their opinions and suggestions. Just to point out, my post only an opinion and 'opinion' only, and nothing more. We live in democracy, not dictatorship. As far as I understand, in democracy, opinions are encouraged! :D

Hi Bob,
                Sorry, but I do not know what these words mean. Maybe one day you will enlighten me on their meaning. Going by mad expression face in your post, I take it that you are offended with my post. Sorry to hear that, but I am simply stating my opinion to general public. Thanks.

Mikhail

Comment

express their opinions and suggestions. Just to point out, my post only an opinion and 'opinion' only, and nothing more. We live in democracy, not dictatorship. As far as I understand, in democracy, opinions are encouraged! :D

Hi Bob,
                  Sorry, but I do not know what these words mean. Maybe one day you will enlighten me on their meaning. Going by mad expression face in your post, I take it that you are offended with my post. Sorry to hear that, but I am simply stating my opinion to general public. Thanks.

Mikhail
                  Maybe Kevin P can conduct a poll or two about the web site, to see why people like the old one better and how many share that opinion.

Comment

Hi Bob,
                    Sorry, but I do not know what these words mean. Maybe one day you will enlighten me on their meaning.
                    Mikhail
                    Why, it is Shakespeare my good friend. I shall explain it to you on friday as you remove the knife from my back. :D Just kidding. ;)

And what of this talk of dictatorship again! Have you been speaking to Mr. Barron again?
                    Did I not expressly forbid that! :D:D:D

Comment

Hi Bob,

Mikhail
                      Hi Mikhail,
                      Your apology was not called for. One must always try to avoid dealing with petty functionaries. If you avoid them they will eventually stab one another in the back - mission accomplished! :)

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post

Hugh - I have started a poll on the CFC board to gauge public opinion on your suggestion. :)

Comment

I think the CFC executive should take any feedback they receive on the new website. I think most feedback needs to be taken in the context that the executive raised the expectations of how great the CFC world would be once the new website was in place.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                            Bob: Don't forget we're on ChessTalk. Would you expect any less ??
                            Yeah. Well, when I go to the site the page comes up fast. Then I have to wait and wait for the page to completely load. That happens with every function I want on the site.

I have a fast cable connection.

I kind of sit here waiting and rooting for the page to load.

I don't know if anyone else is having that problem but at my age I don't buy green bananas, much less visit slow web sites.
                            Gary Ruben
                            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                              Yeah. Well, when I go to the site the page comes up fast. Then I have to wait and wait for the page to completely load. That happens with every function I want on the site.

I have a fast cable connection.

I kind of sit here waiting and rooting for the page to load.

I don't know if anyone else is having that problem but at my age I don't buy green bananas, much less visit slow web sites.
                              Response times are hard to compare. I don't find the response time to be slow over my home cable connection here in PEI. Maybe 2 seconds for a page to load.

Comment

Working...
                              X