X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1994 Canadian Chess Challenge

Where was it held?

St. John's Newfoundland!

If you have ever been there you will know how friendly the people are...and these folks can put on a great show! Kissing the cod was one of our late night games LOL.

Why am I chatting about this now?

Well Spring cleaning for me usually happens...later in the year. Today I was doing some more cleaning of my basement and...I came across about a dozen of the souvenir programs from this historic event. This souvenir program will be available for FREE on our website tomorrow (while quantities last) as long as you pay the Canada Post charges of $5.00 plus tax...or if if you make a purchase over $35...then you get it for FREE... period :)

Jim Duffett and Jim Dinn were the architects of this amazing event. They worked hard on sponsorship and came up with major sponsorship from Central Dairies Tropicana (Major Sponsor), Newfoundland Power (Major Co-Sponsor) and numerous other local sponsors.

They had an army of volunmteers: Glenn Cake, Kit Howley (you need a gal like this on-board...she is gold...even at these prices LOL!), Dave & Kim Scruton, Merril & Marily Locke, Pradip & Smita Joshi, Fred & Olag Sodha, Jim Duffet, San Winsor, Ross Collins, Peter Miller, Colleen White, Margaret Mattarola, Heather Heffernan, Yvonne Manning, Nina Quinlan, Joy Nimeroski, Lise Rowe, Leonard Morrissey, Hugh Maddox and Ron Pellerin.

So...if you want a piece of Canadian Chess history...the positive part of it :)...

Go to www.strategygames.ca tomorrow...and get you souvenir program for FREE :)

Larry

Re: 1994 Canadian Chess Challenge

They had an army of volunmteers: Glenn Cake, Kit Howley (you need a gal like this on-board...she is gold...even at these prices LOL!), Dave & Kim Scruton, Merril & Marily Locke, Pradip & Smita Joshi, Fred & Olag Sodha, Jim Duffet, San Winsor, Ross Collins, Peter Miller, Colleen White, Margaret Mattarola, Heather Heffernan, Yvonne Manning, Nina Quinlan, Joy Nimeroski, Lise Rowe, Leonard Morrissey, Hugh Maddox and Ron Pellerin.
    Wow, I remember playing in chess tournaments during my time in Newfoundland that Jim Duffet co-ordinated.

Also, Ron Pellerin was my school Principal at Lakecrest Independent School in St. John's for my grades 5-7 and spearheaded a fundraiser to send me off to Greece for the 2004 WYCC.

Memories!

Comment

Working...
    X