Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surprised the CFC ratings not updated yet

Usually Gerry is right on the ball.

Has anyone checked to make sure he's alright :)

Re: Surprised the CFC ratings not updated yet

Originally posted by Denton Cockburn View Post
    Usually Gerry is right on the ball.

Has anyone checked to make sure he's alright :)
    Nothing wrong with Gerry. He decided to rate some late tournaments, and didn't get the ratings on the website until about 10:30 AM ET today.

What are people's opinions ? Should we not even allow events submitted Wed to be rated ? I know I always have mine in on Tuesday....

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
      Nothing wrong with Gerry. He decided to rate some late tournaments, and didn't get the ratings on the website until about 10:30 AM ET today.

What are people's opinions ? Should we not even allow events submitted Wed to be rated ? I know I always have mine in on Tuesday....
      I tend to have mine in by the day of, or the day after the tournament.

I'm surprised that people are submitting on Wednesday. I think the cut-off should be a hard one on Tuesday at 11:59 pm.

Denton

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, the reports used to be due on Monday, except for events that ended on a Monday (ie Holiday weekends) which could be due on the Tuesday.

There's no way the deadline should be Wednesday, and there should be no obligation to rate any events submitted late until the next week.

If you allow people to be lazy, they'll never change and it'll only get worse...
        Christopher Mallon
        FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post

I would prefer the ratings to come out on time but no biggie if they are a few hours late. We used to be happy with ratings every two months. Rating the late tournaments means that he won't have to do them next week.

It would be nice if the SwissSys submissions were automatically included without requiring Gerry's intervention except where there was a problem in the entered results. If that were the case we could have continuous rating updates without deadlines.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
            I would prefer the ratings to come out on time but no biggie if they are a few hours late. We used to be happy with ratings every two months. Rating the late tournaments means that he won't have to do them next week.

It would be nice if the SwissSys submissions were automatically included without requiring Gerry's intervention except where there was a problem in the entered results. If that were the case we could have continuous rating updates without deadlines.
            Implementing something like this would be pretty nice.
            I think though that it would be fairly difficult, because Gerry is also responsible for collecting fees and memberships.

Comment

Originally posted by Denton Cockburn View Post
              Implementing something like this would be pretty nice.
              I think though that it would be fairly difficult, because Gerry is also responsible for collecting fees and memberships.
              I don't think that part of the task would change though a proper shopping cart function on the website could also simplify the payment portion of the job.

Comment

Geez, ratings used to be updated 6 times a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
                  Geez, chess players used to think more about playing chess than their rating.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
                    From 1973 to 1983, anyway. Then it was monthly, via the Northern. Before 1970, I believe that updates were quarterly, though you had to subscribe to Canadian Chess Chat to find out. For the rest, it was annual ratings booklets. The first annual CFC Rating list was 1954; not sure when Chess Chat started to publish interim lists.

Despite my nostalgia for the bad old days, it is an improvement to have ratings updated 52 times per year. A possible downside is if many events get rated out of order, but if they do, that's a flaw in system design, not in the frequency of updates.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                      From 1973 to 1983, anyway. Then it was monthly, via the Northern. Before 1970, I believe that updates were quarterly, though you had to subscribe to Canadian Chess Chat to find out. For the rest, it was annual ratings booklets. The first annual CFC Rating list was 1954; not sure when Chess Chat started to publish interim lists.

Despite my nostalgia for the bad old days, it is an improvement to have ratings updated 52 times per year. A possible downside is if many events get rated out of order, but if they do, that's a flaw in system design, not in the frequency of updates.
                      I don't think events can be rated out of order if they are submitted on time.
                      I'm pretty sure (or would expect) the system to order the addition of items to the database based on event completion date.

Even if that's not the case, it's shouldn't be that difficult to re-work the ratings to apply an update (this happened before when my rating was corrected).

Denton

Comment

Yes, they have (had?) a procedure to re-rate events when something gets submitted out of order.
                        Christopher Mallon
                        FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
                          Yes, they have (had?) a procedure to re-rate events when something gets submitted out of order.
                          probably 'had'. AFAIK, there are no plans to rerate events which have been improperly submitted as regular as opposed to active, even quite recent events.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
                            probably 'had'. AFAIK, there are no plans to rerate events which have been improperly submitted as regular as opposed to active, even quite recent events.
                            Is that a reference to the long standing Victoria - Vancouver philosophy regarding this question? Or is this something of which I am not aware :)

Comment

You can get tournaments rated "out of order" for certain individuals if (for example) someone plays in a 5-round one-game-a-week event, and plays in a couple of weekend Swisses during that time. His 5-rounder won't be rated until its completion; meanwhile, the Swisses have been rated.

Is the CFC's rating program sophisticated enough to rate games/tournaments like these in exact chronological order?

Comment

Working...
                              X