Budapest!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Budapest!

Hi Larry,Sorry I did not tell you of my travels to Eastern Europe when me met last week.Budapest i found frustrating-the lanuage,our B&B etc. but that was years ago-i know things are better now. We stayed in a spot overlooking Parliament.The restaurant scene was ok. But ,the City we loved was Prague!!! Our favorite at the time.A must see-so interesting...have a great trip and enjoy Paris we loved it last September-our favorite Euro city....

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Yip View Post
      Hi Larry

Umm well I live in Budapest so I will be happy to take you around a bit.:) Send me an email and I can give you my address etc. Will you want to play in a tournament?

Mike
      Mike, it's been a very long time!!

What brought you to move to Budapest?

Jordan
      No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan S. Berson View Post
        Mike, it's been a very long time!!

What brought you to move to Budapest?

Jordan
        Play some chess! and continue life's adventure since teaching English in China for about 3 yrs. Last fews years around the world made some interesting discoveries.

I had some good memories of Hungary from my last visits in 1993/95 but since then chess/living circumstances have changed here and now I have more info and am not so naiive.

I played 4 months in Kecskemet(1993) and 3 month in Budapest in 1995 but now I am more aware of the darker side of chess here. First Saturday I have discovered is primary into gouging tourists and the norm industry is just a little cottage industry for earning foreign currency. In First Sartuday (non-norm events), there's a 2 tier pricing system where 'tourists' get gouged. They don't advertise in Hungarian on the Hungarian Fed site for the locals-that's how much prices vary.

The superiory of East european chess due to the number of titled players is just a big myth. The only things that's happening is the large frequency of norm tournaments and all the seedy things that are associated with this..etc

I guess you don't get the BCCF bulletin. Usually I try to give details of chess life here. Actually there's as much chess going on in Montreal and Toronto as there is in Budapest. The big difference is the regular team championship events. Now I play for division 2 team Rakosliget. We're not a contender!

The team captain is a young uni student who is spending the off season recruiting new team members. People are generally quite friendly here but just not English speaking.

My next project is probably learning some Hungarian...

Anyway BCCF bulletin is best way to keep with my chess happenings. I do a monthly chess news letter/database with all my games for my international chess friends. This month other chess content in an unofficial Budapest Chess News format [Message me an email if you want to be included.]

Comment

Larry,

I will get in touch with the former president of the Hungarian Chess Federation ( Itsvan Horvath) who happens to be a good friend of mine. His wife speaks fluent english as well as french and I am quite certain that he will be more than happy to offer you some insights. I will get back to you with details as to how to contact him.
          All the best,
          Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Boross-Harmer View Post
            Larry,

I will get in touch with the former president of the Hungarian Chess Federation ( Itsvan Horvath) who happens to be a good friend of mine. His wife speaks fluent english as well as french and I am quite certain that he will be more than happy to offer you some insights. I will get back to you with details as to how to contact him.
            All the best,
            Peter
            Hi Peter,

That would be awesome!!

Thanks,

Larry

Comment

Larry,
              Contact info for Istvan Horvath & his wife Judit Szerb( who speaks English well) is:
              szerbj at gmail dot com
              OR
              011-36-1-251-5706
              Once you are in Budapest, drop the 011 36
              I have let them kno wthat you may be in touch to inquire about all chess related activities there.
              All the best,
              Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Boross-Harmer View Post
                Larry,
                Contact info for Istvan Horvath & his wife Judit Szerb( who speaks English well)

All the best,
                Peter
                Hi Peter,

Very much appreciated!

Larry

Comment

Working...
                X