• New Brantford Website

The Brantford Chess Club has just updated to a new website check it out
    brantchess.ca:)

Re: New Brantford Website

Good job! vids were cool.

Comment

I was interested in the " Reports of Pervious Tournaments"

Would like to see a photo of the club, inside and out, as there is for harmony square.

Are memberships yearly? By calendar, Sept to Aug or 1 year from day signed up?

I didn't get to see the list of club ratings (links to Primus site).

Established in 1920. Did you know that there was a Brantford CC at the Mechanics Institute [library] back in the 1874 which competed against teams
      from other towns? And a chess column by H. F. Lee in the Brantford Courier 1879-81.

Here's a local game from 1881 published in the Toronto Globe:

H. F. Lee - C. H. Weightman
      1. e4 e5
      2. f4 exf4
      3. Nf3 g5
      4. Bc4 g4
      5. d4 gxf3
      6. 0-0 fxg2
      7. Rxf4 Bh6
      8. Qh5 Qe7
      9. Rxf7 Qxe4
      and mate in 3.

Comment

I believe that the club has been running each year since 1920 and I was aware of earlier activity in Brantford, details are scant. As far as I know, activity in Brantford before 1920 was minimal and there was no permanent club at that time. I believe Rob Gashgarian may be in possession of the original membership book which goes waaaay back. Basically it is a leger with member names and payments.

Comment

Excellent job on the website Lee. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Ficzere View Post
            I believe that the club has been running each year since 1920 and I was aware of earlier activity in Brantford, details are scant. As far as I know, activity in Brantford before 1920 was minimal and there was no permanent club at that time. I believe Rob Gashgarian may be in possession of the original membership book which goes waaaay back. Basically it is a leger with member names and payments.
            The Brantford Chess Club did have an executive in 1874, but the club didn't last long.

I found another game played in Brantford, a lost in a match with Hamilton in 1931. Although the Brantford Board 1 player was really from Galt, a past Canadian Correspondence Champion. They regularly played and lost to strong Hamilton teams.

Comment

The leger is very interesting to look through. It might be cool some day to come up with a list of club members for each year in digital form.
              Christopher Mallon
              FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
                The leger is very interesting to look through. It might be cool some day to come up with a list of club members for each year in digital form.
                I agree.

Hey Gash, next time I'm in Brantford, bring out the bible!

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
                  A scan of the first page, 1920 members, would be nice.

The Toronto Chess Club used to have a leger, I think it got lost after the club moved to Dundas St.W. but it had the nams and results of those who played in simults with visiting World Champions (Lasker, Alekhine). If the Brantford club had simul records, that might also be nice to scan and post.

Comment

Working...
                  X