Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ottawa Autumn Open: new kids section, and other changes

EOCA Tournaments webpage : http://www.eoca.org/htm/tournaments_2011-12.html

Hi chess fans, the EOCA (Eastern Ontario Chess Association) is pleased to officially announce the first event of the 2011-2012 EOCA Grand Prix. The Ottawa Autumn Open will be 5 rounds, from Friday, September 30th, to Sunday, October 2nd. Even though there remain many similarities to previous events by this Organizer/TD, there will also be some big new changes. Full details are posted on the EOCA website, and here are some of the highlights :

- A separate new section just for children, rated only CMA.
    - A separate new round-robin section for the top players.
    - 2 main sections, both rated CFC, and 1 also rated FIDE.
    - Gradually decreasing accelerated pairings for all Swiss.
    - Simplified discounts, can email ahead of onsite late fee.
    - There is no longer an evening round on the Saturday.

Registrations have already started coming in. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at your convenience. With these changes to the sections, intended to encourage competitive battles against a variety of opponents of appropriate ability, we are hoping to attract record numbers! :)

Yours in chess,

Aris Marghetis, FIDE Arbiter
    Organizer/TD, EOCA President
    arismarghetis at rogers dot com

Re: Ottawa Autumn Open: new kids section, and other changes

Hi again, I will be at the RA chess club this evening, taking registrations and payments for the Ottawa Autumn Open. Please note that next Thursday, I will be arriving at the RA chess club late, but tonight, I will be arriving early. Therefore, I encourage potential players to register and pay tonight, especially before tonight's round starts at 730pm.

I expect most of the registrations to happen tonight, and here is who we have so far :
    (ordered by last name for now)

Section A (top 6 round-robin)
    FM Robert Hamilton
    IM Brian Hartman
    IM Tom O'Donnell
    Joey Qin
    GM Bator Sambuev

Section B (rated FIDE & CFC)
    Danail Donev
    Bill Doubleday
    David Gordon
    Agastya Kalra
    Jacob Krolczyk
    Robert Laszlo
    Hugues Masse (or C)
    Halldor Palsson
    Gordon Ritchie
    Saied Sadeghi
    Emil Smilovici
    Zhiyuan Zhang
    Qiyu Zhou

Section C (rated only CFC)
    Terry Ju
    John Lukezich
    Fangyi Luo
    Kevin Wan (or B)
    David Zhang (or B)
    Jeff Zhang
    Kevin Zhang (or B)

Section D (rated only CMA)
    Larry Ju

http://www.eoca.org/htm/tournaments_2011-12.html

Comment

Hi again, just a heads-up that we need to close registrations for the top-6 round-robin.

So far, we have :

GM Sambuev
      IMs Hartman & O'Donnell
      FMs Hamilton & Sapozhnikov
      high-rated Joey Qin

Have I missed anyone, perhaps a late mail registration that I have not received yet?!

To be fair to these top players, we need to confirm the structure of this section ASAP.

Thanks and regards, Aris.

Comment

Hi Aris:

I think it is great that you are offering some of our top players a strong round-robin - I'm sure it is appreciated.

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
          Hi Aris:

I think it is great that you are offering some of our top players a strong round-robin - I'm sure it is appreciated.

Bob A
          Hi Bob, thanks for the encouragement. The top players seem quite excited about this format, as are many of the lower-rated big chess fans. We are guaranteed that every single round will have at least 3 elite games, just from this section, which is awesome!

N.B. I plan to post the round-robin pairings for all 5 rounds during the day tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
            Hi Bob, thanks for the encouragement. The top players seem quite excited about this format, as are many of the lower-rated big chess fans. We are guaranteed that every single round will have at least 3 elite games, just from this section, which is awesome!

N.B. I plan to post the round-robin pairings for all 5 rounds during the day tomorrow.
            I plan to draw lots for the top section tonight, at the RA chess club. As I expect to arrive late for my own game at 730pm, the lots will probably be drawn after my game has ended, at the RA Fieldhouse bar. We will then use the Berger tables at FIDE.com

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
              I plan to draw lots for the top section tonight, at the RA chess club. As I expect to arrive late for my own game at 730pm, the lots will probably be drawn after my game has ended, at the RA Fieldhouse bar. We will then use the Berger tables at FIDE.com
              Hi again, after getting crushed in my game tonight, I had help from Misters Upper, Gordon, Kirby, Ritchie, Palsson : we drew the lots using a favorite die of mine from Vegas!

Using the Berger tables at FIDE.com :
              http://www.fide.com/component/handbo...=article&id=20
              in other words :
              Rd 1: 1-6, 2-5, 3-4. Rd 2: 6-4, 5-3, 1-2. Rd 3: 2-6, 2-6, 3-1, 4-5. Rd 4: 6-5, 1-4, 2-3. Rd 5: 3-6, 4-2, 5-1.

I will provide a prettier schedule later in the day, but for now, here is the lots ordering :

1-Qin
              2-Hartman
              3-O'Donnell
              4-Sapozhnikov
              5-Sambuev
              6-Hamilton
              Last edited by Aris Marghetis; Friday, 30th September, 2011, 12:58 AM. Reason: missed a name

Comment

Working...
              X