Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different levels of chess thinking

Hey everyone,

So my experience, players can see a position completely different based on their level/rating. A 1800 will see a position one way and I'll look at it and they're for the most part very wrong. But now here's the interesting thing. Given that same position, would an FM/IM looking at it say that I'm completely wrong, and a GM saying the IM is wrong and so on.

What I want to know if you guys have seen (and maybe a link/reference) is a position analyzed by an IM, and then independently analyzed by a GM, where their analyses are very different. Of course I'd be looking for a full assessment of the position, as opposed to just "white/black is better" type thing. I'd settle for FM vs. IM too, just different levels of strong players.

Denton

Re: Different levels of chess thinking

All I can tell you is that when I look with one of my super GM friends (one of whom is staying at my home at the moment) at analysis by an IM or lower they quickly punch holes in it, less on the basis of tactics (which theses days are largely computer generated) than on positional considdrations.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
      All I can tell you is that when I look with one of my super GM friends (one of whom is staying at my home at the moment) at analysis by an IM or lower they quickly punch holes in it, less on the basis of tactics (which theses days are largely computer generated) than on positional considdrations.
      I'm assuming you're talking about Nigel Short, I'd like to borrow a GM for a week or so. So much to learn...

I remember watching Mark Bluvshtein analyzing at the CYCC last year. The speed at which he was seeing things was crazy to me. That suggests that probably half the moves I thought were even worth considering just wasn't.

Comment

Here is a very fun looking book (review) on the topic of seeing into a GMs mind.

Book: The Grandmaster`s mind
        http://www.chessville.com/reviews/Th...astersMind.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Denton Cockburn View Post
          you guys have seen (and maybe a link/reference) is a position analyzed by an IM, and then independently analyzed by a GM
          The closest book I know is Inside the Chess Mind by Aagaard. It contains test positions and it provides (independent) analyses by GMs, IMs, and amateurs. I don't remember if it has really opposite evaluations by GM and IM.

Comment

Hey everyone,

So my experience, players can see a position completely different based on their level/rating. A 1800 will see a position one way and I'll look at it and they're for the most part very wrong. But now here's the interesting thing. Given that same position, would an FM/IM looking at it say that I'm completely wrong, and a GM saying the IM is wrong and so on.

What I want to know if you guys have seen (and maybe a link/reference) is a position analyzed by an IM, and then independently analyzed by a GM, where their analyses are very different. Of course I'd be looking for a full assessment of the position, as opposed to just "white/black is better" type thing. I'd settle for FM vs. IM too, just different levels of strong players.

Denton
            Denton, your note tweaked some memories in my ancient brain. This will probably be way too vague, but here it is anyway:

1. Back in the '90s, Alex Yermolinsky and a partner, Boris Men (2500+ USCF at one time), ran a chess school for (advanced) students. It was called the Yermo Chess Academy (YCA).
            2. There was some material available online including an essay, if I remember correctly, by Boris Men which dealt with the topic of 'how' do we think and analyze. I remember hardly anything about it except that there was some discussion about a quantum leap in playing strength being preceded by, among other things no doubt, an awareness of what was lacking in the player's accumulated knowledge and in the player's way of perceiving the game.
            3. Yermo also had his own website back then which was full of interesting articles on chess in general. It was linked to the YCA site. Much of Yermo's former site is still available online but I can't locate anything significant from the YCA.
            4. So, to finally get to the point, below is a link to what's left of Yermo's site. Perhaps you are more adept at moving through cyber-space than I am and you'll be able to locate some old YCA stuff from clues in Yermo's site. If not, at least you'll have some interesting reading!

http://web.archive.org/web/200202020...rmo/diary.html
            "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
            "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
            "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Peter,

My Norton gave me a Malicious Web Site blocked message.

Gary
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                Denton, your note tweaked some memories in my ancient brain. This will probably be way too vague, but here it is anyway:

1. Back in the '90s, Alex Yermolinsky and a partner, Boris Men (2500+ USCF at one time), ran a chess school for (advanced) students. It was called the Yermo Chess Academy (YCA).
                2. There was some material available online including an essay, if I remember correctly, by Boris Men which dealt with the topic of 'how' do we think and analyze. I remember hardly anything about it except that there was some discussion about a quantum leap in playing strength being preceded by, among other things no doubt, an awareness of what was lacking in the player's accumulated knowledge and in the player's way of perceiving the game.
                3. Yermo also had his own website back then which was full of interesting articles on chess in general. It was linked to the YCA site. Much of Yermo's former site is still available online but I can't locate anything significant from the YCA.
                4. So, to finally get to the point, below is a link to what's left of Yermo's site. Perhaps you are more adept at moving through cyber-space than I am and you'll be able to locate some old YCA stuff from clues in Yermo's site. If not, at least you'll have some interesting reading!

http://web.archive.org/web/200202020...rmo/diary.html
                Thanks Peter. I've gone through and can't find anything though.

Comment

Thanks for posting this, Gary. All I can tell you is that the site works ok for me without any apparent problems. If Norton is giving you that message though, then best to not take chances.
                  "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                  "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Hey everyone,

Denton
                    Your views on chess ratings and their reflection on knowledge seem to be extremely superficial.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
                      Your views on chess ratings and their reflection on knowledge seem to be extremely superficial.
                      Your comments to Denton seem to be rude and extremely inconsiderate.

Comment

It would probably be better to stay on the topic of the thread, or to just ignore it if you have nothing constructive to add.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                          Your comments to Denton seem to be rude and extremely inconsiderate.
                          Peter, I'm not into the religon of chess and ratings as some of you are. Here's the great thing, my chess rating is so LOW you
                          can discount my opinion immediately.
                          Last edited by Duncan Smith; Monday, 19th September, 2011, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Hey everyone,

Denton
                            I remember I once heard about a quote from a super-GM (maybe it was Nigel Short?) who had been persuaded to have a look at a game between 1600s. His response was something like: "I had forgotten chess was played like this."
                            Marcus Wilker
                            Annex Chess Club
                            Toronto, Ontario

Comment

Peter, you are quite welcome to agree with Denton's concept no matter how superficial it is as stated. I'm not quite into
                              the religon of chess and ratings as some of you are.
                              I didn't say that I agreed or disagreed with Denton. But thanks for letting me know that I have your permission to agree with him should I choose to do so.

Comment

Working...
                              X