• Show
Clear All

• New OCA Executive

President - Christopher Mallon
    Vice-President - Brett Campbell
    Secretary - Michael von Keitz
    Treasurer - Kerry Liles
    Youth Coordinator - Patrick McDonald

More info to come about the AGM as soon as my stomach stops hating something I ate today!
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Re: New OCA Executive

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    President - Christopher Mallon

More info to come about the AGM as soon as my stomach stops hating something I ate today!
    Are you sure the problem isn't something you did today?

Discussing the OCA had become less appealing than a discussion on how to fill the hole when moving an outhouse. I look forward to some improvement.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

For those of us who couldn't attend the AGM today, were there any highlights worth recounting?

PS Congrats to the newly elected executive.

Comment

Highlights... well Barry and his entire slate (not counting Patrick) withdrew from running so most of the positions were acclaimed.

Talked about a potential permanent chess site in Toronto, more info on that to come.

Discussed the dispute between the OCA and the CFC. Informal agreement reached that in the future there should only be one collection point for registration fees, whether that be the organizers or the CFC.

Deferred all the constitutional amendments.

Really the only vote of importance was, instead of appointing an auditor, we created an "Audit Committee" which consists of the Treasurers of each of the Leagues, who will get to review any financial statements (encouraged to be quarterly) before they are made public. Should help reduce surprises and errors in the future.

The budget was referred to the new Executive to modify to suit our own plans.

Oh, we also made the decision to encourage the CFC to proceed with its TDOCP program (perhaps under new leadership) immediately, and failing that, to create an Ontario solution.
        Christopher Mallon
        FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Congratulations. (BTW, seeing as there was quite a furor over the antics, and lack of positive action, on the part of the previous exec, I'm surprised at how little comment there has been on the new exec.)

Comment

Well, Barry admitted that he made a mistake and should have resigned and then applied for the position, and he said he wasn't running for reelection. A few people still raised some pointed questions but that did sort of deflate what could have been a big verbal sparring match.

As it is, the meeting still took around 4 1/2 hours..
            Christopher Mallon
            FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Perhaps the reason that not more is being made of this is that, although I am sure that Mr. Mallon's judgment will prove superior to Mr. Thorvardson's, the OCA will still prove to be a totally useless organization that provides nothing for its members.
              "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Re : Re: New OCA Executive

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
                the OCA will still prove to be a totally useless organization that provides nothing for its members.
                Provincial Associations are there because Canada is divided in provinces. Other nations have adopted internal organisation that correspond to the political subdivision of their country.

France, with 40 000+ members, not counting class B members who are not considered as real members by the government, has a four levels system in which each intermediate level except the last one (the chess club) is considered to be a branch office of the national Federation despite the fact that they have a separate incorporation. Those non-sovereign organisations are not allowed any right to elect delegate at the Federation AGM. Only the clubs are entitled to a number of delegates proportional to the their number of licence holder with a maximum that prevents big clubs from dominating too much. Also, no club is allowed to accept those who are without a license from the national Chess Federation.

Chess Federation membership (correctly called a license), is sold exclusively through clubs. The price the license encompasses 4 parts, one for each level of authority in the structure. It varies from region to region and from club to club.

Another nice feature of France is that all sports Federations have the almost same Constitution as ordered by the minister of Sports. All subordinate structures also have basically the same constitution.

Although this multi-level system is highly successful, the bridge system, that dispenses with provincial associations, is also highly successful.

Both systems can be successful with the right persons at the helm, there is more then structure to success.

You may have your dream structure for the CFC, but it must pass the reality check : will it be voted by two thirds of the Governors chosen by the Provincial Affiliates or by the Leagues? Even if it could be mathematically proven that Chess would be better without the Provincial Affiliates, it is very unlikely that this would ever get voted. I prefer to put my energy on solutions that have a decent chance of being voted.
                Last edited by Pierre Denommee; Sunday, 8th June, 2008, 11:25 PM.

Comment

I am sure that eventually 2/3 of the people attending the EOCA annual meeting will see the light and vote to bypass the OCA directly.

"Both systems can be successful with the right persons at the helm, there is more then structure to success."

I guess based on your the above that you will resign soon from the FQSE? ;-)
                  "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Re : Re: New OCA Executive

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
                    I am sure that eventually 2/3 of the people attending the EOCA annual meeting will see the light and vote to bypass the OCA directly.

"Both systems can be successful with the right persons at the helm, there is more then structure to success."

I guess based on your the above that you will resign soon from the FQSE? ;-)
                    Under Quebec Laws, resignation is really valid only when your successor has been elected. Since there are vacancies at the FQSÉ board, all of them must be filled before anyone could be thinking about resignation :).

Comment

Re: Re : Re: New OCA Executive

Who are the members of the FQSE board at this moment, and what positions do they occupy? The deadline for candidates was May 15. Were there elections? Were they acclaimed? As a CFC member living in Quebec I should be able to know the board members of the CFC's "interim affilliate".

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: New OCA Executive

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                        Who are the members of the FQSE board at this moment, and what positions do they occupy? The deadline for candidates was May 15. Were there elections? Were they acclaimed? As a CFC member living in Quebec I should be able to know the board members of the CFC's "interim affilliate".
                        The AGM is yet to come. There will be an acclamation and there remain unfilled positions. Nothing has changed since last election.

Comment

Chris, What is this permanent chess site in Toronto? - Is it just conjecture and something nice to talk about?

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                            What is this permanent chess site in Toronto?
                            It is something what VP Brett Campbell tries to make in Downtown Toronto. This fall it should materialize.

Come and see him at Harbourfront:
                            http://www.harbourfrontcentre.com/wo...als.cfm?id=226
                            Games Around the World
                            July 1, 2008

Immigrants from around the world brought to Canada new foods, languages, and musical and artistic traditions-and also their games! Come down and learn about the oldest and best games of the world, games which have crossed borders, and become part of our multi-cultural fabric. Game demos facilitated by Brett Campbell, a F.I.D.E. (Federation International D'echecs) Chess Master, and Ted Winick, Director of the Chess Institute at Canada.

Prices
                            Everyone: FREE

Tuesday, July 1, 2008
                            3:30PM Brigantine Tent
                            Toronto Ontario
                            Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Tuesday, 10th June, 2008, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Does anyone know what the "Chess Institute of Canada" is? I see there is a website at that domain, with no content.

Comment

Working...
                              X