New OCA Executive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New OCA Executive

You didn't answer my question (Who are the members of the FQSE board at this moment, and what positions do they occupy?). I will do some fishing....

According to the FQSE web page, there were four board members acclaimed in 2006 for two-year terms (Dénommée, Filion, Kosoian, and Roussel). Incidentally - Charles Filion has been in Argentina for almost a year - he had never heard anything from the FQSE since the day he was approached to be nominated to the Board.

http://www.fqsportechecs.info/accuei....php?article49

Three positions were to be filled in 2007, but no results (nor length of terms) were reported.

http://www.fqsportechecs.info/accuei....php?article35

So (for example) there has been no secretary-treasurer for the last two years?

Comment

FQSE "organisation"

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
      According to the FQSE web page, there were four board members acclaimed in 2006 for two-year terms (Dénommée, Filion, Kosoian, and Roussel). Incidentally - Charles Filion has been in Argentina for almost a year - he had never heard anything from the FQSE since the day he was approached to be nominated to the Board.
      Even worse, or better, Kosoian and Roussel don't appear to ever have been CFC members; Filion's membership has expired, which seems reasonable, if he is out of the country.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of depth to the FQSE organisation.

Comment

Not sure what this is doing on a thread about the OCA executive.
        In any event, I hope no one takes any of this FQSE stuff seriously. It is a phantom organization to reflect the absence of the CFC from Quebec.

Comment

The FQSE is a farce.

Accepting Pierre wihin the CFC structure only showed how desperate the CFC was. Hopefully Chris will have better judgement and will consult with people who are in the know before leaping to these types of non-solutions...which inevitably also reflect badly on the National organization.

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
            Not sure what this is doing on a thread about the OCA executive.
            In any event, I hope no one takes any of this FQSE stuff seriously. It is a phantom organization to reflect the absence of the CFC from Quebec.
            In the 1970's when the meeting in Kingston to change the CFC model took place one of the objectives was to bring Quebec into the organization. After 35 years I don't know what part of them not being interested the CFC does no understand.

Personally, I have always thought FIDE should have been asked to give Quebec their own federation. It would also serve to provide a separate entity for title norm purposes. Players from Canada, Quebec and the U.S. would count as 3 federations.
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

The FQE approached FIDE in the 1980's about being recognized as a seperate federation. FIDE rejected their application, since it permitted to be members only sovereign nations, and groups with UN observer status (i.e. Palestine). Exceptions (e.g. England, Scotland, Hong Kong) were "grandfathered".

Comment

Was the FQE's application opposed by the CFC?

With Canada and the U.S. being such a large land mass and only two federations we're being screwed for title norms.

Fide has this cute little rule which plays against most of North America.

"Federations of opponents.

At least two federations other than that of the title applicant must be included, except for 1.43a-1.43e."

It's not that so few of our players are good enough. It's this kind of situation which is killing opportunities and interest in North America as opposed to interest in many European federations which have a higher per capita participation than we do.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Such huge land provides own zone with its advantage (norms).

Comment

Now there is a super quick answer and an interesting one! Thanks Egidijus! Maybe I will drop by and see what Brett and Ted are up to! Sounds very interesting!
                    Tony if you are reading this the "Chess Institute of Canada" has an amazing philosophy to "grow" chess. Basically its: Those who have learned to play chess should mentor others in the game. If everyone gave unselfishly imagine how the game would develop. But Ill let Ted Winick explain it better. As what he would say would be far better than I could ever explain. The Chess Institute of Canada is a teaching organization in Toronto that does a fantastic job of promoting chess at the grass roots level.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                      Such huge land provides own zone with its advantage (norms).
                      It's crumbs compared to what the European players with all the federations a short distance away provide the players. Who are the players who became GM's only on the norms they got in this zone?
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

There are Canadians who received IM titles in Zonals who are very near the low end of the spectrum regarding IM strength.
                        everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Separatism is not the ideal solution as the British experience has painfully demonstrated. The best option---and the least likely---would be for serious leadership on both sides to come together in one, well-run national federation. One can dream...

Comment

Congrats to the new exec...

Comment

Working...
                            X