• Show
Clear All

• Proposed Motions 2012- L & M - CFC Member Rights

Cooperative Chess Coalition ( CCC )

Position Paper # 5
    ( Revision # 1 – 11/10/19 )

CFC Level – CFC Member Rights/Motions

The Cooperative Chess Coalition

The Cooperative Chess Coalition ( CCC ) was formed in February 2011 and is composed of 14 members ( CFC members and past CFC members ), who endorse the position papers put out by the CCC. There are also 8 “ supporters “, who are persons who strongly support the goals of the CCC, but who for various reasons do not intend to take out full membership – they are not asked to endorse CCC position papers, but are invited to support them generally. CCC holds the following:

Our Motto – “ Competition OverTB; Cooperation OffTB “
    Our Goal - :” a kinder, gentler Canadian Chess Culture “

Want introductory CCC material - cooperativechesscoalition@gmail.com . Consider joining !

Bob, CCC Coordinator
    CCC Facebook Group Page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/co...hesscoalition/

Background - CCC Motions

CCC brings motions to the CFC Governors at their quarterly meetings, where we feel changes in legislation will enhance CFC member rights. We successfully brought motion 2011-K, as amended, to the 2011 CFC AGM to delete from the CFC Handbook a piece of legislation we considered member-unfriendly ( called “ Limitation of Rights “ ). Now we wish to bring motions to replace that deleted section. We invite your comments on these motions:

Motion 2012 – L – CFC Member Rights

Revision # 1 - 11/9/28

Moved – Bob Armstrong; Seconded – Fred McKim

( motion brought on behalf of the Cooperative Chess Coalition, a grassroots’ group of CFC members concerned with chess membership development and improving the operation of the CFC, and other chess organizations )

Moved – There shall be added to the CFC Handbook, Section 2, Bylaw # 1, as Para.14, the following:

MEMBER RIGHTS

14. ( 1 ) Any individual Member shall have a right to be heard on any matter pertaining to the affairs of the Federation, or his individual membership, or any situation where any individual member is aggrieved by any matter arising in the conduct of the affairs of the Federation, by approaching a CFC governor for assistance in presenting his submission, motion, etc. to the CFC AGM, Quarterly Meeting, or otherwise. No governor is obliged to agree to act on behalf of such member.

( 2 ) Any such complaints, suggestions, etc. of any individual Member shall be dealt with by the Federation Secretary replying in writing to any governor acting on behalf of such member, with copy to such individual Member.

( 3 ) As set out elsewhere in the Handbook, CFC members have the right as there set out, to elect their CFC governors.

Commentary:

The prior section 14 on membership limitations was considered antiquated, anti-member, and no longer relevant as between the CFC and the Provincial Affiliates. It used to read:

CFC Bylaw # 1

LIMITATION OF RIGHTS

14. No individual Member shall have any right to be heard on any matter pertaining to the affairs of the Federation, or his individual membership. Should any individual member be aggrieved by any matter arising in the conduct of the affairs of the Federation, his remedy shall be to bring the matter before his provincial organization, and if there be no Provincial Organization in the Province in which he resides, he may bring the matter to the attention of a Governor representing such Province. Any complaints or suggestions of any individual Member shall be sufficiently dealt with by the Federation Secretary, if he shall reply to such individual Member quoting this By-law.

It was deleted at the July, 2011 AGM, the motion having been initiated by the Cooperative Chess Coalition ( CCC ).

In place of a limitation of member rights, we are now substituting a positive statement of member rights. We do have a governor system, and they run the affairs of the CFC. But they are elected by and accountable to the CFC members. As such, the governors must make all reasonable efforts to assist members in their actions to influence the affairs of the CFC or to present grievances. This section merely puts into regulation, where it is protected, the existing practice in the CFC, of governors and executive informally assisting members with their issues brought to the governors. This may involve presenting briefs and submissions to governor meetings on behalf of members, or moving and seconding motions submitted by CFC members. However, governors are free to decide whether or not, in any individual instance, they will assist, and, if so, to what extent. This protects the CFC from frivolous member submissions. As well, they need not necessarily agree to the position of the member, in order to assist them to present their case.

Secondly, we also feel that a formal reply to members is important to confirm their issue has been formally dealt with by someone. Whomever has the authority to deal with the issue may correspond with the relevant governor, and member on an interim basis. But a formal reply should come directly from the Secretary to the governor involved, copy to the member. The person making the final decision shall confirm to the Secretary when the matter is finally dealt with and provide text for any final letter. This should not be that onerous on the Secretary, since there have been few member petitions over the years.

Lastly, in order to bring member rights into one section, the section also refers to the right to elect CFC governors, set out elsewhere in the Handbook.

Motion 2012 – M – CFC Member Motions

11/9/29

Moved – Bob Armstrong; Seconded – Fred McKim

( motion brought on behalf of the Cooperative Chess Coalition, a grassroots’ group of CFC members concerned with chess membership development and improving the operation of the CFC, and other chess organizations )

Moved – There shall be added to the CFC Handbook, Section 2, Bylaw # 1, as Para.14a, the following:

MEMBER RIGHTS

14a. Any individual member may bring a motion directly to the CFC governors, without governor assistance being required, if he has a member seconder, and endorsement of members totaling 5% of the total Adult and Life members. The total shall be based on the membership statistics issued May 1 by the CFC Secretary. Endorsing members must be 18 years of age or over, and there must be proof provided directly from the endorser to the CFC Secretary of each member’s endorsement of the motion.

Commentary:

Although working through governors is the preferred method of CFC member participation in the affairs of the CFC, the CFC members should have an absolute right to approach the CFC with a motion of their own accord, without having to plead for governor assistance, which may not be forthcoming, even if such situation indicates such motion may well be unsuccessful. So we have allowed a motion by a member, with a member seconder. The limitation is that the member bringing the motion must find some support among the membership, to the extent of 5 % of the total of the adult and life members. This is not felt to be onerous, and at the same time protects the CFC from a flood of frivolous member motions, which could grind CFC business to a halt. There will have to be direct proof to the CFC Secretary from each endorser of their support for the motion, to prevent fraudulent motions. This is modeled on shareholder rights in corporations.

This is a new significant member right, and allows members direct intervention, and the forcing of a governor vote on their concern, even where governors may initially be disposed against the motion. Governors will deal with issues of concern to a significant minority of CFC members, who consider their issue vital to the operation of the CFC.

Comments on these motions are welcome, before we file these motions.

Bob Armstrong, CCC Coordinator

Re: Proposed Motions 2012- L & M - CFC Member Rights

Just a question ( since there have been many views, but not one comment ):

Is anyone interested, other than CCC?

Bob, CCC Coordinator

Comment

Yes, I'm interested, Bob. The former limitations on members' rights were a cause of irritation for me since 2000, when I first became aware of what the Handbook contained. Thank you, to you and the CCC, for finally addressing the matter. I particularly like the fact that there may soon be a process in place whereby members can place their own motions before the governors.
      "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
      "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
      "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
        Just a question ( since there have been many views, but not one comment ):

Is anyone interested, other than CCC?

Bob, CCC Coordinator
        I guess an obvious question: "what wrong is the motion attempting to right?" - are there a number of CFC members who feel their rights are not being met?

I understand the philosophical point(s) but I strongly suspect that very few ordinary CFC members would have an interest in this matter.
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

There is a simple math problem inherent in M. If you can't find two Governors to sponsor a motion, the motion is destined to fail.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
            I guess an obvious question: "what wrong is the motion attempting to right?" - are there a number of CFC members who feel their rights are not being met?

I understand the philosophical point(s) but I strongly suspect that very few ordinary CFC members would have an interest in this matter.
            Kerry, you could argue that it's correcting a wrong waiting to happen. Even if it has never been abused by the CFC, there shouldn't be a constitutional limitation that prevents members from attempting to have legitimate grievances addressed.
            "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
            "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Members' Motions - Value?

Hi Ken:

You get an " A " in math. The motion will fail ( though not a 100% absolute projection - miracles happen even in politics - Tunisia, Egypt, Libya.... )

But an " F " in reform politics - the point of 2012-M is to allow members to force governors to debate something they do not want to , and to flush them out of the woodwork to take a position on something they are desperately avoiding. The hope of course is that at some point some one governor will pick up the cause, and start the active debate in the assembly, and put the members' position front and centre!

But yes, it will likely fail. But it will have been put on the radar for future.

Bob A

Comment

I think that is my math you are describing, Bob.

Comment

Hi Peter:

You've hit right on the head the fundamental weakness of the current CFC Handbook having NO section on MEMBERS' RIGHTS.

The Cooperative Chess Coalition ( CCC ) is concerned.

Bob, CCC Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                    Kerry, you could argue that it's correcting a wrong waiting to happen. Even if it has never been abused by the CFC, there shouldn't be a constitutional limitation that prevents members from attempting to have legitimate grievances addressed.
                    Yes, I agree with that; however, I also think that there are more important issues for the CFC to address. Unfortunately, all changes are forced through the Governors - there is no "omnibus" provision for "routine maintenance" (which is what I might classify such a procedural change as is proposed).

So, in this case: put it on the order paper and see where it goes. As Ken Craft pointed out elsewhere in this thread: if a motion cannot garner a seconder, it isn't worth talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                      Yes, I agree with that; however, I also think that there are more important issues for the CFC to address. ...
                      I hear you but this particular change has been over 11 years in the making...that's from the time I whined about it here at ChessTalk. There may have been others who whined about it before me.

ENOUGH ALREADY!!! CHANGE THE DAMNED CONSTITUTION, YOU SLAGGERS!!!

:D

Comment

I hear you but this particular change has been over 11 years in the making...that's from the time I whined about it here at ChessTalk. There may have been others who whined about it before me.

ENOUGH ALREADY!!! CHANGE THE DAMNED CONSTITUTION, YOU SLAGGERS!!!

:D
                        OK! If I was still a governor, I would second the motion - just so this thread could be closed... I wish I could do the same with the Climate Debate and the Occupy Some Street threads! :)

Comment

Re: Members' Motions - Value?

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                          the point of 2012-M is to allow members to force governors to debate something they do not want to...
                          How about a motion to force them to vote for what they don't want to vote for ? Don't you guys have nothing better to do ? :)

Comment

IMHO, if a member have a good cause, she would find a governor and a seconder to move a motion. (If it is bad, then governors would just ignore with NO)

Comment

The former limitations on members' rights were a cause of irritation for me since 2000, when I first became aware of what the Handbook contained.
                              What was your initial motion you wanted to submit as a member? :)

Comment

Working...
                              X