Time Controls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time Controls

I must admit that I am not up to speed with all the changes in chess time controls over the years.

But man ohhh man...I have known for decades how important time controls are for the tournament player.

I also know that the trend, set by FIDE is to go for faster time controls. I remember when I was a tournament player (yes in those days I had hair on the top of my head too :)...I played Jean Delva...a beautiful human being who was not only experienced but solid. I was just a youngster at the time...so I was in awe :).

Anyway, our game started at 4 p.m....and he kept me at the board past midnight (back then you could play until you drop :). According to what I have read after the FIDE meeting in Poland, there are only 6 time controls recognized by FIDE:

Taken from the USCF website:

"GregShahade wrote:
    Why can't we just use five second increment and therefore not have to worry about it, or is that not acceptable either? No idea why anyone insists on using delay instead of increment to begin with.

Currently there are only 6 approved time controls which have to be used with no deviation from them:

90 minutes with 30 seconds cumulative increment for each move starting from first move
    90 minutes for 40 moves + 30 minutes with 30 seconds cumulative increment for each move starting from the first move
    100 minutes for 40 moves followed by 50 minutes for 20 moves, then 15 minutes for the remaining moves with 30 seconds cumulative increment for each move starting from first move

40 moves in 2 hours followed by 30 minutes for the rest of the game
    40 moves in 2 hours followed by 60 minutes for the rest of the game "

Larry again:
    BTW, my game against Jean Delva finished in a draw (my memory is very good at forgetting my losses...probably why I never became a very good player :)

Larry

Re: Time Controls

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
    "GregShahade wrote:
    Why can't we just use five second increment and therefore not have to worry about it, or is that not acceptable either? No idea why anyone insists on using delay instead of increment to begin with.

Currently there are only 6 approved time controls which have to be used with no deviation from them:

90 minutes with 30 seconds cumulative increment for each move starting from first move
    90 minutes for 40 moves + 30 minutes with 30 seconds cumulative increment for each move starting from the first move
    100 minutes for 40 moves followed by 50 minutes for 20 moves, then 15 minutes for the remaining moves with 30 seconds cumulative increment for each move starting from first move

40 moves in 2 hours followed by 30 minutes for the rest of the game
    40 moves in 2 hours followed by 60 minutes for the rest of the game "
    Only partly true - these controls are required but only for norm/title events - for regular events any control is possible, subject to a minimum length based on the rating (e.g., 2 hours per player for those over 2200). Incidentally the sixth control is missing - "40 moves in 2 hours followed by 20 moves in 1 hour followed by 30 minutes for the rest of the game". As for games getting faster, yes, the FIDE president is still pushing for faster controls, but FIDE itself seems to have backed off the idea for serious events. 90 + 30 inc. was pretty standard some years ago, but FIDE now is heading for longer controls (note the others above). In fact, I believe I read that in a short time 90 + 30 will not be valid for norm events either.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Wright View Post
      Only partly true - these controls are required but only for norm/title events - for regular events any control is possible, subject to a minimum length based on the rating (e.g., 2 hours per player for those over 2200). Incidentally the sixth control is missing - "40 moves in 2 hours followed by 20 moves in 1 hour followed by 30 minutes for the rest of the game". As for games getting faster, yes, the FIDE president is still pushing for faster controls, but FIDE itself seems to have backed off the idea for serious events. 90 + 30 inc. was pretty standard some years ago, but FIDE now is heading for longer controls (note the others above). In fact, I believe I read that in a short time 90 + 30 will not be valid for norm events either.
      Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your excellent input!

Larry

Comment

I am getting so used to increments now, that I won't play in an event unless it uses them.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
          I am getting so used to increments now, that I won't play in an event unless it uses them.
          Hi Hugh,

For you, is there a real difference between increment and delay?

The clocks we had made for us in China many years ago have increment...some have complained...can you explain all this to me please :)

BTW...I like our clocks...despite the naysayers :)...in most cases (in my opinion) the problems are user instigated...ooops...me bad :)...we still have 600 clocks that we are liquidating at $29.95 each plus tax...
          H-CMAI... If you take 6 or more...only $27.95 plus tax. Free shipping.

Hmm I just went to our website...they are not there :(...send me an e-mail bevand@chess-math.org... a 1 year guarantee...but before you return them...call me...and I will tell you what you are doing wrong :)

Another aside...we sold over 20,000 of these clocks all over North America...we were first on the market (timing is everything) but yes the clocks of this generation are better :) by far.

Thanks,

Larry

Comment

Hi Larry, I might not be sure about this thread, but are you referring to the blue clocks that look like Saitek-3s? If yes, feel free to call me to discuss. We are a little sick in the household, so tomorrow morning would be better. Back to the blue clocks, the ones I have seen do not really do incrementation (30 seconds seems to be the new increment standard), but they do have delay options. These are different than incrementation, so when people bring the blue clocks to Ottawa events, they get used as analog clocks (equivalent time control over 60 moves, which seems to be the conversion standard).

Comment

Looking at the first few pages of USCF tournaments listed in the latest "Chess Life", only one (Pan-Am Intercollegiate) has any mention of increments or delays in its advertised time controls. All other events are 40/2 and G/1; G/90. G/75; etc.

(and I stick with the Chronos clocks - nothing matches them for durability, and the multitude of time control settings).

Delays don't allow you to accumulate time; increments do.

Comment

Working...
              X