New Proposed Rating System - Name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Proposed Rating System - Name?

Under another thread, I have posted the motion of PEI Governor and CFC Treasurer, Fred McKim, and myself, to combine the current CFC Active and Blitz rating systems, and expand them to cover Game/5 to Game/59.

We have proposed the name " Quick Chess " Rating System.

We have not used " Speed " Chess because it is so identified with Game/5 Blitz. We have not used " Rapid " Chess because it is clearly identified, particularly in Europe, with Game/25.

But some have proposed we use instead of " Quick Chess Rating System ", the name " Fast Chess Rating System ".

Which do you prefer? We have also included the names we have rejected. Please vote in our straw vote poll.

Thx.

Bob
    Quick Chess Rating System
    26.67%
    Fast Chess Rating System
    0.00%
    Speed Chess Rating System
    20.00%
    Rapid Chess Rating System
    0.00%
    None of the above
    53.33%

The poll is expired.

Re: New Proposed Rating System - Name?

Would be nice if those voting " none of the above " gave us a clue as to what name they prefer!

Bob

Comment

How about 'Bill'?
      "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
      "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
      "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Why not "Bob"?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
          Bob, it would be more fruitful to the whole active rating idea if the club organizers were interviewed personally.
          At least 10 clubs should show a wish to try the system.
          Right now you are going opposite way - let's build and see.

Comment

Name it for the movers in case it doesn't work. :)
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Hi Egis:

I think Fred and I are following the dictum: " build it, and they will come. "

Bob

Comment

Hi Egis:

I think Fred and I are following the dictum: " build it, and they will come. "

Bob
                I don't quite get the idea of blurring Blitz and Active ratings. They are rather different games. My slow chess rating is highest. My Active rating is generally lower. And I hate to think how low my Blitz rating would be. So I struggle to find a name for something that blurs categories.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
                  Why not "Bob"?
                  Hmm. It does have a catchy, palindromic ring to it. OK, I'm in. 'Bob' it is!!
                  "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                  "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                    Hmm. It does have a catchy, palindromic ring to it. OK, I'm in. 'Bob' it is!!
                    So now then when somebody drones on about their regular rating, you can simply reply, "what about Bob?"

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                      So now then when somebody drones on about their regular rating, you can simply reply, "what about Bob?"
                      Or:

1. If someone wants to play you blitz online you could say, "Let's Apple for Bobs."

2. If someone is so rating-obsessed that their rating is like a family member, you could say, "Bob's your uncle."

3. You could inform people that the Beach Boys enjoyed playing blitz: "Bob, Bob, Bob...Bob, Bobara Ann."

4. etc.

Comment

The Bob Chess Rating System - hmmmm - does have a nice ring to it.

Let me get back to my seconder!

Bob ( not the rating system )

Comment

I fear some of our poor voters are getting a bit confused.

Some seem to be voting against all the provided names, because....they are against the motion itself.

hmmm- we'll have to factor that in when we try to interpret the results.

Too bad I hadn't thought of putting in as a name " Bob Chess Rating System ".

Bob ( not the rating system )

Comment

I fear some of our poor voters are getting a bit confused.

Some seem to be voting against all the provided names, because....they are against the motion itself.
                            No Bob, you are misinterpreting the poll.

Maybe all the votes for "none of the above" are actually votes for the "Bob Chess Rating System". :D:D
                            Could be, at least that is how I cast my vote! :)
                            Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Wednesday, 26th October, 2011, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Going Ahead with Motion

Thanks to those who voted in our poll.

Since there were more votes for the name Quick Chess than Fast Chess, and since both are similar, my seconder, CFC Treasurer, and PEI CFC Governor, Fred McKim, and I, have decided to go with our preferential name, " Quick Chess ".

Though there were 8 votes for None of the Above, none of these voters provided a suitable alternate name ( though " Bob Chess Rating System " got a good run! ), so we can't do much with them, and can't guage any support for some alternate name not on the list.

We will now proceed to file our motion. If you have views on how you want your governors to vote on this at the 2012 Winter On-line Meeting ( early January ), let your local governor know.

Bob ( GTCL CFC Governor )

Comment

Working...
                              X