Chess Canada Newsletter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess Canada Newsletter

I have been a member of the CFC for the last few years and I have never received an access code to view the CFC newsletter. To be fair, I've never really tried to receive one, but I did give my email address when renewing my CFC membership, so I would think that it should be common practice to update the members database and send an email to new members to make sure they have access.

Anyway, I'm not trying to pin blame on anyone here, my main point is that this should not be an issue at all because the newsletter should be available for free on the public site. I mean, there are dozens of sites on the internet that publish free high quality chess content - sites publish it because it draws traffic to their sites and pushes sales. It would do the same for the CFC, attracting interest in chess and promoting memberships and tournament participation. It might conceivably also add a new revenue stream in the form of advertising.

If the point of the CFC is to bring benefit to members then it's 100% better to have this content public. Members will still have the same benefit from the articles whether access is public or private (in fact more, since there are some members now who still can't access the content), but having it available to the public will promote Canadian chess on the whole, thus benefiting all members.

Unless the CFC can show numbers indicating that people have bought memberships only to receive the newsletter, I honestly don't see a single argument in favour of having it be members only. I hope some of the CFC governors will take heed of my points and act accordingly.

Re: Chess Canada Newsletter

Originally posted by Patrick Kirby View Post
    I have been a member of the CFC for the last few years and I have never received an access code to view the CFC newsletter. To be fair, I've never really tried to receive one, but I did give my email address when renewing my CFC membership, so I would think that it should be common practice to update the members database and send an email to new members to make sure they have access.

Anyway, I'm not trying to pin blame on anyone here, my main point is that this should not be an issue at all because the newsletter should be available for free on the public site. I mean, there are dozens of sites on the internet that publish free high quality chess content - sites publish it because it draws traffic to their sites and pushes sales. It would do the same for the CFC, attracting interest in chess and promoting memberships and tournament participation. It might conceivably also add a new revenue stream in the form of advertising.

If the point of the CFC is to bring benefit to members then it's 100% better to have this content public. Members will still have the same benefit from the articles whether access is public or private (in fact more, since there are some members now who still can't access the content), but having it available to the public will promote Canadian chess on the whole, thus benefiting all members.

Unless the CFC can show numbers indicating that people have bought memberships only to receive the newsletter, I honestly don't see a single argument in favour of having it be members only. I hope some of the CFC governors will take heed of my points and act accordingly.
    Patrick: I would suggest you send your current e-mail address to info@chess.ca, and you will receive a pdf copy of the magazine monthly.

At the moment, the CCN is available only to CFC members. We put two issues per year on the website. It would be interesting to see if current CFC members would prefer the magazine be available to the general public or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
      Patrick: I would suggest you send your current e-mail address to info@chess.ca, and you will receive a pdf copy of the magazine monthly.

At the moment, the CCN is available only to CFC members. We put two issues per year on the website. It would be interesting to see if current CFC members would prefer the magazine be available to the general public or not.
      Thank you, I will send this email. But I still strongly believe that the content should be public. I would rather pay membership dues to support a site that promotes chess in Canada, instead of paying for the privilege of receiving an email magazine.

I'm sure a lot of people would support my opinion. Is there any way, as a member, that I can get this issue to be considered by the CFC directors?

Comment

Thank you, I will send this email. But I still strongly believe that the content should be public. I would rather pay membership dues to support a site that promotes chess in Canada, instead of paying for the privilege of receiving an email magazine.

I'm sure a lot of people would support my opinion. Is there any way, as a member, that I can get this issue to be considered by the CFC directors?
        Kevin Pacey is chair of the CFC Membership Drive Committee, we'll see if he'd like to bring this topic forward for discussion at the next Governor's meeting (January).

Comment

If the CFC has paying members, it has to provide them with something that the non-paying people do not have.

However some time ago I did suggest to the CFC to put its effort on publishing a free e-zine for general consumption, along with a longer, enlarged version for its members. To my mind a free version would have the potential to make the CFC grow, while the current CCN in its current format does not because it is designed strickly with the hardcore tournament player in mind and sent only to them.

It is unlikely that 10 page articles on the intricacies of 19th century openings would appeal much to a public of casual players, even if made available for free. So it is about offering freely something that is both appealing and not too costly.

Comment

Patrick: Gerry has confirmed that he has never received an e-mail address for you. I think organizers have to be a little more diligent on collecting this key piece of information from those getting memberships either for the first time or asking those who are renewing if they are getting the newsletter.

Comment

Hi Fred;

I think since most organizers use the Swiss Sys there is to my knowledge
              no place to add email addresses to the forms we send to the CFC when members join or renew their memberships at tournaments.
              Maybe the CFC should update their forms for taking memberships at tournaments or post them on the side for download so that all organizers / TD's get a full set of forms that must be filled out by all new members or renewing members.
              That way there would be less confusion.
              It might be a better idea for the CFC to look in their files and find out who does not have an email address contact information on file.
              I know of 2 members who do not have email addresses. So how do they get the newsletter they ask someone.

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
                I know of 2 members who do not have email addresses. So how do they get the newsletter they ask someone.
                If they don't have an email address, I presume they don't have access to a computer. If that is the case, how do they get the newsletter anyway? Does someone print it for them?? I can't imagine printing any of the recent ones - way too large and time consuming - especially on the usual crummy home printers.
                ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Do they have friends with computers? Library access?
                  (It is similar to say that they do not have a postal address - how they suppose to get a printed magazine.)

Comment

Hi Fred;

I think since most organizers use the Swiss Sys there is to my knowledge
                    no place to add email addresses to the forms we send to the CFC when members join or renew their memberships at tournaments.
                    Maybe the CFC should update their forms for taking memberships at tournaments or post them on the side for download so that all organizers / TD's get a full set of forms that must be filled out by all new members or renewing members.
                    That way there would be less confusion.
                    It might be a better idea for the CFC to look in their files and find out who does not have an email address contact information on file.
                    Gerry has never complained about me sending him membership details (including an e-mail address) just in an e-mail - it should be possible to do it up in a spreadsheet easy enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                      If the CFC has paying members, it has to provide them with something that the non-paying people do not have.

However some time ago I did suggest to the CFC to put its effort on publishing a free e-zine for general consumption, along with a longer, enlarged version for its members. To my mind a free version would have the potential to make the CFC grow, while the current CCN in its current format does not because it is designed strickly with the hardcore tournament player in mind and sent only to them.

It is unlikely that 10 page articles on the intricacies of 19th century openings would appeal much to a public of casual players, even if made available for free. So it is about offering freely something that is both appealing and not too costly.
                      This is also a worthwhile option (members' only section with some content available publically). And certainly it would be great to have public content that was of interest to casual players.

Comment

Hi Kerry;

They are both Seniors and don't have email addresses even though I wanted to set them up with one they are still not interested.

I guess they just ask someone to either print it or they read it from a download on another computer.
                        One right now is not a current member and has no reason to rejoin at this time even though I have tried to get him back into the game.

Comment

Hi Fred ;
                          I have never sent any email addresses to Gerry with my Tournament submissions. Except when a player has asked me to.
                          There is no way of doing it unless I manually give him the information.
                          I say that the CFC should set up some type of form that can be downloaded so all the Organizer or TD has to do is fill in the blanks and all is taken care of.

Some players are also reluctant to give out their email addresses as they are worried about all the spam mail they may receive.

If members are complaining they are not getting the Newsletter then maybe the CFC should see if they have email addresses for all their members.
                          Then try to obtain the ones that are missing.
                          Maybe that is a chore for Kevin Pacey to look into.

Comment

Hi Fred ;
                            I have never sent any email addresses to Gerry with my Tournament submissions. Except when a player has asked me to.
                            There is no way of doing it unless I manually give him the information.
                            I say that the CFC should set up some type of form that can be downloaded so all the Organizer or TD has to do is fill in the blanks and all is taken care of.

Some players are also reluctant to give out their email addresses as they are worried about all the spam mail they may receive.

If members are complaining they are not getting the Newsletter then maybe the CFC should see if they have email addresses for all their members.
                            Then try to obtain the ones that are missing.
                            Maybe that is a chore for Kevin Pacey to look into.
                            Hi John

I, besides other CFC Membership Drive committee members, received a list of ex-members names, email addresses etc. after requesting it from Gerry, by asking the CFC Prez first. Gerry would be in a better position than us to execute this 'chore' you spoke of, I suppose, if he had the time for it.

Lately, I've had a bit of a problem with my Microsoft Hotmail account being blocked from sending out emails. Microsoft seems to think my account is being used by a spammer, since I've sent over 80 messages to ex-members alone in the previous week. Their online 'help' seems pretty useless, unless a relative of mine makes sense of it next weekend. I'm thinking of trying to set up a Gmail account anyway, if my relative knows how to do it without us losing her Hotmail accounts in the process.

Remembering the curse afflicting the Chicago Cubs, and perceiving Microsoft as being even more worthy, I wished aloud that they speedily go bankrupt. I threw in overcharging banks, credit card and insurance companies, as well as telemarketing companies, Google and Bell Canada in the same breath. Makes me feel better than swearing. :)
                            Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
                            Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
                              Hi John

I, besides other CFC Membership Drive committee members, received a list of ex-members names, email addresses etc. after requesting it from Gerry, by asking the CFC Prez first. Gerry would be in a better position than us to execute this 'chore' you spoke of, I suppose, if he had the time for it.

Lately, I've had a bit of a problem with my Microsoft Hotmail account being blocked from sending out emails. Microsoft seems to think my account is being used by a spammer, since I've sent over 80 messages to ex-members alone in the previous week. Their online 'help' seems pretty useless, unless a relative of mine makes sense of it next weekend. I'm thinking of trying to set up a Gmail account anyway, if my relative knows how to do it without us losing her Hotmail accounts in the process.

Remembering the curse afflicting the Chicago Cubs, and perceiving Microsoft as being even more worthy, I wished aloud that they speedily go bankrupt. I threw in overcharging banks, credit card and insurance companies, as well as telemarketing companies, Google and Bell Canada in the same breath. Makes me feel better than swearing. :)
                              Gmail and Hotmail are not related, so you can set up a gmail account and spam away (I mean, send email to everyone and anyone).
                              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Working...
                              X