Another question - about Howard Ridout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another question - about Howard Ridout

I have been going though all of Papa's "stuff", and I just went through the booklet for the 1968 Canadian Chess Open (the 7th); as well as other places I keep seeing the name Howard Ridout.

I am curious because my husband was married to a Ridout - from East York! Just wondering if there is any relation. Is Howard still alive and around?

My husband first wife's name was Pegi and her fathers name was John Sterling Ridout. It's a small world so you never know!!!

Ramona
    Just Googled the name and see he passed away in 2003. Still wonder if there was any relation!
    Last edited by Ramona Strojevs; Monday, 31st October, 2011, 08:57 PM.

Re: Another question - about Howard Ridout

Howard Ridout's chess obit appears in the Feb 2004 issue of Chess Canada Echecs, page 10. AFAIR, files from that era were deleted, but I could scan it. The article lists descendants down to a great grand-daughter, but no Pegi (or Margaret). A "Jack", but no "John Sterling".

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
      Howard Ridout's chess obit appears in the Feb 2004 issue of Chess Canada Echecs, page 10. AFAIR, files from that era were deleted, but I could scan it. The article lists descendants down to a great grand-daughter, but no Pegi (or Margaret). A "Jack", but no "John Sterling".
      Isn't "Jack" a common nickname for "John"? My father was called "Jack" as long as I can remember, but his proper name was "John". Maybe that is a Scottish thing...
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
        Isn't "Jack" a common nickname for "John"?
        Yes. Just as Peg is a common nickname for Margaret. I guess I assumed that readers would know. Sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramona Strojevs View Post
          I have been going though all of Papa's "stuff", and I just went through the booklet for the 1968 Canadian Chess Open (the 7th); as well as other places I keep seeing the name Howard Ridout.

I am curious because my husband was married to a Ridout - from East York! Just wondering if there is any relation. Is Howard still alive and around?

My husband first wife's name was Pegi and her fathers name was John Sterling Ridout. It's a small world so you never know!!!

Ramona
          Just Googled the name and see he passed away in 2003. Still wonder if there was any relation!
          Ramona: The obituary for your father is now in CCN. Just go to chess.ca and click on the November Newsletter in the bottom right hand corner.

Comment

Does the CFC have a person or committee that acts as a liaison to the families of deceased former members? Perhaps it could be an idea to have a volunteer archivist or historian as a contact for looking up chess career results or donation of related trophies, equipment - with possibilities of linking to famous (inter)national (chess) museums or libraries on a CFC site contact page.

Since this CFC's generation is much more active (ie more populous, & more senior tournaments, etc) now than in past generations, it could be beneficial to see the CFC pages theirselves acknowledge the results of their club, city, regional provincial & national past champions.

Just in case the CFC office official, Mr. Litchfield, winds up with enough other CFC queries to deal with.

Comment

Yes, Peggy is often a short form for Margaret, but this gal's birth name is Pegi.

Ramona
              Last edited by Ramona Strojevs; Friday, 4th November, 2011, 05:23 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Kai G. Gauer View Post
                Does the CFC have a person or committee that acts as a liaison to the families of deceased former members? Perhaps it could be an idea to have a volunteer archivist or historian as a contact for looking up chess career results or donation of related trophies, equipment - with possibilities of linking to famous (inter)national (chess) museums or libraries on a CFC site contact page.

Since this CFC's generation is much more active (ie more populous, & more senior tournaments, etc) now than in past generations, it could be beneficial to see the CFC pages theirselves acknowledge the results of their club, city, regional provincial & national past champions.

Just in case the CFC office official, Mr. Litchfield, winds up with enough other CFC queries to deal with.
                Canadian Champions are listed at the CFC website. Check under History. David Cohen's site has a lengthy list of provincial champions.

Comment

Thank you Fred. I will print it out for Mum. She will be thrilled it's there.

Ramona

Comment

Working...
                  X