WFM Dina Kagramanov, Member Olympic Team
    WFM Irina Barron (Pending) , Member Olympic Team
    Ron Livshits, Coach Olympic Team
    David Lavin
    Egidijus Zeromskis

Information and updates: http://chess.ca/UmbraOlympiad.htm

Re: Umbra Olympian Chess Tournament And Fundraiser

Dear Chess Friends:

When was the last time you played Chess with almost the entire Canadian Olympic Team?

On November 9 you will have the opportunity to play a Blitz Tournament with GM Mark Bluvshtein , IM Nikolay Noritsyn, IM Igor Zugic, WIM Natalia Khoudgarian, WFM Hazel Smith, WFM Dina Kagramanov, WFM Irina Barron (Pending), Ron Livshits and countless others.

The UMBRA Olympian Chess Tournament + Fundraiser will be a day like no other, featuring Simuls, Lecture, Game Analysis, Free Refreshments and much more.

Thanks to your generosity and that of others, we have already paid for the Olympic Team’s airfare and registration fees. We now need to raise some additional funds for their trip, and this is an excellent way to have a great time, while supporting the National Chess Team.

Please register for the Blitz Tournament online at http://www.chess.ca/UmbraOlympiad.htm or by calling Gary Gladstone at 416-830-4313 and making an $80 charitable donation to the CFC.

You may rest assured that all funds raised will go directly to the Olympic Team as they do their best to “Go for the GOLD”

Please support the Canadian Chess Olympic Team by registering today and I look forward to seeing you on the 9th. All of the information is at the link.

Yours truly,

Gary Gladstone, CFRE
    CFC Governor

Comment

Check out the new Umbra Site with our event nice and prominent

http://www.umbra.com/ustore/index.do...cs_events.html

Brian Fiedler just registered, who is next?

Gary

Comment

Add Lawrence Day !

Comment

Updated Players List

Pre - Registered Players (as of October 28, 2008):

IM Nikolay Noritsyn, Member Olympic Team
          GM Mark Bluvshtein, Member Olympic Team
          IM Igor Zugic, Member Olympic Team
          WIM Natalia Khoudgarian, Member Olympic Team
          WFM Hazel Smith, Member Olympic Team
          David Lavin
          Egidijus Zeromskis
          Raja Panjwani
          Hans Jung
          Eddie Urquhart
          Lawrence Day
          Simon Gladstone
          Brian Fiedler

Register On Line at http://www.chess.ca/UmbraOlympiad.htm

Gary

Comment

Final Week Update Umbra Olympian Chess Tournament And Fundraiser

Thanks to everyone for your help and incredible assistance with this event. Based on casual conversations with many of you and others, I know that word has been spreading about the tournament and I'm sure we'll end up with a full house.

Good food, great place and of course, an incredible chess day.

The pre reg list is a bit short, but I know a lot more people are coming, and it'll be a great fund raiser and for that I thank everyone.

Confirmed players as of November 4 are

David Lavin
            Egidijus Zeromskis
            Raja Panjwani
            Hans Jung
            Eddie Urquhart
            Lawrence Day
            Simon Gladstone
            Brian Fiedler
            Ross Richardson
            FM Goran Milecivic

If you know you're coming, please post here or send me an email gary(at)gladstoneconsulting.ca

Gary

Comment

Shiyam Thavandiran just confirmed, who else is coming

Comment

Pre-Registered as of November 7

David Lavin
                Egidijus Zeromskis
                Raja Panjwani
                Hans Jung
                Eddie Urquhart
                Lawrence Day
                Simon Gladstone
                Brian Fiedler
                Ross Richardson
                FM Goran Milecivic
                Shiyam Thavandiran
                David Friedland
                Tom Friedland
                Lowell Berry - Brooker

P.S. Hal Bond will be coming as well and may even regale us with more of his tales in person, how about it Hal?

Gary

We have room for 60 in total for the Blitz Tournament. See you on Sunday

Comment

Re: Umbra Olympian Chess Tournament And Fundraiser - RECAP

What a day and I survived my first tournament.

I only did so, because I had great help from a great group of people and everyone wanted to have fun, and I think all did.

First and foremost, thanks to Umbra for providing a great venue, refreshments, prizes and an incredible staff who did everything they could to accommodate us.

Thanks to the approximately 100 people that ambled through the store all day because of Chess.

Thanks to the Chess Institute of Canada, Ted Winnick and Brett Campbell for all their incredible help in organizing the physical tournament and Jonathan for working Swiss Sys. Thanks to the OCA for the use of sets, clocks and boards. It was a great treat to have Hal Bond come and talk to us about his recent trip to Germany and the Anand – Kramnik match.

The lecture by Ron Livshits was well attended and the simuls were overflowing. GM Mark Bluvshtein and WIM Natalia Khoudgarian won all their games, while IM Igor Zugic lost one game to Simon Gladstone (do I sound like a proud father  ). IM Nikolay Noritsyn, WFM Hazel Smith, WFM Dina Kagramanov and WFM Irina Barron all participated in analysis and playing games with others. I would be remiss if I didn’t thank Geordie Derraugh and Erik Malmsten for their setup assistance, but the reality is, everyone deserves thanks because everyone pitched in; so sorry if I missed your name.

WE RAISED OVER $2,000 TODAY IN SUPPORT OF OUR OLYMPIC TEAM

It was great to see so many chess people having such a great time together in a non competitive atmosphere.

The Blitz Tournament had 36 players, we only played 5 rounds because of time, thanks for no complaints  and the clear winner was Shiyam Thavandiran.

Final standings will be posted shortly; thanks again to one and all.

Did I mention that CTV and Global both came, check the news tonight

Gary Gladstone

Comment

Several photos from the event:

http://www.kris-egis.com/egisphoto/t...s.php?album=15

Comment

Thanks Gary, Ted, Brett and Jonathan! and thankyou to Umbra for being so accommodating and fitting chess in so well between their display shelves! The mix of youngsters with their excited enthusiam and veteran masters and stars of Canadian chess went well. Im still smiling when I think of the glimpses of sportsmanship and character and personality of Mark and Igor and Shiyam and Nikolay and Dina. They were recently our top Canadian Youth (and some still are) and are excellent role models for our upcoming youngsters. Lawrence pulled out a Shaakmaatny Bulletin from 1981 from his bag and proceeded to play out his game from Grunfeld on the set with wobbly pawns. By the way guys, if you want the perfect Christmas gift check out the chess set with the vibrating pieces at Umbra. You can have alot of fun with the woman in your life and fill your household with joy or her household with joy!! I tried to upstage Lawrence by pulling out my pamphlet of Tbilisi 1965 with key games by Gurgenidze but Lawrence was to way to cool for that. Along came Paul Simon who managed to get Lawrence going and the endless questions about Bobby Fischer came up and Lawrence related his revelations of Duncan's visit with Bobby in Budapest - that would make for an excellent book for the public Lawrence - whatdaya think? Lawrence changed topic by asking Paul's student Reuben what he thought of the position on the board with the wobbly pieces and was rewarded by quite the look - and more importantly "what do you think Paul" - you had to have been there. I had stimulating conversations with alot of people - made some key introductions - there were alot of people there that were interested in doing more good work in chess. I had a good talk with David Lavin and support his outlook and was impressed that he is still a terrific speed player! Congratulions Bill and thank you for taking the opportunity to help Lawrence! A big thanks to Erik for his endless help on so many worthwhile chess projects! Thanks to Brian for a personal invite (again) to the magnificent Toronto Open at Easter 2009. I also really enjoyed the speed tournament and finally beating Goran (Toronto's former blitz king) at speed was a personal highlight! We need more excuses to organize grand reunions like this - it felt during the speed tournament like a brother and sisterhood of the Canadian chess community. Lets do it again sometime soon! Toronto needs more feel good events like this!

Comment

Re: Umbra Olympian Chess Tournament And Fundraiser - RECAP

Gary thanks for running the event I think Hazel enjoyed it and you might have achieved the almost impossible by getting her into her first ever blitz event. Despite her apprehension of getting smoked every game I think she did ok.

Comment

Photos

Here's a bunch more photos from Erik Malmsten

http://picasaweb.google.ca/garyglads...essTournament#

Gary

Comment

More Photos - Hope I'm not boring you

You are invited to view Sarah's photo album: Sarah umbra chess event

Chess Event Pictures!

http://picasaweb.google.ca/sarah.lam...ey=zkJj6Mqe4oc

Comment

Please delete
                              Last edited by Gary Gladstone; Friday, 14th November, 2008, 09:22 PM. Reason: dup message - please delete

Comment

Working...
                              X