X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rohan Talukdar on front page of the Saturday, Windsor Star

http://www.windsorstar.com/life/make...797/story.html

Also there is an accompanying video

http://www.windsorstar.com/ Link on bottom left.

Re: Rohan Talukdar on front page of the Saturday, Windsor Star

The reporter managed not to mention that there are FOUR players from Windsor going to WYCC ... 10% of the Canadian team. All four attend Vlad's Friday Knights chess study group.

We've managed to get the Star to send someone to our next WYCC training session (Saturday) to talk to the other kids.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
      The reporter managed not to mention that there are FOUR players from Windsor going to WYCC ... 10% of the Canadian team. All four attend Vlad's Friday Knights chess study group.

We've managed to get the Star to send someone to our next WYCC training session (Saturday) to talk to the other kids.
      He probably didn't mention it because he didn't know it. You can't expect an eight year old to remember all the talking points without a teleprompter. :) Still an excellent article and video.

Comment

Nothing wrong with an encore update John! Keep the prescious ink flowing!

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
          He probably didn't mention it because he didn't know it. You can't expect an eight year old to remember all the talking points without a teleprompter. :) Still an excellent article and video.
          "He" is the reporter (the person asking Rohan the questions...)

The board is set up wrong too...
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
            The board is set up wrong too...
            Not so, it is compulsory in media portrayals of chess that the board is set up with "black at the right". They teach it in journalism school.

Comment

Not so, it is compulsory in media portrayals of chess that the board is set up with "black at the right". They teach it in journalism school.
              hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaha :)

Comment

This was my view point as well.
                The article was about Rohan, and I'm sure the article was created because someone going to the fundraiser probably suggested it to the reporter.

The article wasn't about the Windsor chess scene (which would make a nice article), so we can't expect all things about the chess scene to be mentioned.

On Saturday there will be a chance to get the reporter to learn more about chess in Windsor. Maybe that will boost the number of kids interested in playing in the Chess Challenge next year. Who knows, maybe we'll end up with 20% of Canada's team next year :)

Comment

Originally posted by Denton Cockburn View Post
                  On Saturday there will be a chance to get the reporter to learn more about chess in Windsor. Maybe that will boost the number of kids interested in playing in the Chess Challenge next year.
                  Good grief, I hope not. I had to put up with so much whining when I cut it down by 20% last year... no way is it going to creep back up.

Comment

Good grief, I hope not. I had to put up with so much whining when I cut it down by 20% last year... no way is it going to creep back up.
                    I think you should introduce a qualifier round to weed out the kids that don't even know what checkmate is. Also should be able to determine what legal moves are, and perhaps even how to avoid the 4 move checkmate.

The qualifier could be at the school level (so just restrict how many kids a school is allowed). That would introduce more chess at the school level (as they'll have to have a tournament to get rid of some kids). That would in turn increase the prestige of those that make it.

Denton

Comment

We already restrict the number of players from any one school:
                      Most schools (up to 600 students): 18 players overall, not more than 8 per grade
                      Large schools (over 600 students): 26 players overall, not more than 8 per grade

We've always had maximums, ever since the beginning, when one school wanted to bring their entire chess club, 90 players! My suggestion to schools with a large chess club is that they have a tournament to select players.

I'm currently preparing the advertising and rules for 2012, it should be on the website by the end of next week.

Comment

We already restrict the number of players from any one school:
                        Most schools (up to 600 students): 18 players overall, not more than 8 per grade
                        Large schools (over 600 students): 26 players overall, not more than 8 per grade

We've always had maximums, ever since the beginning, when one school wanted to bring their entire chess club, 90 players! My suggestion to schools with a large chess club is that they have a tournament to select players.

I'm currently preparing the advertising and rules for 2012, it should be on the website by the end of next week.
                        Well there goes that idea.
                        I'm just remembering how many of the kids just needed basic chess work. I wish the club teachers knew more about how to teach these kids so that they'd be better prepared.

Comment

They just need to start teaching chess in the schools as a subject.

Comment

They just need to start teaching chess in the schools as a subject.
                            Can we lobby the school board to include it, even for 1 week, then let the chess club take it up.

It's sad, because I got into chess because a teacher decided to teach it to us in class (it was a special class, but that's beside the point). Considering my neighbourhood, if I hadn't learned it then, I probably never would have learned it.

There are probably a lot of potentially good chess players that aren't being introduced to the helpful game.

Denton

Comment

Working...
                            X