The draw...some very interesting discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The draw...some very interesting discussion

I have been away from this board for a few days as 3 staff members are sick in our Montreal office...(the common cold is such a demon...especially when your body is prepared for cold weather...and mother nature delivers beautiful days...day in and day out LOL)

...and I actually have to do some work these days :)

I think there are some very original ideas coming forward on this subject which I believe has to be addressed at some point by the chess community.

On the USCF site there are a number of very interesting articles. You will also find links to articles on other sites. Personally I was impressed. Take a look!

Click on the links too...think before responding :). Lots to devour here :)

http://main.uschess.org/content/view/11446/643/

http://main.uschess.org/content/view/11351/639/

Re: The draw...some very interesting discussion

I really enjoyed the Braunlich article. Very thought provoking! Wasn't he the first "World Pente Champion"?

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
      I really enjoyed the Braunlich article. Very thought provoking! Wasn't he the first "World Pente Champion"?
      The Braunlich article is flawed like many others, because it assumes the solving the problem of draws will end the problem of chess' lack of popularity with the general public. It will do nothing of the kind.

The general public is not staying away from chess because of draws. Do you really for a minute think that Bob and Sally, a non-chessplaying couple, when pondering what to do on a Saturday, and seeing a notice for a chess tournament with GMs and IMs and open to the public to watch, actually say to each other, "It sounds great.... but heck, half the games will probably end up draws"???

Draws only add to the much larger problems that chess has in terms of popularity with non-chessplayers.

I've expounded on these problems before and I won't go through them yet again. In about a year's time, Braunlich will wonder how he could have studied "creating and promoting games for the mass market" for over 20 years and yet have missed the fundamental flaws that hold chess back. About a year from now or less, there will be a new game in town. It will have extensive chess elements and will attract chessplayers, at least the non-purist ones. And most importantly: it will be exciting to watch, on TV or in person or online.

This game is in development as I speak and is my creation, based on my study of "creating and promoting games for the mass market". The work is going well, trials have been held, and gears are in motion. After a few years as my back-burner project, it is now coming to the forefront and is grabbing the attention of all who witness it.

I especially take exception to this rather thoughtless assertion by Braunlich:

"Many ... say that as a slow and thoughtful game, chess can't appeal to the general public and will always have a limited attraction. Therefore, reforms in tournament structures are pointless and we shouldn't bother trying to make formats more exciting. I think there is evidence that this opinion is at least unproven, and quite possibly just wrong. They used to think the same thing about poker until several critical reforms were made to present the similarly slow game, including the hole-card camera, post-tournament editing for TV, etc."

One should not be so trivial when comparing chess with poker. To call poker a "similarly slow game" is really missing the point. While a poker match can take as long as a chess match, a poker HAND is a mini-match that rarely takes more than a few minutes and multiplies the drama of a single chess move by at least two orders of magnitude... for the NON-PLAYER, that is. That is who we are talking about, and the one thing that stands out to me in these articles is how ignorant the authors are of the NON-PLAYER. These authors, usually chess players themselves, tend to characterize the general public as just like them. Well, it ain't so, and it's a fatal mistake to make when doing these kinds of studies.

Also, the reforms he mentions to poker presentation simply don't compare to the proposed reforms to chess tournament format the article talks about. The chess format reforms completely miss the target of what makes chess unpopular. Anything that makes a chess match even a minute longer than they are right now is a step in the wrong direction, and while he mentions tennis matches as being another long drawn-out affair, he conveniently fails to mention that tennis involves PHYSICAL ACTION and SPECTATOR INVOLVEMENT. The guy is unfortunately clueless. Chess involves spectator and gameplay restraints that are so onerous as to conclude that it will NEVER IN ITS PRESENT FORM EVEN IF DRAWS WERE SOLVED AS PER THE BRAUNLICH ARTICLE be popular with the general non-chessplaying public. I would actually bet good money on that.

Where's Gary Ruben with his $20? :D:D:D

P.S.: yes, I am biased, this new game I mention is my creation. It could end up a dud, and I would look silly. Will that happen? I'm betting considerable resources that no, that won't happen. But if it does, I'm going on the record now as blaming it all on the CFC. :D:D:D
      Only the rushing is heard...
      Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Unless the white pieces are winning to begin with, chess games if played very well will always end in draws. So, apart from quick draws without a real fight, what is the problem?

Chess will never be a spectator sport. It is not like hockey, tennis and other games where you do not have to be a player to enjoy watching. If you do not play chess, what would be the point of watching?

The only way to attract more spectators is to create more players.

Which is what CMA is doing. :)

Comment

In 1975, BBC produced "Master Game" chess TV show. If game ended in a draw, then replay was required with the change of colour. The first replay required 40 moves in 1 hour and additional 30 minutes for the rest of the game. The second replay 30 minutes per game, and third 15min/game.

The show was very popular because players (Karpov, Korchnoi, Miles, Larsen etc.) verbalised their plan and thought process. The show continued until 1979 when BBC employees went on strike. Episodes of the show now avalable on youtube.
          A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing

Comment

Working...
          X