Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another rest day in Bonn

Hi folks;

No doubt Kramnik was happy with a relatively peaceful draw yesterday. Despite his outward calm at the post game press conference (" Ok ,I am have lost a game, but it is still early in the match. I have been in this situation before") you can bet that Vladimir is not sparing the lash with his team on this "rest day" as they look to even the match with White tomorrow.

By all appearances Team Anand has prepared more effectively thus far, despite being outrated. At the opening press conference Anand was asked about the rumoured involvement of Magnus Carlsen on his team. Vishy acknowledged his respect for Carlsen, even speaking to him from time to time, but "Further details will not be forthcoming!"

We arbiters took a bus tour of Bonn and area today. It is just gorgeous. The landscape is slightly more dramatic that the Niagara escarpment, and perhaps slightly less so than the Gatineaus. The trees are very familiar - lots of maple, oak, chestnut and birch. What sets this town apart though is the architecture and layout. I love the pedestrian malls in the city centre - they out number the roads. The Rhine is not so wide, but quite deep and the barge traffic is constant in both directions. Somehow this does not detract from the visuals.

We have managed to inspect a different restaurant each night. So far we have enjoyed Thai, Greek, German, Turkish, Italian and French. Tonite it's either Mexican or Argentine. A fella could get used to this!

CFC President David Lavin (who deserves our full support!) has asked me to post on the CFC site, which I have done and will continue to do. But Larry is a long time friend and I try not to forget such things.

Gotta hit the gym before dinner. I have only made it there 3 times so far - enough to negate one morning at breakfast...

Re: Another rest day in Bonn

Hi Hal,

I appreciate you posting here! Keep us informed. Looks like you are having a great time.

Thanks!

I heard from André Langlois that he will be going to Dresden with Luc Deguire (Empressa). They are working on an exciting project for chess in Montreal..hopefully eveything will come together.

Larry

Comment

Hey Larry!

Yes, I heard that Andre and Luc would be in Dresden. I asked Makropoulous to take then seriously. Let's hope for great things!

Comment

And the souvenirs?

Hi Hal,

I was just checking out a website that had souvenirs from the World Championship. I must admit I was disappointed with the design...and when I looked at the prices...there is no doubt I will pass. I expected more from a country like Germany...

Is there a booth selling souvenirs...are people buying?

Larry

Comment

Re: And the souvenirs?

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
          Is there a booth selling souvenirs...are people buying?
          At least there are a booth (kiosk) selling books and chess equipment.
          check at chessbase.de: http://chessbase.de/nachrichten.asp?newsid=8281
          and more spec. the photo: http://chessbase.de/2008/bonn/partie5a/Dsc_2688.jpg

Comment

I must admit Larry, I have not spent much time at the large equipment stand which is in the same hall as the press conferences. We leave asap after the press conference, which we typically watch via broadcast in the playing hall.

Comment

"However, I would appreciate it if my words of wisdom, or lack thereof, were discussed, debated, and/or eviscerated on the forum on which they were posted.

If anyone wants my input on how to run a chess club -- which I did for many years -- you know where to find me."

- David Lavin replying to Tom O'Donnell, October 16th, 2008, 09:04 AM

"CFC President David Lavin (who deserves our full support!) has asked me to post on the CFC site, which I have done and will continue to do. But Larry is a long time friend and I try not to forget such things."

- Hal Bond reporting in a separate thread from D. Lavin, October 19th, 2008, 11:04 AM
              Do the above quotes imply that there remains some animosity at the CFC directed toward Larry Bevand and CMA? If there is, then the time to bury the hatchet is way, way past due.

If there is no such implication then please excuse me for overreacting.
              "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
              "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
              "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

at the very least it was rude.

Comment

brisk sales reported

Hi Larry;

I heard today that the book stall is doing quite well. All the Anand books are sold out. A full house today for game 8. Sunday's game is also sold out. Anand has white and now has 5.5...

Later!

Comment

Working...
                  X