Good luck to our Canadian reps at the 2011 WYCC!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good luck to our Canadian reps at the 2011 WYCC!

I know I have gotten some people upset with comments I have posted about the Canadian selection for the 2011 WYCC.

I simply do not agree with the CFC rules.

On the otherhand, I respect the CFC for following the rules that were in place when the selection was made...and I totally agree with this. Following the rules in place is essential. Congratulations to the CFC executive for not buckling to the pressure :)

Hopefully, better rules can be worked on for future events...that said, there is no doubt in my mind that what happened this year was much better than what we saw last year.

We are VERY fortunate to have some awesome folks involved with the 2011 Canadian team...all people I know well and for whom I have the utmost respect!

Head of Delegation - Andrew Giblon
    Assistant Head of Delegation - Gary Gladstone
    CFC Youth Co-ordinator - Patrick McDonald

Thank you for all your hard work!

Here are the 40 youngsters who will be representing us in Brazil in less than 2 weeks:

1 U- 08 Girls Taylor Zhang
    2 U- 08 Girls Jeannie Yiying Zhang
    3 U- 08 Open Sergey Noritsyn
    4 U- 08 Open Frank Wang
    5 U- 08 Open Rohan Shyam Talukdar
    6 U- 08 Open Luke Pulfer
    7 U- 10 Girls Constance Zhaoxing Wang
    8 U- 10 Girls Lily Zhou
    9 U- 10 Girls Varshini Paraparan
    10 U- 10 Open Yuanchen Zhang
    11 U- 10 Open Dinny Wang
    12 U- 12 Girls Melissa Giblon
    13 U- 12 Girls Dorsa Moayyed
    14 U- 12 Girls Rachel Tao
    15 U- 12 Girls Qiyu Zhou
    16 U- 12 Open Olivier Kenta Chiku-Ratte
    17 U- 12 Open Razvan Preotu
    18 U- 12 Open Michael Ji Yu Song
    19 U- 14 Girls Joanne Foote
    20 U- 14 Girls Louisa Qian Qian Hou
    21 U- 14 Girls Rebecca Giblon
    22 U- 14 Open Richard Wang
    23 U- 14 Open Bryant Yang
    24 U- 14 Open Yimang Yang
    25 U- 14 Open Mark Plotkin
    26 U- 14 Open Agastya Kalra
    27 U- 14 Open James Fu
    28 U- 16 Girls Chang Yun
    29 U- 16 Girls Kimia Moayyed
    30 U- 16 Girls Regina-Veronicka Kalaydina
    31 U- 16 Girls Myriam Roy
    32 U- 16 Girls Tina Fang
    33 U- 16 Open David Zhang
    34 U- 16 Open Simon Gladstone
    35 U- 16 Open Mikhail Ivanov
    36 U- 16 Open Nikita Gusev
    37 U- 16 Open Konstantin Semianiuk
    38 U- 18 Girls Yelizaveta Orlova
    39 U- 18 Girls Linda Fu
    40 U- 18 Open Loren Laceste

This info was taken from the Canadian WYCC Blog:

http://wycc2011canada.blogspot.com/

This was recently posted on the FIDE site:

"The World Youth Championships will take place at Caldas Novas, Brazil from November 17th to 27th 2011.

The Executive Board Meeting in Krakow considered whether the schedule for this year’s World Youth Championships should be amended. The change of venue from Rio de Janeiro to Caldas Novas has meant that there are only nine possible playing days. The inspection team recommended that the playing schedule be reduced to nine rounds with a double round day for the 3rd and 4th rounds followed by a rest day. This was accepted by the Executive Board.

Events such as the World Youth Championships are not only chess events but an opportunity for the participants and accompanying persons to experience the cultural side of the country that they are visiting. This is likely to be the first visit to Brazil by the majority. This is the reason that it was recommended to keep the free day that has been included in past events and is part of the regulations. A full programme of excursions will be offered to all participants on this free day and also for those interested on other days.

Caldas Novas is a resort town of hot springs with many hotels, at least six of which will be used for the Youth Championships. The town is a drive of just over 2 hours from the nearest airport, Goiania and about three hours drive from the capital, Brasilia. There are many flights each day to Goiania from such places as Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo. Brasilia has direct flight links with several countries, including the USA, Columbia, Peru and Portugal.

Participants will be met at the two main airports and transported to their hotel. All the hotels are within walking distance of the playing venue although there will be bus transportation for one hotel that is a little further away than the others. Five of the hotels belong to one group and offer free internet, full board plus swimming pools and free access to the local Water Park. The economy hotel is without these facilities and only offers breakfast."

GO CANADA GO!

Larry

Re: Good luck to our Canadian reps at the 2011 WYCC!

We just had a training/playing session with three of the four kids from Windsor going to WYCC with another Windsor Star photographer and reporter taking pictures and doing interviews. We added a new wrinkle of a one minute delay and forcing the kids to sit on their hands and think about the position before making a move. Mostly it seemed to work with the quality of the games amazing for children so young. We had to interrupt the games when the reporters arrived so that the children could share their thoughts but a very good day for Windsor chess and the Windsor chess kids who were there.

Afterwards, when the parents took the kids away we sat around and marvelled at the progress that is being made by the youngsters. It really makes you feel that your time in working with the children is being well spent.

Comment

I can only echo Larry's sentiments. From the Ottawa RA Club we have high hopes for Agastya Kalra and Qiyu Zhou who have warmed up by mowing down the opposition at the club. Best of luck to them and all the other Canadian representatives. We are honoured to have you carry the Canadian colours.

Comment

The Mississauga club is proud of our 3 representatives at the WYCC, Frank and Dinny Wang, and Yimang Yang. They are all graduates of our junior program who now play in our adult club.

We are also very proud of Razvan Preotu. Razvan was in our junior club years ago, but stood head and shoulders above his peers. He moved onto greater challenges helping his dad Rene start a new Burlington junior chess program.

I count a dozen of those 2011 WYCC kids who I have played at various tournaments over the last few years. I won't tell you how many of them beat me :o, but I can say they were all worthy opponents and gracious in either victory or defeat. Best of luck to them all.

Comment

The Scarborough CC also has a couple of its juniors and past juniors playing on this year's Canadian WYCC team - Taylor Zhang ( U 8 Girls ); Varshini Paraparan ( U 10 Girls ); and Yuanchen Zhang ( former member - U 10 Open ). We are also proud of them and their chess achievement.

Taylor and Varshini will be the beneficiaries of a new SCC Junior Development program just commenced at SCC - as members of the team, they will receive a free one-year renewal of their SCC membership, and SCC will pay for a one-year renewal of their CFC membership.

Good luck to them and the whole team!

Bob

Comment

I apologize that I missed on the list, SCC junior Michael Song, who will be in the U 12 Open category. He also will be awarded the SCC Junior Development Prize. Good luck and congratulations Michael.

Also, although Yuanchen Zhang's membership at SCC did expire on Sept. 11, and he will not be an SCC member at the time of the WYCC, the SCC executive have clarified that he will be awarded the prize as well, since he meets the criteria of being an SCC member at the start of the SCC 2011-2 season at the start of September. Congratulations Yuanchen and good luck.

Bob
            Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Thursday, 10th November, 2011, 02:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X