7th Canadian Open Chess Championship booklet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7th Canadian Open Chess Championship booklet

You may be aware that I received chess files and books of the A.Strojevs collection. One of the item is the "7th Canadian Open Chess Championship" (1968) booklet. It has an article High School chess written by Kerry Liles, a chesstalker (?) :) There are articles about a history of UoT Chess club and the Hart House ("which is for the use of men only") too.

As the booklet is not copyrighted I did a pdf version (email me or write your email to receive a 3 Mb copy).

The text version of the Kerry's article.

High School Chess
    by Kerry Liles

It is clear to every chessplayer and every organizer that the most important investment for the future is in junior players. The overall level of play in any given group of players is static unless there is a continuing supply of talented and energetic younger players. The events of the past two years in Metropolitan Toronto reflect this awareness and show what can be done with a little hard work.

Three years ago there were scattered throughout Toronto many high school chess clubs with a large number of developing players. What was lacking, however, was an organizing body — a group which would promote and establish co-ordination between these individual efforts. It was with this objective in mind that resulted in the formation of the Metropolitan Toronto High School Chess Association. This body was organized entirely by students and the printing and outfitting expenses of the organization were met using money from membership fees from the schools that joined.

The organization of the Association marked a significant point in the history of Toronto chess. In the first year of operation there were over seventy students present at the team and individual championship and these people represented approximately twenty-five schools. The second year saw an increase of 100%. Over one hundred and fifty students from fifty schools attended the 1967-1968 championship tournament. Each year the Association grows by leaps and bounds. The executives indicate that a 100% growth every year is not difficult to conceive.

The 1967-68 season marked the most productive year for the Association. In addition to the local events which have become traditional, this year the Toronto schools were host for the first Ontario-wide High School Chess Championship. This event has been the goal of Mr. John Reinbergs, the organizer of the Association and this year's president. Perhaps the most important result achieved this year was the affiliation of the Association with the Metropolitan Toronto Chess League, the CFC governing body in Toronto. This co-operative effort will ensure that Toronto will have an ever-increasing supply of new and we hope talented players who will have a knowledge of chess etiquette as well as ability.

It is of major importance that Canada develop her chess players into mature, international-calibre contestants. The only way to do this is to reach the youth. Canada's junior players hold the future of Canada's "Chess Renaissance" in their hands. It is the duty of all chess players to see that they are correctly guided.

Re: 7th Canadian Open Chess Championship booklet

The title page

Comment

As a participant in that tournament, I also got a copy of the tournament book (which I still have). Parts of the blitz tournament were filmed for a CBC special - my whole game with soon-to-be IM (if he wasn't one already) Bruce Amos was filmed, and most of it shown on the TV special. Unfortunately - I believe the original tapes were erased, overwritten, or otherwise lost.

The late Jules Therien (from Montreal, but originally from Quebec) attempted to set up a tent on the U of T lawn to save money on accommodation (for himself and a couple of others), but the authorities had other thoughts. (I stayed with Howard Streit at his "Aunt Ruth's" in the Beaches area of Toronto).

Comment

I played in that 1968 Can. Open too ( threw out my booklet about 8 months ago ) - I had played in the one in Kingston in 1966 as well. Then it was 38 years 'til I played in my next Can. Open in Kitchener in 2006!

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
          ( threw out my booklet about 8 months ago )
          The next time you'll throw something related with chess, let us know :)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
            I played in that 1968 Can. Open too ( threw out my booklet about 8 months ago ) - I had played in the one in Kingston in 1966 as well. Then it was 38 years 'til I played in my next Can. Open in Kitchener in 2006!

Bob
            I seem to recall playing in that one as well, and it was the only over the board Can. Open I ever played.
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Results of Chesstalk posters (and some other still active players) in the 1968 Canadian Open (first names aren't always given in the crosstable, so I'm not sure about someone like "Danilov" - George of Alex?):

5. Dobrich, Vlad/Walter: 8.5/11
              7. Day, Lawrence: 8.0/11
              31. Doubleday, Bill: 7.0/13
              65. Bokhout, Peter: 6.0/11
              68. Streit, Howard: 6.0/11
              (79. Strojevs, Alex: 5.5/11)
              80. Haley, Phil: 5.5/11
              85. Armstrong (from Sarnia - no first name given - is that you, Bob?): 5.5/11
              86. Ruben, Gary: 5.5/11
              116. Liles, K: 4.5/11
              139. Brodie, Hugh: 3.5/11

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                the crosstable
                A whole crosstable is at http://www3.telus.net/public/swright2/canop6870.html

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                  Results of Chesstalk posters (and some other still active players) in the 1968 Canadian Open (first names aren't always given in the crosstable, so I'm not sure about someone like "Danilov" - George of Alex?):

80. Haley, Phil: 5.5/11
                  85. Armstrong (from Sarnia - no first name given - is that you, Bob?): 5.5/11
                  Hi Hugh:

Yes the Armstrong listed is me - my hometown is Sarnia.

It is also a nice coincidence that Phil Haley's name comes up. His home town is Sarnia too, and he was living there at the time of the tournament ( he later moved to Toronto ). I met him in Sarnia when I had returned home for the summer after my first year at University of Western Ontario ( 1964-5 ). Always the gentleman, he had agreed to play at his home this young totally unknown player who had contacted him ( my father had seen an article on him in the local Sarnia Observer, and had told him I liked to play, and had been playing in the UWO Chess Club in the past year ). He was really my early mentor in how to play more sophisticated chess ( which I never really have conquered! ). We played often after that ( his wife Betty-June would always have sandwiches for us ) and became good friends, which has lasted to this day. Phil also took me down to a few weekend tournaments in Detroit, USA, just over the Sarnia Bluewater Bridge. It was Phil who encouraged me to play in my first Canadian Open in Kingston in 1966.

For those who don't know about Phil, he was New Brunswick Champion in 1944 ( or 5 - I couldn't find info on this, and am going from my faulty memory ), and played in the 1945 Canadian Closed. He is an International arbiter, was CFC President from 1971-3, and after that the CFC FIDE Representative for many years.

Bob
                  Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Sunday, 13th November, 2011, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                    Toronto's Vlad ( then Walter ) Dobrich and Denis Allan ( now of Hamilton ) tied for 2nd/6th in this 11 round one big swiss tournament ( 164 players ):

Toronto, August 24 - September 2 1968

............ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1

1 Larsen Denmark W131 W23 W13 W 6 D 4 W 8 W 3 W 2 W 7 W 9 W11 10.5
                    2 Popovych New York W58 W50 W85 W16 W24 D 4 W 5 L 1 L 3 W36 W18 8.5
                    3 Eberlein Rochester W64 W69 W56 D11 W144 W12 L1 W25 W 2 D 4 D 8 8.5
                    4 Rogoff Rochester W141 W96 W111 W29 D 1 D 2 W55 D 8 W11 D 3 D 7 8.5
                    5 Dobrich Toronto D68 W15 W84 W21 W11 D 7 L 2 W99 W52 D 8 W16 8.5
                    6 Allan Toronto W159 W149 W38 L 1 W62 L23 W33 D22 W73 W37 W13 8.5

Bob A

Comment

Hi Egis,
                      Can you send me also a copy? My email is casareno.erwin@gmail.com
                      Thanks a lot. I will keep it in my archives of chess materials.

Regards, Erwin

Comment

I didn't think they were breaking ties back then. Wasn't 5 1.2 simply a tie from 69th place to whatever?

I used to play between layoffs of months or years so my first few rounds were normally not very good. I recall missing the win in my game against Vaitonis and that was all she wrote for any chances I might have had for placings. I could play some terrible chess when decent placing were no longer in sight. I still have that ability. :)
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

You may be aware that I received chess files and books of the A.Strojevs collection. One of the item is the "7th Canadian Open Chess Championship" (1968) booklet. It has an article High School chess written by Kerry Liles, a chesstalker (?) :) There are articles about a history of UoT Chess club and the Hart House ("which is for the use of men only") too.

As the booklet is not copyrighted I did a pdf version (email me or write your email to receive a 3 Mb copy).

The text version of the Kerry's article.

High School Chess
                          by Kerry Liles

It is clear to every chessplayer and every organizer that the most important investment for the future is in junior players. The overall level of play in any given group of players is static unless there is a continuing supply of talented and energetic younger players. The events of the past two years in Metropolitan Toronto reflect this awareness and show what can be done with a little hard work.

Three years ago there were scattered throughout Toronto many high school chess clubs with a large number of developing players. What was lacking, however, was an organizing body — a group which would promote and establish co-ordination between these individual efforts. It was with this objective in mind that resulted in the formation of the Metropolitan Toronto High School Chess Association. This body was organized entirely by students and the printing and outfitting expenses of the organization were met using money from membership fees from the schools that joined.

The organization of the Association marked a significant point in the history of Toronto chess. In the first year of operation there were over seventy students present at the team and individual championship and these people represented approximately twenty-five schools. The second year saw an increase of 100%. Over one hundred and fifty students from fifty schools attended the 1967-1968 championship tournament. Each year the Association grows by leaps and bounds. The executives indicate that a 100% growth every year is not difficult to conceive.

The 1967-68 season marked the most productive year for the Association. In addition to the local events which have become traditional, this year the Toronto schools were host for the first Ontario-wide High School Chess Championship. This event has been the goal of Mr. John Reinbergs, the organizer of the Association and this year's president. Perhaps the most important result achieved this year was the affiliation of the Association with the Metropolitan Toronto Chess League, the CFC governing body in Toronto. This co-operative effort will ensure that Toronto will have an ever-increasing supply of new and we hope talented players who will have a knowledge of chess etiquette as well as ability.

It is of major importance that Canada develop her chess players into mature, international-calibre contestants. The only way to do this is to reach the youth. Canada's junior players hold the future of Canada's "Chess Renaissance" in their hands. It is the duty of all chess players to see that they are correctly guided.
                          Thanks for posting that! I would like a copy too - my email is:
                          kerryliles@rogers.com

I do recall losing a very long game to Zvonko Vranesic [round one]
                          (by prolonging what was clearly a lost ending,
                          I think I ruined his chances to do better and I have always regretted that...
                          I don't think I recovered from that long game either)
                          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Thank you for posting this and sharing my Papa's chess memorabilia with this group.

Ramona Strojevs
                            Last edited by Ramona Strojevs; Sunday, 13th November, 2011, 07:42 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Hi Egis,

I'd appreciate receiving the PDF file.
                              Thanks,
                              John Cordes <johncordes@gmail.com>

Comment

Working...
                              X