Interesting info on former Canadian tournament players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting info on former Canadian tournament players

Reading New in Chess in the section of letters from readers I discovered at the end of a letter pointing out omissions of Averbakh's Memoirs the query of why Averbakh didnt mention his trips to Australia and New Zealand because he influenced a whole generation of creative Australian players - a list including BOB KRSTIC (Australian Seniors Champion) and TERRY SHAW (top scorer at 1968 Lugano Olympics). Interesting what you read.

Re: Interesting info on former Canadian tournament players

Shaw played on all 9 Australian Olympiad teams from 1968-1984. He was in Canada in 1973, and played in a few tournaments in Montreal and Toronto.

Bob (Slobodan) Krstic - my database shows 2 of them:

1) Played on the Hong Kong Olympiad team in 1970 and 1972, and in a few European events until 2004.
    2) Played in Canada (Toronto) from 1969 to 1984, and then in Australia since 2002.

Could they be the same person?

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
      Shaw played on all 9 Australian Olympiad teams from 1968-1984. He was in Canada in 1973, and played in a few tournaments in Montreal and Toronto.

1) Played on the Hong Kong Olympiad team in 1970 and 1972, and in a few European events until 2004.
      2) Played in Canada (Toronto) from 1969 to 1984, and then in Australia since 2002.

It's a pretty common name from my part of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post

I played Bob Krstic (aka Slobodan Krstic) in 1971 (Toronto Closed). Yes, he's the same one who played for Hong Kong. He got teased about that a bit. He did win the Toronto Closed one year (but not in 1971).

I played Terrey (I believe I have the spelling right, there) Shaw at the 1982 Olympiad. Although the game ultimately wasn't very interesting, I was thinking about it (and team dynamics) just this afternoon. Funny coincidence.

Comment

On Alexandra Kosteniuk's site: www.chessblog.com if you scroll down a little ways you will see a pictorial article about the World Seniors Championship. In one of the pictures you see Bob Krstic on the left. Apparently the journey took 23 hours from Australia and Bob originally went to school in Rijeka. Looks like a very impressive event - and the organizers are going the extra mile.

Comment

I met Terrey Shaw in 1 very cold winter day around 1973. I was waiting at the corner of Yonge/St Clair in T.O. with 3 other chess players 1 possibly was Lawrence Day. Lawrence and (prob.) Terrey were playing at Humber College in the T.O. closed. It was brutal weather and Terrey's used vw had no heat!.
            he mentioned about how he was jealous that he had to work so hard to become a master and someone like Bobby Fisher just glided in to GM territory as a teen.

Comment

Working...
            X