Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Insider trading in congress

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
    Who is saying that America is the entire focus of evil in the world?
    That's the impression I get when America and only America is the focus of criticism. It's as if the rest of the world was fine and America is the only problem.

If you came from a large family but your parents only focused on your behaviour wouldn't you assume your parents thought all the other children were wonderful and you were the only problem child? Well okay other than your cousin Israel...

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
      Zeljko - you claim to be well read and knowledgable on the OWS movement, however every time you post, you appear to know nothing about it. OWS is a global movement, not just the USA. The 99% include all the middle class and poor worldwide. You criticize the american OWS youth for not focusing on poorer countries, but is it not wise for them to clean up corruption in their own backyard first? Saying that there are bigger problems elsewhere is not a legitimate excuse for not tackling a problem.
      I don't think people starving to death in the third world due to corruption can afford to wait for America to clean their own backyard first.

There you go again defining the movement based on wishful thinking. Occupy Wall Street, the name itself should tell you what the movement is about. Last time I checked Wall Street is in New York and is representative of the American financial system. You seem to have a disconnect from some pretty basic aspects of a movement you claim to understand and support.

Where is the Occupy movement in Russia against Russian corruption and oligarchs, where is the Occupy movement in China about their human rights violations or is everyone suitably intimidated after the shootings in Tianamen square? I have yet to hear any of the Occupy movement talk about problems in the developing world. I have yet to hear them talk about the dollar a day worker overseas. When they do I'll start supporting that. My guess is they don't want to contrast their own relative positions against the dollar a day person. That would make the Occupy protestors look like priveleged elites by comparison. I have yet to hear them suggest changes or reforms outside of the USA and Europe.

However, I hear nothing from the Occupy movement about the developing world or Russia or China. It's all America all the time. Even when Occupy Toronto is just a Canadian mini-me of the American movement. Odd considering that you have agreed that Canadian banks and Canadian banking regulation is not a problem in Canada. So if the movement in Canada is not about America what is it about?
      Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Friday, 25th November, 2011, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
        Martha Stewart's mistake was that she actually would have made money had she not tried to use insider trading. The drug that was not approved that caused her to dump the stock was actually approved later and the stock went up. I do believe you are invoking the old speeders excuse that if they can't pull everyone over who is speeding they don't have a right to pull over anyone. You're like the traffic cop pulling over the United States guy who is 5km/hr over the speed limit while other cars are going by at light speed.

Sharp lawyers can argue anything and everything under the sun.
        Martha Stewart was not convicted of insider trading but rather of lying to investigators.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
          Martha Stewart was not convicted of insider trading but rather of lying to investigators.
          Yes she lied to investigators to cover up her insider trading but yes you are correct. Although, if she had not insider traded she would have had no need to lie about it.

Comment

[QUOTE=Zeljko Kitich;45006] America by and large works and has saved the world in at least two world wars. [QUOTE]

Your grasp on world history is severely flawed. I don't recall a single world war where the US was the central player, unless you consider Vietnam and Iraq to be "world wars". The closest they came would be the cold war with USSR, which never played out.

Comment

[QUOTE=Duncan Smith;45026][QUOTE=Zeljko Kitich;45006] America by and large works and has saved the world in at least two world wars.

Your grasp on world history is severely flawed. I don't recall a single world war where the US was the central player, unless you consider Vietnam and Iraq to be "world wars". The closest they came would be the cold war with USSR, which never played out.
              Do World War One 1914 to 1918 and World War Two 1939 to 1945 ring any bells? Or did you think Britain was going to win WW2 on their own and reclaim Europe without any US material and military aid? Especially in light of the Nazi/Soviet non-agression pact. Do you know about Roosevelt's 'lend/lease' program? Or do you think the stalemate on the western front in World War One was somehow going to end itself before the Americans arrived?

Or are you just trying to be contrary because you have nothing better to do?

Here's a bonus round question: Allied supreme commander in Europe, later elected leader of his country after the war, was who and for double bonus points was from which country?
              Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Friday, 25th November, 2011, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
                I don't recall a single world war where the US was the central player, unless you consider Vietnam and Iraq to be "world wars". The closest they came would be the cold war with USSR, which never played out.
                You should study more about the WWII.

While the Cold War did not became a true-battle war, it burned enough resources of both (even the whole world) countries. Even now there is a military tension between the US and Russia.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                  You should study more about the WWII.

While the Cold War did not became a true-battle war, it burned enough resources of both (even the whole world) countries. Even now there is a military tension between the US and Russia.
                  I'm not a history expert but I was well educated at one point on WW2.

Anyone thinking the US was the central party in defeating Germany in WW2 is sadly mistaken and needs to do that research for themselves. Is there something about this topic that confuses you ? I think Canadian schools do ( did? ) some good coverage on the topic without the usual propoganda you get from some sources.

I just Googled estimated casualties and the US and UK had around 400k and Russia 8-10 million. That's just a surface check I'm sure with more in depth research it will be even more clear that the US was NOT the central party in the war, they were at best a partner with others in the latter half of the war
                  ( remember, they entered the war late ).

Do not reply arrogantly again suggesting I do research. If you must, reply with properly stated facts and statistics that support your theory. Otherwise, just shut the hell up.

Comment

[QUOTE=Zeljko Kitich;45029][QUOTE=Duncan Smith;45026]
                    America by and large works and has saved the world in at least two world wars.

Do World War One 1914 to 1918 and World War Two 1939 to 1945 ring any bells? Or did you think Britain was going to win WW2 on their own and reclaim Europe without any US material and military aid? Especially in light of the Nazi/Soviet non-agression pact. Do you know about Roosevelt's 'lend/lease' program? Or do you think the stalemate on the western front in World War One was somehow going to end itself before the Americans arrived?

Or are you just trying to be contrary because you have nothing better to do?

Here's a bonus round question: Allied supreme commander in Europe, later elected leader of his country after the war, was who and for double bonus points was from which country?
                    I only wish you were more knowledgeable about these wars perhaps you wouldn't post half truths that are frankly insulting to the other Allies in the war. This seems to be your habit, you overstep your knowledge on a topic and fail to do proper research ( its incomplete at best ).

Comment

[QUOTE=Duncan Smith;45042][QUOTE=Zeljko Kitich;45029]

I only wish you were more knowledgeable about these wars perhaps you wouldn't post half truths that are frankly insulting to the other Allies in the war. This seems to be your habit, you overstep your knowledge on a topic and fail to do proper research ( its incomplete at best ).
                      Really, half truths? Is this your British and Canadian heritage and some misguided hyper-patriotism making you blind to the role the US played in those wars? The US did not play a central role in WW1 & WW2? Do you even believe what you say?

Duncan, I care not a whit for your assessment. I'll leave the assessment of my knowledge to my history professors at Ryerson University. You have this tendency to have shall we say an overinflated view of the importance of your ability to heap negative criticism on those around you. So for the record I am not a chess organizer and thus I don't need to be concerned with your opinion. I'm not running a tournament, I don't need your entry fee and I therefore don't need to make you happy.
                      Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Friday, 25th November, 2011, 04:18 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Zeljko Kitich;45043][QUOTE=Duncan Smith;45042]

Really, half truths? Is this your British and Canadian heritage and some misguided hyper-patriotism making you blind to the role the US played in those wars? The US did not play a central role in WW1 & WW2? Do you even believe what you say?

Duncan, I care not a whit for your assessment. I'll leave the assessment of my knowledge to my history professors at Ryerson University.
                        I sincerely doubt many people care much about your opinion on this topic. However, it is important for some of us to speak up and counter your half truths. Knowing that the true position rarely discovers prominance on Chess Talk, I don't really care what final "conclusions" are made on this site.

I would add that given your consistant political leaning towards police states ( remember your idea of flooding the subways with cops ? ),
                        it is not surprising to see you love today's USA.
                        Last edited by Duncan Smith; Friday, 25th November, 2011, 04:27 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Duncan Smith;45044][QUOTE=Zeljko Kitich;45043]

I sincerely doubt many people care much about your opinion on this topic. However, it is important for some of us to speak up and counter your half truths. Knowing that the true position rarely discovers prominance on Chess Talk, I don't really care what final "conclusions" are made on this site.
                          Duncan, I told you, I'm not running a tournament; I don't need to butter you up or try to keep you from flying off the handle at me. I have no need to try to understand your need for attention or what vehement demand you are going to make next. I could care less. I haven't taken your entry fee so you can't go around hyper-criticizing me for taking your money and not delivering the goods.

Your ridiculous statement that the US was not central to either world war speaks for itself. If you think that's the truth then by all means make sure everyone knows it. I'm sure they will be very grateful to you for making sure they have the correct facts. :D:D

At this point I assume you are making wildly inaccurate statements just to force a confrontation. Much like you make wild accusations about tournament conditions to lambaste organizers. You're the kind of customer that brings his own fly to the restaurant to drop in the soup just so you can complain that there's a fly in your soup.
                          Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Friday, 25th November, 2011, 04:32 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Zeljko Kitich;45045][QUOTE=Duncan Smith;45044]

Duncan, I told you, I'm not running a tournament; I don't need to butter you up or try to keep you from flying off the handle at me. I have no need to try to understand your need for attention or what vehement demand you are going to make next. I could care less. I haven't taken your entry fee so you can't go around hyper-criticizing me for taking your money and not delivering the goods.

Your ridiculous statement that the US was not central to either world war speaks for itself. If you think that's the truth then by all means make sure everyone knows it. I'm sure they will be very grateful to you for making sure they have the correct facts. :D:D

At this point I assume you are making wildly inaccurate statements just to force a confrontation. Much like you make wild accusations about tournament conditions to lambaste organizers. You're the kind of customer that brings his own fly to the restaurant to drop in the soup just so you can complain that there's a fly in your soup.
                            Again, it is important to address the half truths that you posted on this thread due to no instigation at all from myself. That is all buddy. I have no interest in your overly emotional bs.

I would add making spurious claims about my "wildly inaccurate statements" is slanderous and possibly subject to legal claim. Cease and desist, you've been warned. I have zero tolerance for this kind of online bs anymore.

Comment

I just Googled estimated casualties and the US and UK had around 400k and Russia 8-10 million.
                              with properly stated facts and statistics that support your theory
                              The casualties are not the main reason to be in the center. The US civilians were lucky to be far far away from the main battle fields (e.g., the Siege of Leningrad, Hiroshima/Dresden bombings)
                              As for military - it is like playing chess - one may sacrifices on left and right, while other simple overplays the opponent and then mates him.

The history is written by victors:
                              • Germany surrendered to the US and the SU;
                              • Japan capitulated to the US.

Comment

[QUOTE=Duncan Smith;45047][QUOTE=Zeljko Kitich;45045]

Again, it is important to address the half truths that you posted on this thread due to no instigation at all from myself. That is all buddy. I have no interest in your overly emotional bs.

I would add making spurious claims about my "wildly inaccurate statements" is slanderous and possibly subject to legal claim. Cease and desist, you've been warned. I have zero tolerance for this kind of online bs anymore.
                                Please Duncan, please, please sue me. I would love to take on your meglomaniac personality and test my knowledge of history in a court of law. Making up outrageus lies denying the role of US veterans in WW1 & WW2 is not something I'm prepared to just let stand. There are lots of witnesses I could call to court from the chess community as to your propensity to say any lie you think will get an argument started. All I seem to have done to cross you is post my opinion without your prior approval or instigation as you put it.

Come on Duncan sue me, you know you want to. Tell me what I can say to make you sue me and I'll gladly do it. Draw your line in the sand and I'll cross it. Let's see your zero tolerance in action.

That's your idea of histoical research looking things up on google. FYI, the current Russian casualty figures are estimated by historians to be about 20 million. All you've managed to prove is that WW1 & WW2 were not fought in America but by America. Well done, you have managed to google and find out what every grade 8 student already knows.
                                Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Friday, 25th November, 2011, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X