An interesting study on obsessive compulsive behaviour of a chessplayer...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An interesting study on obsessive compulsive behaviour of a chessplayer...

I posted a message to an unnamed chesstalker this morning. He responded, and then proceeded to edit his message a total of ten times (at least, I probably missed some edits) over the next 50 minutes or so. If you scroll through the edits, you can see what was changed (highlighted in red). He continued posting during the day in an attempt to dominate the board and proceeded to insult many others, some of whom threathened him with lawsuits. I asked him how many times he edited and he went silent for a while, when pressed he refused to answer the question. I am glad that he did not answer, better than lying.

The question I now have is this: Does chess attract people who are obsessive-compulsive or do people become obsessive-compulsive after devoting a lot of time to chess at the expense of social activities, i.e. having a life...I would like to open this discussion about chessplayers in general versus this one individual...I left chess because I became dissatisfied with many of the characters in the community, and I would never encourage my kids to take the game up seriously. No wonder the CFC can never get its act together....

Conclusion: You can NEVER win an argument with a chap like this, they just try to exhaust you with their posts so do not even try. Clearly, this person is a perfectionist who thinks that they are the best thing since sliced bread. Ten edits of a simple post, they clearly have nothing better to do with their time. They reject outright the opinion of anyone else, and have no social skills or moral conscience. Of course I spend the time to do this so I am also somewhat culpable regarding the topic of this post. Do chess players really have to analyze everything to death?

9:59 (post by me)
    What is your goal in life? It is obviously not to learn, but to be bitter and put other people down...good luck with that; it will never work with me...

For the record, I am not an activist, never have been. I am a scientist, and amazed at the lack of scientific knowledge in our society. Even more amazed by the thinking of your ilk. By the way, do you know what ozone is?

You strike me as being a 9 to 5 office type guy, just do what you are told and keep your head down. Creativity for you is wondering what color shirt to wear in the morning. Or what to have for lunch...

10:05 am (initial reply)
    Really? Are you finally using that engineering degree? In a paid job? Good on you.

I don't remember this debate being about ozone (O3). You seem to be interjecting a new topic here.

I wasn't aware that I had an ilk. I am continually amazed at the lack of people skills of people who purport to be scientists.

Tell me does your engineering degree make you an expert on the financial system. Because I'm continually amazed at the lack of financial literacy and understanding of our financial and tax systems. However, that just means more work for me. Perhaps you can tell me all about section 84.1 of the Income Tax Act and I'll tell you all about our friend the ozone layer.

10:08 (edit 1)
    Really? Are you finally using that engineering degree? In a paid job? Good on you.

I don't remember this debate being about ozone (O3). You seem to be interjecting a new topic here.

I wasn't aware that I had an ilk. I am continually amazed at the lack of people skills of people who purport to be scientists.

Tell me does your engineering degree make you an expert on the financial system. Because I'm continually amazed at the lack of financial literacy and understanding of our financial and tax systems. However, that just means more work for me. Perhaps you can tell me all about section 84.1 of the Income Tax Act and I'll tell you all about our friend the ozone layer. Or heck let me make it easier for you - explain to me the principle and methods of the integration of the taxation of corporate and personal taxes in Canada. What are it's aims and how is it carried out?

10:09 (edit 2)

Tell me does your engineering degree make you an expert on the financial system. Because I'm continually amazed at the lack of financial literacy and understanding of our financial and tax systems. However, that just means more work for me. Perhaps you can tell me all about section 84.1 of the Income Tax Act and I'll tell you all about our friend the ozone layer. Or heck let me make it easier for you - explain to me the principle and methods of the integration of the taxation of corporate and personal income in Canada. What are it's aims and how is it carried out?

10:11 (edit 3)

I don't remember this debate being about ozone (O3). You seem to be interjecting a new topic here. I'm perfectly happy to leave the gas issues to you. I don't claim to know everything about everything.

Tell me does your engineering degree make you an expert on the financial system. Because I'm continually amazed at the lack of financial literacy and understanding of our financial and tax systems. However, that just means more work for me. Perhaps you can tell me all about section 84.1 of the Income Tax Act and I'll tell you all about our friend the ozone layer. Or heck let me make it easier for you - explain to me the principle and methods of the integration of the taxation of corporate and personal income in Canada. What are it's aims and how is it carried out?

10:15 (edit 4)

My goal in life? That's something I would discuss with family and friends. Are you talking to me or to a stereotype of your own invention?

I don't remember this debate being about ozone (O3). You seem to be interjecting a new topic here. I'm perfectly happy to leave the gas issues to you. I don't claim to know everything about everything.

Re: An interesting study on obsessive compulsive behaviour of a chessplayer...

10:18 (edit 5)

My goal in life? That's something I would discuss with family and friends. Are you talking to me or to a stereotype of your own invention? Bitter and putting down? You mean like your shot about my working 9 to 5 (which I don't as I'm a full time university student) or about how I dress myself or how I decide what to have for lunch? Actually I am rather looking forward to doing just that in France soon; lunch in Paris oh my.

10:20 (edit 6)

My goal in life? That's something I would discuss with family and friends. Are you talking to me or to a stereotype of your own invention? Bitter and putting down? You mean like your shot about my working 9 to 5 (which I don't as I'm a full time university student) or about how I dress myself or how I decide what to have for lunch? Actually I am rather looking forward to doing just that in France soon; lunch in Paris oh my.

Because perhaps I should remind you that Wall Street is a financial system not an elemental gas. I think I've spotted the problem in your basic approach right there.

10:22 (edit 7)

My goal in life? That's something I would discuss with family and friends. Are you talking to me or to a stereotype of your own invention? Bitter and putting down? You mean like your shot about my working 9 to 5 (which I don't as I'm a full time university student) or about how I dress myself or how I decide what to have for lunch? Actually I am rather looking forward to doing just that in France soon; lunch in Paris oh my. Yeah, keep my head down, that's why I used to be on the executive of the largest union in Hamilton.

Because perhaps I should remind you that Wall Street is a financial system not an elemental gas. I think I've spotted the problem in your basic approach right there.

10:30 (edit 8)

My goal in life? That's something I would discuss with family and friends. Are you talking to me or to a stereotype of your own invention? Bitter and putting down? You mean like your shot about my working 9 to 5 (which I don't as I'm a full time university student) or about how I dress myself or how I decide what to have for lunch? Actually I am rather looking forward to doing just that in France soon; lunch in Paris oh my. Yeah, keep my head down, that's why I used to be on the executive of the largest union in Hamilton.

Or wait is this all just because I found your jokes lame?

10:32 (edit 9)

Or wait is this all just because I found your jokes lame? I apologize then, they were actually hillarious.

Comment

10:34 (edit 10)

I wasn't aware that I had an ilk. I am continually amazed at the lack of people skills of people who purport to be scientists. By the way, when did you stop referring to yourself as an engineer?

Or wait is this all just because I found your jokes lame? I apologize then, they were actually hillarious.

10:44 (post by me)
      Have you finished editing, so that I can respond. How many times did you edit this?

10:48 (edit 11, no change except to add edit reason to "okay done now?")

I wasn't aware that I had an ilk. I am continually amazed at the lack of people skills of people who purport to be scientists. By the way, when did you stop referring to yourself as an engineer?

10:48
      You can respond whenever you like. I know you are just chomping at the bit waiting for my latest point to attack. As for me I'm going out into the real world now to buy a white shirt and decide what I want at McDonald's for lunch.

10:49 (post by me)
      How many times did you edit?

Comment

Seen a mirror lately?

Comment

Très amusant as the French would say :):)

hardly scientific though
          Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Saturday, 26th November, 2011, 03:37 PM. Reason: my poor French language skills

Comment

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
            tres amusements as the French would say :):)

hardly scientific though
            Quick! Edit your post to read "Très amusant as the French would say :) :)" before anyone can see your mistake.

Comment

Personally, I think you should give it a rest, Paul. The appearance is you're becoming too easily annoyed.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Rouleau View Post
                Quick! Edit your post to read "Très amusant as the French would say :) :)" before anyone can see your mistake.
                I love chesstalk. :D
                "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                  I love chesstalk. :D
                  You do have to wonder how much Paul is charging this unnamed chesstalker for renting a permanent space in Paul's head; by the month or a one time lifetime fee?

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                    Personally, I think you should give it a rest, Paul. The appearance is you're becoming too easily annoyed.
                    I find this whole thread and several others that Paul is involved in rather amusing.

For someone who doesn't seem to like chessplayers much, he sure seems to spend a lot of time trying to convince us of his great wisdom and yet it seems that every time he opens his mouth (figuratively) to pontificate he just takes the opportunity to change feet.

Comment

This is incredibly bizarre. Why are you going on about people with no life and all that and then spending your time doing this? Who's going to read all this? I'd rather spend my time reading hair gel labels. For example:

"Create outrageous chopped-up spikes."
                      "Sculpt messes-up tufts of hair in every directions."

Who the hell wrote this? I think that now we can appreciate the merits of editing something over and over.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucas Davies View Post
                        This is incredibly bizarre. Why are you going on about people with no life and all that and then spending your time doing this? Who's going to read all this? I'd rather spend my time reading hair gel labels. For example:

"Create outrageous chopped-up spikes."
                        "Sculpt messes-up tufts of hair in every directions."

Who the hell wrote this? I think that now we can appreciate the merits of editing something over and over.

I believe Mr. Beckwith uses those hair gel products.

Not because he's wanting to look any particular way, you understand. It's just that he feels the need to have his hair hardened to protect his incredible brain from the sky falling down on it.
                        Only the rushing is heard...
                        Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Comment

I read up to conclusion and then I skimmed the next couple of essays. It was not the best 2 minutes spent
                            Shameless self-promotion on display here
                            http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Working...
                            X