Re: Boys thrown out of school for playing in World Youth

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
    Does this sound like a familiar story?

http://www.susanpolgar.blogspot.com/...r-playing.html

Only one of many interesting points:
    "The school had strongly communicated its position to the boys' father,
    Ignatius Willathgamuwa, before the family left for Brazil."

another lose-lose situation.
    The article says it's a private school which enforces strict attendance rules.

We shouldn't try to judge the education system of other nations with our own system, such as it is.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

A well-placed lawsuit might do wonders. Some of the best education takes place outside of the school walls.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
        A well-placed lawsuit might do wonders....s.
        why would you think that? A private school and they boys do not meet the criteria for admission. Cut and dried.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
          The article says it's a private school which enforces strict attendance rules.

We shouldn't try to judge the education system of other nations with our own system, such as it is.
          My point was that this situation is eerily similar to the refusal of the CFC to allow Dora to attend the WYCC ... if you replace "school" with "CFC"

This thread was not at all related to "education" or the "right to attend private school" or any other admittedly interesting topics.
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

I know someone who was kicked out of OAC English for competing in the Olympics because they missed too many classes. And that would be the real Olympics, not the chess Olympiad.
            Christopher Mallon
            FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
              A well-placed lawsuit might do wonders. Some of the best education takes place outside of the school walls.
              ...A lawsuit for what?

Comment

Kerry Liles stole my opportunity to raise the obvious comparison ...

Does this sound like a familiar story?

http://www.susanpolgar.blogspot.com/...r-playing.html

Only one of many interesting points:
                "The school had strongly communicated its position to the boys' father,
                Ignatius Willathgamuwa, before the family left for Brazil."

another lose-lose situation.
                perhaps not so obvious to some :)

My point was that this situation is eerily similar to the refusal of the CFC to allow Dora to attend the WYCC ... if you replace "school" with "CFC"
                ... so I'll bring up another.

How about Yuanling (yes, the Yuanling of CITL fame) getting barred from the SCC club championship last year (and she was the defending champion) because her decision to represent Canada that year left her short of the requisite minimum number of club games?

Yet another example (within chess itself) where bureaucratic policy implementation trumps supporting young chess players. In either case the question is glaring: how can we expect Canadian tax payers to support our young talent when we ourselves do not?

Long may our young players train and develop with the dedicated support of parents and coaches - in blissful ignorance of the harsh outside realities that Mark Bluvshtein confirmed this year, and in spite of the bureaucratic narrow-mindedness within the Canadian chess training system (such as it is) not only by the federal government in its arbitrary definition of sport, but even as it occassionally overtakes national organizations like the CFC and local clubs like SCC!
                Marcus Wilker
                Annex Chess Club
                Toronto, Ontario

Comment

Originally posted by Marcus Wilker View Post
                  ....How about Yuanling (yes, the Yuanling of CITL fame) getting barred from the SCC club championship last year (and she was the defending champion) because her decision to represent Canada that year left her short of the requisite minimum number of club games?.....

Yet another example (within chess itself) where bureaucratic policy implementation trumps supporting young chess players. In either case the question is glaring: how can we expect Canadian tax payers to support our young talent when we ourselves do not?
                  Hi Marcus:

I am not on the executive of the SCC, so I may have to be corrected on this.

To my knowledge, although Yuanling Yuan was technically disqualified from the SCC Club Championship this year, because of the activity rule, the executive made an exception because of her international play, and offered her the chance to play. Unfortunately, for a number of reasons, she declined and was unable to defend her title.

So I think this is an example of how chess administration can do things right! Rules are to be followed, but there are cases where legitimate exceptions are in order.

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                    Hi Marcus:

I am not on the executive of the SCC, so I may have to be corrected on this.

To my knowledge, although Yuanling Yuan was technically disqualified from the SCC Club Championship this year, because of the activity rule, the executive made an exception because of her international play, and offered her the chance to play. Unfortunately, for a number of reasons, she declined and was unable to defend her title.

So I think this is an example of how chess administration can do things right! Rules are to be followed, but there are cases where legitimate exceptions are in order.

Bob A
                    Thanks, Bob. I'm glad to stand corrected.

In that case, I guess it's the "harsh realities without" rather than the "bureaucratic narrow-mindedness within" that are keeping her from playing.

Indeed, she gave similar reasons for declining to participate in the Toronto Women's Championship - which Liza Orlova stands to win (half a point ahead of Dalia Kagramanov) if she can beat Jennifer Ugodnikov this Monday night.
                    Last edited by Marcus Wilker; Saturday, 3rd December, 2011, 01:57 PM. Reason: expanded answer
                    Marcus Wilker
                    Annex Chess Club
                    Toronto, Ontario

Comment

In that case, I guess it's the "harsh realities without" rather than the "bureaucratic narrow-mindedness within" ...
                      I directed correpondence chess for the International Correspondence Chess Federation for close to a decade. Players from all over the world. The rules are the "harsh realities". I didn't make exceptions. Once an offical makes an exception he doesn't have a rule. He has a price. The price can be a sad story, a tear, or cold hard cash. The result is still different treatment for different people.

The "harsh reality" of chess is that so many good chess players are cash poor and have to take the hard road and so many patsers are backed with money and travel the easy road which leads to not much.
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

How about Yuanling (yes, the Yuanling of CITL fame) getting barred from the SCC club championship last year (and she was the defending champion) because her decision to represent Canada that year left her short of the requisite minimum number of club games?

To clarify, Yuanling Yuan was not barred from last year's club championship. When it became obvious that our activity rule was going to have the unintended consequence of blocking Yuanling from playing, the club executive acted immediately to modify the activity rule to recognize play representing Canada as meeting our activity requirements. When the activity rule was made, we did not foresee situations where players like Yuanling would have to miss club play because they were taking the opportunity to represent Canada.

The activity rule was put in place to ensure that the club championship remains an event for club members who are invested in the success of the club. It was never intended to discourage our club members from representing Canada internationally. As it turned out, Yuanling graciously turned down the opportunity to play in the 2010-2011 SCC championship.

Blocking Yuanling from playing in the club championship would have been totally against the spirit and intent of the our activity rule. This was not as Gary alludes to above, a case of special treatment for an individual. It is a case where the club executive recognized that there were dimensions to the activity rule that simply were not properly taken into account. Any play by any member of the club representing Canada counts as club activity as it should.

As a club, we are always proud to see our members represent Canada on the world stage. In the past as now, we make a point of acknowledging and celebrating the accomplishments of club members.

This year the SCC has gone further in our support of talented club members by offering an award (1 year SCC membership plus 1 year CFC membership extension) to players who represent Canada at the WYCC. For 2011, we're proud to recognize the accomplishments of Taylor Zhang (U08 girls), Varshini Paraparan (U10 girls), Yuanchen Zhang (U10 open) and Michael Song (U12 open) by presenting to them the inaugural SCC WYCC Award.

Steve Karpik
                        Secretary, Scarborough Chess Club
                        Last edited by Steve Karpik; Sunday, 4th December, 2011, 01:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Karpik View Post
                          To clarify, Yuanling Yuan was not barred from last year's club championship. .... Yuanling graciously turned down the opportunity to play in the 2010-2011 SCC championship. ... This was not ... a case of special treatment for an individual. It is a case where the club executive recognized that there were dimensions to the activity rule that simply were not properly taken into account. ...

This year the SCC has gone further ... by offering an award (1 year SCC membership plus 1 year CFC membership extension) to players who represent Canada at the WYCC. ...
                          Taylor Zhang (U08 girls),
                          Varshini Paraparan (U10 girls),
                          Yuanchen Zhang (U10 open) and
                          Michael Song (U12 open) ...
                          Once again, I'm delighted to have been misinformed on this, and to learn the actual state of affairs. (In my defence, I had heard something initially from a couple SCC members about Yuanling's not being eligible for the championship, and I later misinterpreted Bob Armstrong's News and Views references to her being "unable to play" in the event.) My apologies to SCC - and congratulations to all your fine club representatives at the 2011 WYCC!
                          Marcus Wilker
                          Annex Chess Club
                          Toronto, Ontario

Comment

Working...
                          X