Why are fake names permitted on this board?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are fake names permitted on this board?

Dear moderators -

How are these "fake" user names slipping through your grasps - e.g. "Mouse Trap" (and others).

Re: Why are fake names permitted on this board?

I echo Hugh's comments. IMHO, there is an insidiously high risk with anonymous posting.

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
      I echo Hugh's comments. IMHO, there is an insidiously high risk with anonymous posting.
      I agree also, LOL.

We have been told by Lunarpages that we have a problem. A couple of Chesstalkers have indicated that we have an older version and that we have to update our site.

I have asked Chris Mallon if I could have full moderator access to the site...he has told me that I have this...however, perhaps because of my limited knowledge...when I try to do things...I keep getting messages from Lunarpages saying that I have to get permission to access certain moderator features from the head administrator (Chris Mallon).

With regards to new members, what we did on our end (at Chess'n Math) was to simply change the path so that it would be difficult for new members to register...until the problem was solved....then about a month or two ago I asked Christian at CMA to take that block off...hence we have the present situation...the simple solution is to change the registration path again until Chris addresses this situation...

Chris is in the driver seat here...maybe he can enlighten us...

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
        I agree also, LOL.

We have been told by Lunarpages that we have a problem. A couple of Chesstalkers have indicated that we have an older version and that we have to update our site.

I have asked Chris Mallon if I could have full moderator access to the site...he has told me that I have this...however, perhaps because of my limited knowledge...when I try to do things...I keep getting messages from Lunarpages saying that I have to get permission to access certain moderator features from the head administrator (Chris Mallon).

With regards to new members, what we did on our end (at Chess'n Math) was to simply change the path so that it would be difficult for new members to register...until the problem was solved....then about a month or two ago I asked Christian at CMA to take that block off...hence we have the present situation...the simple solution is to change the registration path again until Chris addresses this situation...

Chris is in the driver seat here...maybe he can enlighten us...

Larry
        I'm not sure what Lunarpages has to say on it, perhaps you can forward one of their emails to me. If they are saying you need to upgrade vBulletin, then you and I should have a chat about that - they can actually disable the site if they feel you are running a vulnerable script despite warnings. If it's something else, that's another issue.

The solution to the registration issue may be to go back to the "old way" - members can register but they are "moderated" and then an administrator or super-moderator can go in the admin control panel and approve or delete them every once in a while. The spam accounts are usually pretty obvious. Alternatively, upgrading to vBulletin 4 may make it more difficult for the bots to register.
        Christopher Mallon
        FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Another spammer just hit the boards - "HwardHward".

Get rid of him please.

Comment

Working...
          X