Queen to Play (La Joueuse)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Queen to Play (La Joueuse)

I have just watched an absolutely delightful film with a chess theme. It stars Kevin Kline and the remarkable french actress, Sandrine Bonnaire. The plot is fairly simple involving a cleaning lady in Corsica who wants more from life and finds it in competitive chess. I was tipped to it by friends in Halifax who do not play the game---it is a universal story.
    Particularly enjoyable for a chess player is that they actually get the chess right! If you follow closely some of the brief scenes involving actual play, it is absolutely correct and appropriate, a pleasant change from the lazy slobs in Hollywood and New York who seem to take a delight in getting it wrong. From the supplementary material (I saw it on dvd) I gather they had support and guidance from the Corsican Chess Federation which has 4000 active members out of a population of 250,000---CFC to note.
    Highly recommended. Five stars.
    Gordon
    P.S. It is mainly in French but with very good English subtitles. The only error I spotted was "j4" for "g4".

Re: Queen to Play (La Joueuse)

Thanks for the tip, Gordon!

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
      I have just watched an absolutely delightful film with a chess theme. It stars Kevin Kline and the remarkable french actress, Sandrine Bonnaire. The plot is fairly simple involving a cleaning lady in Corsica who wants more from life and finds it in competitive chess. I was tipped to it by friends in Halifax who do not play the game---it is a universal story.
      Particularly enjoyable for a chess player is that they actually get the chess right! If you follow closely some of the brief scenes involving actual play, it is absolutely correct and appropriate, a pleasant change from the lazy slobs in Hollywood and New York who seem to take a delight in getting it wrong. From the supplementary material (I saw it on dvd) I gather they had support and guidance from the Corsican Chess Federation which has 4000 active members out of a population of 250,000---CFC to note.
      Highly recommended. Five stars.
      Gordon
      P.S. It is mainly in French but with very good English subtitles. The only error I spotted was "j4" for "g4".
      When I was in Cannes in 2010 I attended a special presention when the movie was introduced by among others French federation president Jean-Claude Moingt which was personally involved in the making of (which explains why the chess is right) and the author (a woman whose name i don't remember) of the novel on which the movie is based on. That was an enjoyable evening. I saw the movie again lately at home with my girlfriend and my 9 year old son. They both enjoyed it as much as I did. Since then my son has had a renewed interest for the game...

Comment

I liked it, too. Jean Sasseville recommended it on the Parlons Echecs side:

http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/showthread.php?t=4612
        Marcus Wilker
        Annex Chess Club
        Toronto, Ontario

Comment

Working...
        X