King Henry VIII played chess ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King Henry VIII played chess ...

:) Near the end of last night's episode of "The Tudors", a series I really enjoy, King Henry VIII of England has just learned that his new wife Anne Boleyn gave birth to a baby daughter, who was christened Princess Elizabeth (later Queen Elizabeth I). This was in the year 1533. He had wanted a son as heir, and had divorced his first wife Catherine of Aragon, primarily over her inability to produce a male heir, leading to a split with the Catholic Church of Rome, which refused to grant the divorce.

King Henry was perhaps annoyed at the new baby's gender, and when a lovely lady Eleanor is brought to his quarters, he decides to seek out a little 'extracurricular activity'. He begins by asking her if she plays chess! "Of course!", Lady Eleanor answers. The scene then shifts to the bedroom, where Henry plants his rook on the young lady's 'gluteus maximus', announcing that as his first move!

Unfortunately, the viewers didn't get to see how the game progressed from there!

Re: King Henry VIII played chess ...

I'm guessing King Henry mated Lady Eleanor.

Comment

Four centuries ago, and longer, chess was a courtly game in which there may have been a higher percentage of women players, at the highest level for THAT time, than there are now. For all we know, Henry might have got his ass kicked.
      Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

What the hell even is this?

Comment

What is this?

Originally posted by Lucas Davies View Post
          What the hell even is this?
          It's chess in film and TV, or something like that, courtesy of Frank Dixon. With some naughty bits. Skip over the parts you don't understand.
          Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Working...
          X