Merry Christmas from Mississauga Chess Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merry Christmas from Mississauga Chess Club

All the kids and adults of the Mississauga Chess Club would like to wish all the chess enthusiasts across Canada a Merry Christmas. We had our final club night for the year last night. We will open again on Jan. 5, 2012.

We had 104 kids last night. We have some group pictures, but obviously we could not get everyone in the same shot. More will be on our website in the coming days as members and parents are encouraged to send in pictures to Vince.

Does everyone like our new t shirts?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Friday, 9th December, 2011, 11:53 AM.

Re: Merry Christmas from Mississauga Chess Club

We had our annual meeting (AGM) last night and I want to thank all those for attending.

The main topic was how to attract more adult members.

Membership head count is:

Juniors 135
    Adults 32

So to bolster the adult attendance in 2012, we will be,

1. We will adding a third adults only room. This will allow the adult club to get tournaments underway promptly at 8pm.
    2. Adults can come early for skittles and socializing without the mayhem of the juniors.
    3. More emphasis on longer 90 minute tournament games.
    4. More entry fee and prize fund tournaments. These are optional, meaning that only those wishing to play for the money are required to pay the entry fee.
    5. More CFC rated tournaments. This will be optional, meaning that only those wishing their games to be CFC rated are required to be CFC members.

These changes are in response to our valued adult members from whom we appreciate their constructive suggestions.

We are looking forward to even greater numbers of adults and juniors in 2012. Come join us.
    Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Friday, 9th December, 2011, 12:09 PM.

Comment

I assume you will be doing a CFC membership drive amongst your Mississauga club members who may not be CFC members already?

Comment

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
        I assume you will be doing a CFC membership drive amongst your Mississauga club members who may not be CFC members already?
        Why would you assume that?

There are a number of adult members who are not CFC members (and in some cases do not intend to become CFC members). Conversely, there are a number of juniors who are already CFC members (3 current junior members participated in the recently concluded WYCC in Brazil) but a large portion of the Junior members are not CFC members.

All of the members know about the CFC (and CMA for that matter) and joining is up to them - the Mississauga Club does not require CFC membership (unlike the Scarborough CC if I understand correctly). C'est la vie.
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post

There are a number of adult members who are not CFC members (and in some cases do not intend to become CFC members). Conversely, there are a number of juniors who are already CFC members (3 current junior members participated in the recently concluded WYCC in Brazil) but a large portion of the Junior members are not CFC members.

All of the members know about the CFC (and CMA for that matter) and joining is up to them - the Mississauga Club does not require CFC membership (unlike the Scarborough CC if I understand correctly). C'est la vie.
          I would assume that because Bob took the time and trouble recently to ask me on Chesstalk if I wanted to renew my CFC membership, after looking up that it had expired. Therefore knowing him to be a CFC booster actively encouraging people to sign up and being a past CFC president I assume he tries to get everyone to join the CFC.
          Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Friday, 9th December, 2011, 02:06 PM. Reason: an unnamed Chesstalker may be lurking

Comment

... Festivus, Kwanzaa, Chanukkah, Solstice, Ukrainian Christmas (they all occur during those familiar holidays in late December / early January), Occupus, Teadious ....

Ramadan (Ramazan in Turkish) occurs on a lunar cycle. In 2011, it was mostly in August. Tet (January 23, 2012) and Chinese New Year (same day in 2012) still happen when we Canadians expect to see white stuff, on the ground.

Comment

....I assume he tries to get everyone to join the CFC.
              not so, the CFC is not for everyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hrLj8QEAgI

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post

not so, the CFC is not for everyone.
                Indeed! I used to be a CFC member. Then I got some formal education and saw the errors of my ways. So I stopped renewing. :)
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                  Indeed! I used to be a CFC member. Then I got some formal education and saw the errors of my ways. So I stopped renewing. :)
                  Never miss an opportunity, eh Gary.
                  My comment was not intended as criticism of the CFC. IMHO, CFC membership is more relevant to those serious OTB tournament players and those wishing to support organized chess in Canada. We should not be trying to force CFC membership on those that just wish the occasional friendly casual game at the club.

Comment

My comment was not intended as criticism of the CFC.
                    If I'd let an opening like that pass my fan club would have been disappointed in me. :)

You do know a person can support chess in Canada by sending a donation to the Canadian Correspondence Chess Association or buying books and equipment from Larry and CMA.

Speaking of memberships, there's something I was wondering about reading the posts today. When a person buys a life membership, is it a membership in the CFC or is it a membership in the Chess Foundation which sends money to the CFC yearly to pay for the membership?
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

My comment was not intended as criticism of the CFC. IMHO, CFC membership is more relevant to those serious OTB tournament players and those wishing to support organized chess in Canada. We should not be trying to force CFC membership on those that just wish the occasional friendly casual game at the club.
                      Trying to force? Asking someone to join or renew after you check and find their membership expired as you asked me is not forcing anyone. Heck I don't even belong to your club and you managed to raise the issue with me - how much easier with the people at your club. There are lots of creative ways to have a membership drive that does not involve applying undue force upon any chess players - incentives like a game analyzed against a master, a pizza night etc. I know you are not shy about asking so I don't see the harm in you asking more than just me to renew.
                      Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Saturday, 10th December, 2011, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Merry Christmas for everybody!

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post

Exactly! It would only be logical to go after the life members first. :)
                          "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                          "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                          "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Trying to force? Asking someone to join or renew after you check and find their membership expired as you asked me is not forcing anyone. Heck I don't even belong to your club and you managed to raise the issue with me - how much easier with the people at your club. There are lots of creative ways to have a membership drive that does not involve applying undue force upon any chess players - incentives like a game analyzed against a master, a pizza night etc. I know you are not shy about asking so I don't see the harm in you asking more than just me to renew.
                            I just read this thread and totally shocked. I completely agree with you Zeljko. This was low and outrageous!

Maybe he has something against you or thinks he is better then you. Who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by Mikhail Egorov View Post
                              I just read this thread and totally shocked. I completely agree with you Zeljko. This was low and outrageous!

Maybe he has something against you or thinks he is better then you. Who knows?
                              I think you're misunderstanding. I was fine with Bob going out of his way to ask about my expired membership. I was also thinking that since Bob is an important chess organizer in the area that this boded well for CFC membership for example at the Mississauga club. However, I am a little disappointed to hear that Bob doesn't have any intention to encourage CFC membership at the Mississauga club. My assumption that he would based on my experience seems to have been premature.

Comment

Working...
                              X