• Show
Clear All

• Tournaments in Australia

Tournaments in Australia

2012 Australian Junior Chess Championships - here

O2C Doeberl Cup 2012 - here

Sydney International Chess Open - here

2012 Bill Powell Open - here
    Last edited by Joan Albert Dalmas; Thursday, 15th December, 2011, 12:14 PM.

Re: Tournaments in Australia

Also note that major Australian cities have very active chess clubs that welcome visitors. For example, the Melbourne CC owns its own building, and is open 7 days a week. http://www.melbournechessclub.org/

The Box Hill CC (also in Melbourne): http://www.boxhillchess.org.au/

Comment

I went to visit the Melbourne Chess Club a couple of years ago, near Christmas time. There was hardly anybody there, though I understand that they hold weekly tournaments and there is some casual play daily (I played blitz with a gentleman who seemed to be a club official; I would estimate his rating to be 2100-2200). The place itself was very spacious and I liked it a lot. A fairly short walk to the downtown trams.
      "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

I visited both Melbourne clubs, and there were good numbers of players (30-40) in each (however - there were scheduled tournaments going on, but the MCC had about a dozen blitz players). As Tom mentioned, it's a convenient location (a good 45 minute walk from my hotel, or a 15 minute tram ride), but it's the type of area in which some people would not feel safe walking alone at night.

The Box Hill club is located in a more upscale residential district, and is across the street from a train station.

Other Australian cities I visited - Sydney did not have a centrally-located club; both Perth and Adelaide had well-attended clubs.

Comment

Working...
        X